National Boards > Road Enthusiasts Meetings

Buffalo, NY Road & Travel Enthusiasts Meeting - July 29, 2023

<< < (3/14) > >>

signalman:

--- Quote from: 74/171FAN on October 26, 2022, 09:16:56 AM ---I guess I should ask now if we are planning to enter Canada so I can move forward with getting a passport.

--- End quote ---
I don't think that Dan has any intention on crossing the border as part of the official meet tour. The border crossing in and of itself and customs is a great way to get the group broken up (a car in the entourage is chosen for a secondary as an example). I'm certain that he tries to keep the potential of that happening to a minimum. Even if the group doesn't get broken up, the queue leading up to the crossing and customs can be a very time consuming endeavor.

Also keep in mind that we'd have to re-enter the United States and deal with US customs. Trying to explain why we spent 34 minutes in Canada is certain to raise red flags.

74/171FAN:

--- Quote from: signalman on October 26, 2022, 09:27:00 AM ---
--- Quote from: 74/171FAN on October 26, 2022, 09:16:56 AM ---I guess I should ask now if we are planning to enter Canada so I can move forward with getting a passport.

--- End quote ---
I don't think that Dan has any intention on crossing the border as part of the official meet tour. The border crossing in and of itself and customs is a great way to get the group broken up (a car in the entourage is chosen for a secondary as an example). I'm certain that he tries to keep the potential of that happening to a minimum. Even if the group doesn't get broken up, the queue leading up to the crossing and customs can be a very time consuming endeavor.

Also keep in mind that we'd have to re-enter the United States and deal with US customs. Trying to explain why we spent 34 minutes in Canada is certain to raise red flags.

--- End quote ---

I agree with you on that.  Hence part of why I sight clinched the NY 384 and I-190 bridges up in Niagara Falls in August (and I probably would have even if I had a passport).

Laura:

--- Quote from: 74/171FAN on October 26, 2022, 10:23:51 AM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

I agree with you on that.  Hence part of why I slight clinched the NY 384 and I-190 bridges up in Niagara Falls in August (and I probably would have even if I had a passport).

--- End quote ---

So based on what I'm reading, if you ride Maid of the Mist from Niagara Falls, NY, you cross briefly into Canadian waters and you don't need a passport. We will likely do this the Sunday after the meet, which could be a really fun post-meet activity for others who are staying longer than a day in the Buffalo/Niagara area!

Rothman:

--- Quote from: Laura on October 26, 2022, 03:16:30 PM ---
--- Quote from: 74/171FAN on October 26, 2022, 10:23:51 AM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

I agree with you on that.  Hence part of why I slight clinched the NY 384 and I-190 bridges up in Niagara Falls in August (and I probably would have even if I had a passport).

--- End quote ---

So based on what I'm reading, if you ride Maid of the Mist from Niagara Falls, NY, you cross briefly into Canadian waters and you don't need a passport. We will likely do this the Sunday after the meet, which could be a really fun post-meet activity for others who are staying longer than a day in the Buffalo/Niagara area!

--- End quote ---
Prepare for the sardine walk to the elevator... :D

Alps:

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
A two-day road meet could have a second day in Canada. If that's the case, it would probably start and end there so that this would become a non-issue - you cross each way independent of the meet.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version