News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New Jersey Turnpike

Started by hotdogPi, December 22, 2013, 09:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 26, 2023, 11:43:59 AM
From what I've heard, it is fairly easy to get a speeding ticket along the most common shunpike routes there, which I suppose is fairly understandable. As has been noted, there's nothing illegal about bypassing a toll plaza (unless the roads you would use are somehow restricted in a way that makes it illegal for you to use them, such as a truck restriction), but there's also nothing illegal about the police knowing that people do this and targeting those people for stricter enforcement of traffic laws like speeding, running red lights, whatever, and it's hardly a surprise the police would do so.
The speed limit is 50 mph on Rt. 4, DE's standard limit.  In my times using the road, I can't recall seeing any police along the route dealing with speed enforcement.  Normal speeds tend to be about 60 mph or so by many, which is the normal speed in the overall Rt. 4 corridor from 896 towards DE  7, other than in the more congested areas of the highway. 

It should also be noted that this is a normal route for Delawareans as well to get between a large shopping center and development on the south end of DE 4 and the U of D and other residential/commercial area from 896 and points north.  There's a lot of cross traffic at 896 and 4 also showing how much traffic is local, vs toll-bypass traffic.

DE has posted 'Strictly Enforced' signage on the speed limit signs on the past, which is more threat than promise.  These signs have been used elsewhere throughout DE in attempts to get people to slow down, including on 65 mph DE 1. Unless it's a small town like Newport, the leeway for speed is pretty great throughout Delaware in my observations and experiences.

DE does have a red light camera on 896 approaching Rt. 4, but it gets people going both left and straight.  In the immediate area, there's 5 right light cameras, with the other 4 not positioned along the toll-bypass route.  Throughout the state, over 3 dozen locations have cameras, most of them targeting local traffic.

1995hoo

I haven't driven through there (as opposed to passing through on the Acela) in years. The last time I drove north, we took the Bay Bridge and went up the Eastern Shore because I wanted to check out the new US-301, and that was now over four years ago June 2019). Hence why I began my comment with the words "[f]rom what I've heard."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

tmoore952

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 24, 2023, 11:01:28 PM
Quote from: lstone19 on December 24, 2023, 07:11:54 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on December 24, 2023, 04:43:13 PM
Interesting article about the NJ Turnpike. Call it click bait or old news but 101.5 radio published it sometimes and thought it's an interesting story.

https://943thepoint.com/most-expensive-new-jersey-toll-road/

Seemed worthless to me. It compared average toll paid rather than toll per mile. Of course the PA Turnpike will have an average higher toll - it's longer and doesn't have the short commuter trips the way the NJ Turnpike does

Oh, it's worthless all right.  By clicking on the source (AZ Animals, whoever that is) to view the 10 highest priced toll roads: 

The website's #7 most expensive toll road is:  The Delaware Turnpike, at $14.00.  The claim:  "The Delaware Turnpike is the seventh most expensive toll road in the United States, with an average cost of $14.00 for a passenger car. The turnpike is 67 miles long and runs from the New Jersey border to the Maryland border."

Let me try this again (I had a whole response typed out but it wouldn't post).

There are several problems with the Delaware Turnpike paragraph, and for that reason it is not easy to make simple corrections. I'm not getting paid for correcting erroneous claims by NJ radio stations, so I'll only cover one of them.

If you replace "Delaware Turnpike" with "JFK Memorial Highway" you get close to the listed mileage. It is 64 miles from the I-95/295/495 interchange in Delaware (historically known as Farnhurst Interchange) to the MD 43 (Exit 77) interchange in MD, which is where the JFK Memorial Highway originally ended.  I suspect for the radio station to get to 67 miles (and the listed toll) they are including the approximately 3 miles to the NJ line via the Delaware Memorial Bridge (and including that toll), but those three miles are not (and have never been) part of either the Delaware Turnpike OR the JFK Memorial Highway.

The other thing I'll mention, is that when I do shunpike near Newark (I normally only do this southbound -- northbound I usually use US 1 since I am going to the extreme northern tip of Delaware), I use DE 4 sometimes, and other times I use Chestnut Hill Road (which is the old DE 4 -- until the 1980s). I've never had any problems with speeding, which is easy when you don't speed.

Alps

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 26, 2023, 12:42:44 PM
From what I've heard, it is fairly easy to get a speeding ticket along the most common shunpike routes there, which I suppose is fairly understandable. As has been noted, there's nothing illegal about bypassing a toll plaza (unless the roads you would use are somehow restricted in a way that makes it illegal for you to use them, such as a truck restriction), but there's also nothing illegal about the police knowing that people do this and targeting those people for stricter enforcement of traffic laws like speeding, running red lights, whatever, and it's hardly a surprise the police would do so.
The speed limit is 50 mph on Rt. 4, DE's standard limit.  In my times using the road, I can't recall seeing any police along the route dealing with speed enforcement.  Normal speeds tend to be about 60 mph or so by many, which is the normal speed in the overall Rt. 4 corridor from 896 towards DE  7, other than in the more congested areas of the highway. 

It should also be noted that this is a normal route for Delawareans as well to get between a large shopping center and development on the south end of DE 4 and the U of D and other residential/commercial area from 896 and points north.  There's a lot of cross traffic at 896 and 4 also showing how much traffic is local, vs toll-bypass traffic.

DE has posted 'Strictly Enforced' signage on the speed limit signs on the past, which is more threat than promise.  These signs have been used elsewhere throughout DE in attempts to get people to slow down, including on 65 mph DE 1. Unless it's a small town like Newport, the leeway for speed is pretty great throughout Delaware in my observations and experiences.

DE does have a red light camera on 896 approaching Rt. 4, but it gets people going both left and straight.  In the immediate area, there's 5 right light cameras, with the other 4 not positioned along the toll-bypass route.  Throughout the state, over 3 dozen locations have cameras, most of them targeting local traffic.
There's also two other left turns you can make before getting to 4, though the recent median closure on MD 279 kinda killed the benefits of using those instead.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Alps on December 27, 2023, 07:29:07 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 26, 2023, 12:42:44 PM

There's also two other left turns you can make before getting to 4, though the recent median closure on MD 279 kinda killed the benefits of using those instead.

Those options were a bit tricky if you didn't know where you were going.  Old Chapel Hill into 279 is still available though.

There's another alternative, via 896 South to Old Baltimore Pike, but same thing - you gotta know when to turn to use it effectively.

SignBridge

Quote from: Alps on November 20, 2023, 07:09:27 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 20, 2023, 02:04:42 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on November 20, 2023, 08:41:17 AM
...Oh never mind.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/igWQuQcLZu33sxq7A
It has new compliant signs.

I still disagree with the NJ Turnpike's approach that they say the exit is 1/4 mile ahead...when the decel lane is beginning.
1/4 mile sign belongs 1/4 mile before the exit gore, per MUTCD. NJTP chooses to have a long exit to facilitate decel.

Update to this discussion: I recently discovered that on the Garden State Pkwy. at some exits (notably 163 northbound) unbelievably there is no sign at all at the beginning of the long deceleration lane. Last advance sign is 1/2 mile back. And what's worse is the new (2023) MUTCD actually permits this practice. (Pages 305, 316, Sec. 2E-25-05). On page 305 the graphic surprisingly shows the last advance sign as far back as 1 mile before an unsigned decel. lane. The new Manual recommends (not a standard) that if the exit direction sign is mounted overhead, then it should be in vicinity of the theoretical gore, not at the beginning of the decel. lane.

I think a sign at the beginning of a parallel (not tapered) deceleration lane should be required. At least on the Turnpike, they have the 1/4 mile sign. Can't imagine why they didn't follow the same practice on the GS Parkway.

jeffandnicole

One of the more grim aspects of driving is that fatals are going to happen.  One of the things the NJTA is open about is listing the fatal crashes for the year on the Turnpike and Parkway.  In January's meeting agenda, every crash that resulted in a fatality in 2023 is printed with a description of the accident investigation and the number of people that died.  It does not list names.

There were 24 fatal crashes on the Turnpike, with 27 deaths.  There were 17 fatals on the Parkway, with 19 deaths.

Pages 86-94 of the January Meeting Agenda: https://www.njta.com/media/7973/njta-final-agenda-for-bm-1-30-2024.pdf

Continuing on Page 95 is the monthly report of crashes, aides, and summonses on the NJTA roadways, with YTD summary.  To summarize for both toll roads, in 2023 the NJSP investigated 16,807 crashes (more than 2022), responded to 45,169 calls for aid (more than 2022), and issued 107,273 summonses (less than 2022).  If you think most of them were for speeding, you would be way wrong (although they were most likely the majority of any type of ticket issued).  In 2023 only 15,878 tickets were written for speeding, about 15% of the overall total.  Most were written on the Parkway.  Focusing on the Turnpike, only 5,618 speeding tickets were issued, about 15 per day.

Great Lakes Roads

3% toll hike on the Turnpike system starting on March 1st (it's been approved by Gov. Murphy)... Going up another 15 cents!

roadman65

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on February 01, 2024, 12:19:03 AM
3% toll hike on the Turnpike system starting on March 1st (it's been approved by Gov. Murphy)... Going up another 15 cents!

Yet the Parkway is only going up five cents.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman65 on February 01, 2024, 07:12:08 AM
Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on February 01, 2024, 12:19:03 AM

Yet the Parkway is only going up five cents.

Those figures are averages, based on what the average traveler spends on the Turnpike and Parkway.

For the full length, it appears the Turnpike will have a 60 - 65 cent increase for cash and Peak Time EZ Pass travelers, from $20.05 to $20.65 or $20.70 (depending on how they round the increase). Off Peak EZ Pass travelers should see an increase of about 45-46 cents, from $15.01 to $15.46 or $15.47.

Parkway travelers driving the full length paying cash should see an increase of about 35 cents, from $11.55 to $11.90. EZ Pass users will go from $11.11 to $11.44 or $11.45.

In one story I read, some politicians are upset at the annual increases. Maybe they need to be reminded the annual increases are in response to politician's grips of occasional tolling changes that saw large price increases, which they didn't like either.

Mergingtraffic

Any news on the I-695 for the spur? Or is that just an official office use thing?
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

The Ghostbuster

What Interstate 695 spur? The only Interstate 695 spur in New Jersey history was the one between Interstate 95 and Interstate 287 that was killed when the Somerset Expressway was canceled in 1982. While I would like the Exit 1-to-Exit 6 segment of the New Jersey Turnpike to be renumbered from NJ 700 to Interstate 695, I acknowledge that it has as much of a chance of happening as making NJ 42 and the Atlantic City Expressway an extension of Interstate 76, logical as it may seem.

Alps

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on February 01, 2024, 05:10:04 PM
Any news on the I-695 for the spur? Or is that just an official office use thing?
I believe it has been officially approved for the Easterly Alignment by FHWA.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 01, 2024, 05:19:52 PM
What Interstate 695 spur? The only Interstate 695 spur in New Jersey history was the one between Interstate 95 and Interstate 287 that was killed when the Somerset Expressway was canceled in 1982. While I would like the Exit 1-to-Exit 6 segment of the New Jersey Turnpike to be renumbered from NJ 700 to Interstate 695, I acknowledge that it has as much of a chance of happening as making NJ 42 and the Atlantic City Expressway an extension of Interstate 76, logical as it may seem.

This one:  https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33230.msg2868762#msg2868762

SignBridge

What were the determining factors in which alignment (East or West) would be the I-695.

lstone19

Quote from: SignBridge on February 02, 2024, 05:04:37 PM
What were the determining factors in which alignment (East or West) would be the I-695.

Through I-95 traffic is encouraged to use the western roadway. At the north end, the ramp configuration is designed for the main flows to be western roadway to/from the GWB and eastern roadway to/from I-80. Hence, it would make sense for the western roadway to carry the I-95 number.

Don'tKnowYet

Quote from: lstone19 on February 02, 2024, 06:41:40 PM

Through I-95 traffic is encouraged to use the western roadway. At the north end, the ramp configuration is designed for the main flows to be western roadway to/from the GWB and eastern roadway to/from I-80. Hence, it would make sense for the western roadway to carry the I-95 number.

That's correct.  I know a friend of a friend of a friend that has access to Turnpike employees and I'm told that there were two simple reasons.  First is as you stated.  The southbound through movements in what they refer to as the "Northern Mixing Bowl" has 95 from the bridge form the West and the east in formed from I-80.  This theory minimizes the weaving and lane changes approaching the mixing bowl.  Secondarily, was to keep the through movement away from Lincoln Tunnel commuters.

I do wonder though if the application reroutes 95 off of the East because the east was the original alignment.  To my knowledge, when 95 shields starting showing up on signing on the West I don't think they asked.

lstone19

Quote from: Don'tKnowYet on February 02, 2024, 07:57:23 PM
Quote from: lstone19 on February 02, 2024, 06:41:40 PM

That's correct.  I know a friend of a friend of a friend that has access to Turnpike employees and I'm told that there were two simple reasons.  First is as you stated.  The southbound through movements in what they refer to as the "Northern Mixing Bowl" has 95 from the bridge form the West and the east in formed from I-80.  This theory minimizes the weaving and lane changes approaching the mixing bowl.  Secondarily, was to keep the through movement away from Lincoln Tunnel commuters.

I do wonder though if the application reroutes 95 off of the East because the east was the original alignment.  To my knowledge, when 95 shields starting showing up on signing on the West I don't think they asked.

One of the excellent design elements of the "Northern Mixing Bowl" is that eastern road to/from I-80 and western road to/from GWB do not share any roadway. As you said, minimizes weaving and minimizes the impact of congestion in one of the major movements on the other. From the viewpoint of traffic flow logic, it's the same as if the "West-GWB" highway crossed the "Lincoln Tunnel-I-80" highway at an interchange.

artmalk

So does this mean we will actually see I-695 on the Eastern spur? If so, when?

SignBridge

Well for what it's worth, I think the current sign configurations are good. Seems to me that adding yet another route number to this already complicated road maze will just cause more complexity that we don't need. 

tmoore952

The 10 or so times I have driven to the GWB using the NJT, I always preferred the Eastern alignment precisely because it was the original route. I'd even get off at the US 46 EB exit and take that to the GWB.

I did take the Western alignment a couple times, and while it was nice, I missed the historical context since it was built later.

roadman65

I like the Eastern Spur because it's got six lanes and less traffic than the Western Spur with only four overcrowded lanes.

I never did understand why they built the western spur at four lanes north of Exit 16W, considering the amount of traffic being in a large metropolitan area. Even in 1971, when it opened, they already had the eastern Spur built to six lanes due to traffic demands of the time. Yet they built this part of the spur to this configuration.

Sheryl Crowe

TheDon102

Quote from: roadman65 on February 03, 2024, 02:44:06 PM
I like the Eastern Spur because it's got six lanes and less traffic than the Western Spur with only four overcrowded lanes.

I never did understand why they built the western spur at four lanes north of Exit 16W, considering the amount of traffic being in a large metropolitan area. Even in 1971, when it opened, they already had the eastern Spur built to six lanes due to traffic demands of the time. Yet they built this part of the spur to this configuration.

If I'm not mistaken the western spur is supposed to be widened soon

vdeane

Quote from: roadman65 on February 03, 2024, 02:44:06 PM

Same.  Whenever I'm estimating trips, Google shows more congestion on the Western than the Eastern, so I take the Eastern.  With ORT now on the Eastern as well as the Western, it's no contest.  Hopefully the widening will fix that.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

roadman65

https://maps.app.goo.gl/ZZrUqcx4zpQjiqRG7
Wonder if this I-95 shield will soon be replaced.

I think changing this out would add confusion as I-95 is the straight through route and the eastern spur isn't long enough of a loop to warrant its own number.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.