Regional Boards > Mid-Atlantic

Locals don't want the US 1 overpasses near Crystal City torn down

(1/25) > >>

kernals12:
The Virginia DOT is considering replacing 3 grade-separated interchanges on Richmond Highway in Arlington near Crystal City with an at-grade boulevard. But the locals are pretty clear that they want them to stay.

In a survey taken during a September 30 community meeting held by the group Livability 22202, participants overwhelmingly said they preferred crossing at the overpasses whereas they considered the existing at-grade intersections dangerous and inconvenient, as it requires crossing 6 lanes of traffic. We've had freeway revolts before, but this may be the first boulevard revolt.

In fact, maybe they can talk VDOT into doing the opposite and adding interchanges at 23rd and 20th streets, creating a freeway all the way to the Reagan Airport Connector, as was planned in the 70s.

1995hoo:
You mean Reagan Airport. Dulles Airport is about 20 to 25 miles to the west. Route 233 is a short stub route connecting Route 1 to Reagan Airport.

There is about zero chance of more interchanges being added through there. There was a survey last month or the month before about multi-modal improvements in that area. Arlington authorities view Route 1–with some justification, I have to say–as a sort of like a wall splitting Crystal City in two.

Bear in mind that Amazon is to become a major tenant in that area, plus Arlington County is not particularly interested in highway-style construction anyway because they’re more into the so-called "smart growth" concept than they are in making it easier for people to pass through. They would love it if they could find a way to create housing for Amazon workers who would then walk or bike to work.

This is similar to your other recent thread in which you didn’t believe those of us who live around here when we said Arlington County would have zero political interest in turning US-50 through the county into a full controlled-access freeway. Arlington is more interested in (a) the new Metrorail stop under construction at Potomac Yard, (b) the plan to twin the Long Bridge, and (c) the proposal to build a new dedicated bike and pedestrian bridge between the Long Bridge and the Fenwick Bridge.

I think right now the two most notable road projects on the horizon in Arlington County are the realignment of Columbia Pike near the Air Force Memorial to allow for the expansion of Arlington Cemetery and the reconstruction of the I-395/Boundary Channel Drive interchange.

kernals12:

--- Quote from: 1995hoo on December 14, 2020, 10:40:00 PM ---You mean Reagan Airport. Dulles Airport is about 20 to 25 miles to the west. Route 233 is a short stub route connecting Route 1 to Reagan Airport.

There is about zero chance of more interchanges being added through there. There was a survey last month or the month before about multi-modal improvements in that area. Arlington authorities view Route 1–with some justification, I have to say–as a sort of like a wall splitting Crystal City in two.

Bear in mind that Amazon is to become a major tenant in that area, plus Arlington County is not particularly interested in highway-style construction anyway because they’re more into the so-called "smart growth" concept than they are in making it easier for people to pass through. They would love it if they could find a way to create housing for Amazon workers who would then walk or bike to work.

This is similar to your other recent thread in which you didn’t believe those of us who live around here when we said Arlington County would have zero political interest in turning US-50 through the county into a full controlled-access freeway. Arlington is more interested in (a) the new Metrorail stop under construction at Potomac Yard, (b) the plan to twin the Long Bridge, and (c) the proposal to build a new dedicated bike and pedestrian bridge between the Long Bridge and the Fenwick Bridge.

I think right now the two most notable road projects on the horizon in Arlington County are the realignment of Columbia Pike near the Air Force Memorial to allow for the expansion of Arlington Cemetery and the reconstruction of the I-395/Boundary Channel Drive interchange.

--- End quote ---

And having it at-grade would make it worse.

1995hoo:
I didn’t say anything about removing interchanges to make it fully at-grade. I was only responding to your reference to adding interchanges, as set forth in your final paragraph.

AlexandriaVA:
I know the area very well, and I'll offer that the survey population needs scrutiny.

Those living in the single-family homes in the western part of the survey area are much more likely to drive than to walk along the Route 1 corridor. Those living along Route 1 are more likely to walk (although a significant portion of them still own cars), particularly those east of Route 1. That will certainly impact the experiences for each of the parties involved.

There's zero chance Arlington will build new interchanges, and they're still looking to tear down the existing ones. One of the remedies to the amount of lanes needing to cross is to simply reduce the amount of lanes.

After all, it's not like US-1 is a continuous 6-lane highway all the way down through Alexandria. South of Reed Avenue, at Potomac Yard, US-1 is down to 2 lanes in each direction (https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8312462,-77.0512819,156m/data=!3m1!1e3), in a very developed area.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version