News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

US-41 Interstate Conversion

Started by ssummers72, February 10, 2009, 09:43:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FightingIrish

Quote from: FightingIrish on July 31, 2013, 10:36:41 PM
Saw something tonight on the way home that will likely cause roadgeekgasms.

Yes, the very first I-41 signage went up today! No joke!

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to stop and snap a pic, but hopefully the WISDOT crews working on the road don't decide to cover it overnight. If able, I'll snap a pic on my phone tomorrow and post for all to see.  :biggrin:

TA DA!

This is on the just-reopened Greenfield Av bridge in West Allis. The first one is the view going westbound, the other two eastbound. Seeing as I was taking a picture into the sun on the last two, I did a little readjusting, hence, the weird psychedelic effect.

Apparently, WISDOT decided to post the new regalia to entertain the State Fair-bound crowds. But there it is, your new I-41.

FightingIrish

And... from last week, same bridge. The temporary demotion of US 45

Just kidding. Must have misplaced the blank US shields.  :D

SEWIGuy

Cool pics Fighting!

And those can't be US-41 "mistakes" because US-41 doesn't use that route.

english si

Quote from: SEWIGuy on August 01, 2013, 10:59:18 AMAnd those can't be US-41 "mistakes" because US-41 doesn't use that route.
Yes it does - they rerouted it onto I-41 at the same time they applied for the number...

Is it just those two sign assemblies?

SEWIGuy

Quote from: english si on August 01, 2013, 11:20:15 AM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on August 01, 2013, 10:59:18 AMAnd those can't be US-41 "mistakes" because US-41 doesn't use that route.
Yes it does - they rerouted it onto I-41 at the same time they applied for the number...

I was unaware of that.  No signage indicates that however.

FightingIrish

Those are the only two assemblies I've seen, and probably the only ones that exist so far. The new bridge and interchange just opened last week, and they finally activated the traffic lights and removed most of the cones in the past few days. AFAIK, the sign assemblies went up yesterday. Coincidentally, the Wisconsin State Fair opens today, and that is a primary interchange for out-of-towners coming from the southwest.

Damn near drove off the road last night when I saw the new sign assemblies.

Quote from: SEWIGuy on August 01, 2013, 11:23:14 AM

Yes, the US 41 designation will follow the proposed route of I-41 in a hidden concurrency from Russel, IL to Green Bay. The current US 41 in Milwaukee (Appleton Av, Lisbon Av and the Stadium Freeway) will become WIS 175.

agentsteel53

find me one with the state name.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

SEWIGuy

Quote from: FightingIrish on August 01, 2013, 11:26:27 AM

Those are the only two assemblies I've seen, and probably the only ones that exist so far. The new bridge and interchange just opened last week, and they finally activated the traffic lights and removed most of the cones in the past few days. AFAIK, the sign assemblies went up yesterday. Coincidentally, the Wisconsin State Fair opens today, and that is a primary interchange for out-of-towners coming from the southwest.

Damn near drove off the road last night when I saw the new sign assemblies.

Quote from: SEWIGuy on August 01, 2013, 11:23:14 AM

Yes, the US 41 designation will follow the proposed route of I-41 in a hidden concurrency from Russel, IL to Green Bay. The current US 41 in Milwaukee (Appleton Av, Lisbon Av and the Stadium Freeway) will become WIS 175.

I understand that.  English si said that US-41 was officially rerouted....but the more I think about it, the more I believe we just were talking past one another.  US-41 doesn't officially use the future I-41 route right now.

DaBigE

Quote from: FightingIrish on August 01, 2013, 10:09:40 AM
Quote from: FightingIrish on July 31, 2013, 10:36:41 PM
Saw something tonight on the way home that will likely cause roadgeekgasms.

Yes, the very first I-41 signage went up today! No joke!

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to stop and snap a pic, but hopefully the WISDOT crews working on the road don't decide to cover it overnight. If able, I'll snap a pic on my phone tomorrow and post for all to see.  :biggrin:

TA DA!

This is on the just-reopened Greenfield Av bridge in West Allis. The first one is the view going westbound, the other two eastbound. Seeing as I was taking a picture into the sun on the last two, I did a little readjusting, hence, the weird psychedelic effect.

Apparently, WISDOT decided to post the new regalia to entertain the State Fair-bound crowds. But there it is, your new I-41.

Why two redundant lane signs? Why not one sign with two arrows, with the routes centered? :banghead:  Could have ended up with a smaller overall panel.

A side note, also some of the first LED streetlight installations on the WisDOT system.  :clap:
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Brandon

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 01, 2013, 12:45:55 PM
find me one with the state name.

Wait.  Some contractor in Illinois or ISTHA will come out with one.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

agentsteel53

there was either an 894 in a construction zone a few years ago that was the only state-named example of that number ever spotted.  so, high hopes!

so, speaking of Illinois contractors... when will they put up Illy state-named shields?  those are a challenge to find, too!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

FightingIrish

Bad news, road fans. Looks like WisDOT covered up the 41s.    :-(

But we all here know what lurks behind those green squares....

Stratuscaster

But...did they cover up the I-41's with US-41's?

Big John

Quote from: Stratuscaster on August 02, 2013, 08:40:00 PM
They better not have, since the current US 41 routing is in a different area and had not been converted yet.

Duke87

Quote from: SEWIGuy on July 30, 2013, 12:02:14 PM
Quote from: Henry on July 30, 2013, 10:31:13 AM
Although it is nice to see US 41 become I-41, I think it's a little too much to have it share pavement with I-94 towards Chicago.

The only reason they are doing this is because US-41 does so now.  This will "connect" I-41 to US-41.

Blech. I'd rather the number 41 simply disappear between the southern 94 junction and Milwaukee. Having a designation end as part of a concurrency is just more confusing.

Furthermore, if I-41 is going to share pavement with all of I-894, why keep that designation around?
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

FightingIrish

Quote from: Stratuscaster on August 02, 2013, 08:40:00 PM

Nope. Just big green squares. At least they're the same color, they blend right in to the sign.

Quote from: Duke87 on August 02, 2013, 09:08:29 PM
Although it is nice to see US 41 become I-41, I think it's a little too much to have it share pavement with I-94 towards Chicago.

The only reason they are doing this is because US-41 does so now.  This will "connect" I-41 to US-41.

Blech. I'd rather the number 41 simply disappear between the southern 94 junction and Milwaukee. Having a designation end as part of a concurrency is just more confusing.

Furthermore, if I-41 is going to share pavement with all of I-894, why keep that designation around?

The most common reasons I've heard are: a) it allows them to keep most of the mileage signs where they are, though I imagine they'll be a little bit off; b) It minimizes confusion, as there will only be one version of Hwy 41 in the area; and c) it mollifies the business owners in Fox Valley, as they have an interstate highway that extends into the northern Chicago suburbs.

I assume WisDOT is keeping I-894 around to continue serving as a bypass of downtown. It's the only bypass the area has, so I guess they feel obligated to hold on to it. Plus, after a half century in existence, I-894 is pretty familiar to people.

mgk920

I'm just happy that that logical freeway routing around Milwaukeeland will now have a single route number.

:nod:

Mike

ET21

Quote from: FightingIrish on August 02, 2013, 05:17:05 PM
Bad news, road fans. Looks like WisDOT covered up the 41s.    :-(

But we all here know what lurks behind those green squares....

Watch, they'll put US 41 signs over them....
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

SEWIGuy

No, it is actually going to be less confusing for the locals.  Believe me, from a navigational perspective, this makes the most sense.

It would be kind of fun to see US-45 returned to Lovers Lane/108th St/Mayfair Road...but that's probably not a good idea either.

FightingIrish

Quote from: SEWIGuy on August 03, 2013, 11:32:43 AM

No, it is actually going to be less confusing for the locals.  Believe me, from a navigational perspective, this makes the most sense.

It would be kind of fun to see US-45 returned to Lovers Lane/108th St/Mayfair Road...but that's probably not a good idea either.

That would be REALLY confusing!

english si

Quote from: SEWIGuy on August 03, 2013, 11:32:43 AMNo, it is actually going to be less confusing for the locals.  Believe me, from a navigational perspective, this makes the most sense.
"Head south on the interstate" "But there's only East and West options!"

Big John

Quote from: english si on August 03, 2013, 01:50:58 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on August 03, 2013, 11:32:43 AMNo, it is actually going to be less confusing for the locals.  Believe me, from a navigational perspective, this makes the most sense.
More than that, there will be a wrong-way concurrency of I-41 and I-43 on the east-west portion of I-894.

Molandfreak

Tell that to MN 169.

Quote from: Big John on August 03, 2013, 02:02:54 PM
More than that, there will be a wrong-way concurrency of I-41 and I-43 on the east-west portion of I-894.
Maybe that's the only reason to keep I-894 around.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: english si on August 03, 2013, 01:50:58 PM

Considering that you head south from Milwaukee to Chicago, but now have to go "east" on I-94, adding a "south" I-41 will be helpful.

SSOWorld

Of course they're going to cover them up - I'd be confused myself. 

Oh wait... :pan:
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.