Regional Boards > Mountain West

Why doesn't New Mexico assign exit numbers to unnumbered interchanges?

<< < (2/6) > >>

The Ghostbuster:
I prefer exits to have numbers (preferably mileage-based). I know some states number their freeway/expressway/tollway exits more extensively than others do. Outside of New Mexico's Interstates, about the only roadways that could be given exit numbers are the US 70 freeway east of Las Cruces, and the NM 423 Paseo Del Norte Blvd. NE. Let me know if I missed any others.

MattHanson939:

--- Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 23, 2023, 12:57:24 PM ---I prefer exits to have numbers (preferably mileage-based). I know some states number their freeway/expressway/tollway exits more extensively than others do. Outside of New Mexico's Interstates, about the only roadways that could be given exit numbers are the US 70 freeway east of Las Cruces, and the NM 423 Paseo Del Norte Blvd. NE. Let me know if I missed any others.

--- End quote ---

As I mentioned before, a couple interchanges on the US 84/285 freeway-expressway north of Santa Fe that were built in the late '90s and early 2000s could be given exit numbers.  In particular, the interchange with NM 502 in Pojoaque ought to be numbered.  The interchange with NM 599 just north of Santa Fe is given an exit number but only going southbound.  The exit number should also be present going northbound.  On NM 599, the interchanges with Camino La Tierra/Calle Nopal and Ridgetop Road should also be numbered to retain consistency with newer interchanges built during the 2010s, which do have exit numbers.

New Mexico doesn't do sequential-based exit numbers on any of its highways at all.  They're always mileage-based.

abqtraveler:

--- Quote from: MattHanson939 on March 25, 2023, 11:09:10 AM ---
--- Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 23, 2023, 12:57:24 PM ---I prefer exits to have numbers (preferably mileage-based). I know some states number their freeway/expressway/tollway exits more extensively than others do. Outside of New Mexico's Interstates, about the only roadways that could be given exit numbers are the US 70 freeway east of Las Cruces, and the NM 423 Paseo Del Norte Blvd. NE. Let me know if I missed any others.

--- End quote ---

As I mentioned before, a couple interchanges on the US 84/285 freeway-expressway north of Santa Fe that were built in the late '90s and early 2000s could be given exit numbers.  In particular, the interchange with NM 502 in Pojoaque ought to be numbered.  The interchange with NM 599 just north of Santa Fe is given an exit number but only going southbound.  The exit number should also be present going northbound.  On NM 599, the interchanges with Camino La Tierra/Calle Nopal and Ridgetop Road should also be numbered to retain consistency with newer interchanges built during the 2010s, which do have exit numbers.

New Mexico doesn't do sequential-based exit numbers on any of its highways at all.  They're always mileage-based.

--- End quote ---
I don't think New Mexico ever had sequential numbers. I think they went with mileage-based numbers from the beginning.

jtespi:

--- Quote from: DJStephens on March 20, 2023, 02:33:52 PM ---    The las Cruces "expressway" segment of US 70 is of a mish-mash of varying quality and standards.  Hatched in the mid nineties, and built in the '99 to '04 timeframe, as part of Gary Johnson's and Pete Rahn's "do it on the cheap" mindset, the project removed several at grade intersections that had been the scene of grisly T bones since the sixties.   
    Frankly, looking back, would have spent a bit more, and applied Interstate design standards to the the stretch.  Full Shoulders, No Shifting at Overpasses, and coherent deceleration and acceleration lanes at Exits.   Some locations have adequate decel / accel lanes, others do not.  An Auxiliary lane exists in one stretch, but not in another where there should be one.   Initial Re construction did not provide for crossover incident protection, aside from "field fence".  Subsesquent mods provided a double?!? cable barrier, that is fragile, and highly suseptible to damage.  Why on earth didn't they just put in Double Faced CBR?!?   Monotube gantries are placed "willy nilly" often way to close to the main lanes or too near a decel lane that is too short.  More recently "Sylvia" message boards were erected, again, too close to the main lanes or too close to an decel / exit ramp that is too short.  For heavens sake, place it far enough away to provide a ten foot shoulder! 
      It did not also take into account the very real probability of the area becoming a retirement "mecca" as recent development has borne out.   No one saw this coming?  Up to 5000 homes, are slated or are already extant in the N Sonoma Ranch Blvd area, N of the expressway.   Each home, will have up to three personal vehicles and they will travel out of the area for shopping, work, or sightseeing.  Most are new west coast transplants.   Nightmarish traffic jams await, in the near future, in what was once a "sleepy" little town.  A once little town, that now has grown to 125,000 residents, if everyone is counted, which they are not.   Absolutely no foresight or planning exists here.  Seems par for the course, for the entire state, and W Texas as well.   

--- End quote ---

Amazingly, the US-70 mainlines still have their original pavement between Rinconada and Nasa Rd. They just crack sealed it about 8 years ago and it is very bumpy now. Since they've started to repave portions of the frontage road at intersections, I really hope they'll fully repave the US-70 mainlines. After 20+ years of service, the asphalt just needs to be replaced.
I hope they use high quality asphalt like they used in the 2009 repave of I-25 in Las Cruces. That lasted good for 10 years. The recently repaved (around 2020-2021) section of US-70 through WSMR is already starting to become rough in sections.

You can already see backups happening at rush hour at the Sonoma Ranch exit going eastbound. Exiting traffic wanting to turn left (north on Sonoma Ranch) is getting to the point where it backs up to the US-70 EB mainlines. That's where they should have built an exit-only lane in both directions between Rinconada and Sonoma Ranch. There's only 500 m (1640 ft) of separation between the two entrance and exit ramps.

I don't see them ever numbering the exits on US-70 in Las Cruces. Partly because most residents just refer to the exits by their names (i.e. the Sonoma Ranch exit or the Nasa Road exit) and because the exit numbers would be similar to those along I-10 in Las Cruces. The US-70 mile markers start at 151 at the I-25 interchange and go to 161 by Nasa Rd. I-10's exit numbers are 135 to 144 in Las Cruces. Although I think the first reason is more valid, since people know the US-70 exits by the street's name.

Thankfully, the NMDOT is planning on eventually making I-25 six lanes north of Lohman. There's regular daily backups on I-25 northbound approaching the US-70 interchange and extending ~2.3 km (1.4 mi) south to the Spruce Ave bridge. They have a project website and the project is officially known as the I-25 Safety and Capacity Study (Control Number LC00380).

DJStephens:

--- Quote from: jtespi on April 27, 2023, 02:03:40 AM ---Amazingly, the US-70 mainlines still have their original pavement between Rinconada and Nasa Rd. They just crack sealed it about 8 years ago and it is very bumpy now. Since they've started to repave portions of the frontage road at intersections, I really hope they'll fully repave the US-70 mainlines. After 20+ years of service, the asphalt just needs to be replaced.
I hope they use high quality asphalt like they used in the 2009 repave of I-25 in Las Cruces. That lasted good for 10 years. The recently repaved (around 2020-2021) section of US-70 through WSMR is already starting to become rough in sections.
You can already see backups happening at rush hour at the Sonoma Ranch exit going eastbound. Exiting traffic wanting to turn left (north on Sonoma Ranch) is getting to the point where it backs up to the US-70 EB mainlines. That's where they should have built an exit-only lane in both directions between Rinconada and Sonoma Ranch. There's only 500 m (1640 ft) of separation between the two entrance and exit ramps.

I don't see them ever numbering the exits on US-70 in Las Cruces. Partly because most residents just refer to the exits by their names (i.e. the Sonoma Ranch exit or the Nasa Road exit) and because the exit numbers would be similar to those along I-10 in Las Cruces. The US-70 mile markers start at 151 at the I-25 interchange and go to 161 by Nasa Rd. I-10's exit numbers are 135 to 144 in Las Cruces. Although I think the first reason is more valid, since people know the US-70 exits by the street's name.

Thankfully, the NMDOT is planning on eventually making I-25 six lanes north of Lohman. There's regular daily backups on I-25 northbound approaching the US-70 interchange and extending ~2.3 km (1.4 mi) south to the Spruce Ave bridge. They have a project website and the project is officially known as the I-25 Safety and Capacity Study (Control Number LC00380).

--- End quote ---
There is an "auxiliary" lane for 70 EB between Rinconada and Sonoma Ranch.  There isn't one EB, where there should be one.   That is where the monotube Sonoma Ranch Exit gantry, and the more recent "Sylvia" message board are placed erroneously.  The amount of traffic, that will seek to travel up and down this stretch of Sonoma Ranch, it's beyond possible belief.  Don't believe that there was any sort of foresight for this.
As for I-25 widening, noticed that yet another "Sylvia' message board was installed, with concrete base, just outside the R guardrail on 25 south of Exit 6.  Isn't that going to need to be ripped out, and moved, when the widening happens?!?   There's another one, also just outside the R guardrail, S of University.   Why can't these devices be installed, on the Median Centerline??   The entire 25 corridor, from the 10 interchange, to just N of Exit 6, is a prime example of mistakes and "piecemealing".  The ROW corridor is wide enough, that when reconstruction started ( N Main in '99) some sort of long term vision with six lanes, a 60 foot median, and interchange bridges with far greater horizontal clearances could have been envisioned.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version