News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

AARoads Wiki Recent Changes

Started by Scott5114, January 10, 2024, 10:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Use this thread to post any big updates you've done to the AARoads Wiki that you're proud of—major expansions, especially those with new research not yet known to the roadgeek community, total rewrites/improvements, removing incorrect information, and things of that nature. (More minor edits like copyediting, correcting links, standardizing formatting, and things of that nature, whiled appreciated, aren't what this thread is for.)

If you're not a wiki editor, and you spot any errors or have any suggestions about the work shown, feel free to share them here as well. (Or better yet, why not get involved yourself? We're always looking for new editors!)

Over New Year's, I merged the article for Interstate 515 into Interstate 11, which meant I had to completely restructure the article. I eliminated a bunch of redundant text that was repeated in two different sections of the article. The resulting article flows a lot better. Now I need to update the map to show the extension to SR 157.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Molandfreak

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 10, 2024, 10:21:28 PM
Use this thread to post any big updates you've done to the AARoads Wiki that you're proud of—major expansions, especially those with new research not yet known to the roadgeek community, total rewrites/improvements, removing incorrect information, and things of that nature. (More minor edits like copyediting, correcting links, standardizing formatting, and things of that nature, whiled appreciated, aren't what this thread is for.)

If you're not a wiki editor, and you spot any errors or have any suggestions about the work shown, feel free to share them here as well. (Or better yet, why not get involved yourself? We're always looking for new editors!)

Over New Year's, I merged the article for Interstate 515 into Interstate 11, which meant I had to completely restructure the article. I eliminated a bunch of redundant text that was repeated in two different sections of the article. The resulting article flows a lot better. Now I need to update the map to show the extension to SR 157.
I never saw that diamond HOV icon (in the exit list) before on the exit lists of Wikipedia. Is that a new addition?
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Scott5114

I'm not entirely sure when it was added or if it's site standard; most of my editing has been in states with no HOV lanes up to now. That portion of the exit list was copied from the U.S. Route 95 in Nevada article.

BMACS001

There's already too many to post! But on the old Wiki, a lot of opening dates for freeways and new major highways are just approximations based on the maps that editors have at their disposal, which sometimes don't catch new highway openings or jump the gun on openings... but even if it's right, the error bars can be as large as a decade. So I set out to more accurately log the opening dates for these highways, using all the newspaper archives I have at my disposal. And I'm making tremendous progress through upstate New York- in 95% of cases, I can nail down a highway opening date after trawling through loads of false leads and articles featuring things on the road, not necessarily about the road itself (of which there could be thousands). I've also been importing the highways I do find dates on into OpenHistoricalMap, and now you can scrub through to see the development of New York's freeway and arterial network at a glance... and in the case of Albany, see how it destroyed the city. I'm working through the Capital District right now, and I'll be working my way down the Hudson once I'm done (though I do not look forward to the glut around the city). Go to any article on AARW about a freeway in New York and the dates will be there, but I suggest Interstate 86- that was the most layered series of openings I've tackled.

TheCatalyst31

I started a new article on Kentucky Route 1428, which had a decent number of inbound links. My post about it in Discord is what reminded Scott to start this thread.

moabdave

I'm still catching up on my promised maintenance and import edits. However, probably my biggest "new additions" to the AARoads Wiki are Nevada State Route 3C, Nevada State Route 8A and a few minor updates to  Interstate 70 in Colorado.

Rothman

Quote from: TheCatalyst31 on January 10, 2024, 11:51:01 PM
I started a new article on Kentucky Route 1428, which had a decent number of inbound links. My post about it in Discord is what reminded Scott to start this thread.
My mother's family is from the area.  I believe the route was not always discontiguous.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

vdeane

Quote from: BMACS001 on January 10, 2024, 11:00:48 PM
There's already too many to post! But on the old Wiki, a lot of opening dates for freeways and new major highways are just approximations based on the maps that editors have at their disposal, which sometimes don't catch new highway openings or jump the gun on openings... but even if it's right, the error bars can be as large as a decade. So I set out to more accurately log the opening dates for these highways, using all the newspaper archives I have at my disposal. And I'm making tremendous progress through upstate New York- in 95% of cases, I can nail down a highway opening date after trawling through loads of false leads and articles featuring things on the road, not necessarily about the road itself (of which there could be thousands). I've also been importing the highways I do find dates on into OpenHistoricalMap, and now you can scrub through to see the development of New York's freeway and arterial network at a glance... and in the case of Albany, see how it destroyed the city. I'm working through the Capital District right now, and I'll be working my way down the Hudson once I'm done (though I do not look forward to the glut around the city). Go to any article on AARW about a freeway in New York and the dates will be there, but I suggest Interstate 86- that was the most layered series of openings I've tackled.
Sounds interesting.  Is there a viewer?  I tried searching for Open Historical Map, but the map I found didn't look very useful.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

BMACS001

Quote from: vdeane on January 11, 2024, 12:42:36 PM
Sounds interesting.  Is there a viewer?  I tried searching for Open Historical Map, but the map I found didn't look very useful.
openhistoricalmap.org is about as good as you'll get

vdeane

Quote from: BMACS001 on January 16, 2024, 09:46:49 PM
Quote from: vdeane on January 11, 2024, 12:42:36 PM
openhistoricalmap.org is about as good as you'll get
I gave it a second try and the thing for selecting a date to view finally appeared.  That's what was missing before.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

Quote from: Rothman on January 11, 2024, 07:00:09 AM
Quote from: TheCatalyst31 on January 10, 2024, 11:51:01 PM
My mother's family is from the area.  I believe the route was not always discontiguous.

I haven't read the wiki piece yet, but originally, KY 1428 was the route of KY 80 from Martin to Allen, and then the route of US 23/US 460 between Martin and Paintsville. US 23 was originally relocated to what is now KY 321, and the section west of the river became KY 1428. When the four-lane portion was built between Prestonsburg and Paintsville,  much of it was overlaid on what had been KY 1428 (and US 23 prior to that). As it stands now, there's a distinct discrete portion of KY 1428 in Floyd County and another section in Johnson County. I don't recall KY 1428 ever being signed concurrently with US 23/US 460 through that area.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ozarkman417

I started an editing project on Wikipedia but I'll likely make my changes on the AARoads Wiki instead. The article I'm working on is Missouri Route 465. I updated this article on Wikipedia when the route was decommissioned, but that was four years ago. In my sandbox, I switched most references to MO 465 to "Ozark Mountain Highroad" or just "Highroad" on the article and added on to the history section. But I can't rename the MO 465 page because "Ozark Mountain Highroad" redirects to the  MO 76 page. So one option is to edit the redirect and rename the article, or delete the page and add some of the information of the 465 article to the MO 76 article.

Any thoughts?

Scott5114

The AARoads Wiki has a somewhat different naming policy than Wikipedia does:

Quote from: AARoads:Content policy
Standard:
Articles shall be titled in a consistent manner that accurately reflects their contents. All articles on roads that make up a numbered route system shall be titled alike, differing only in the number assigned to the subject highway.

Option:
Articles on numbered highways which are not publicly identified by their route number may instead be titled according to the name most commonly in use by the general public.

Guidance:
When alternate names for a highway exist, redirects from these names should be provided allowing users to reach the article from any plausible search term.

Support:
Consistency in article titles improves usability for our readers. It also improves maintainability, as it prevents editors from spending large amounts of time looking up article titles when making links.

In other words, the Wikipedia "use common names" policy doesn't apply to numbered routes anymore. So if the article is about MO-465 as it existed as a state highway, it should stay titled "Missouri Route 465" on AARoads Wiki, and "Ozark Mountain Highroad" should redirect to that title.

That being said, there's an argument that that Option statement, which I wrote intending to be used for unsigned or unnumbered highways, should be taken to apply to decommissioned highways as well, since they're not publicly identified by a route number in the present day. A discussion on the Interchange could be opened to clarify that if you wanted.

froggie

But on the old Wiki, a lot of opening dates for freeways and new major highways are just approximations based on the maps that editors have at their disposal, which sometimes don't catch new highway openings or jump the gun on openings... but even if it's right, the error bars can be as large as a decade. So I set out to more accurately log the opening dates for these highways, using all the newspaper archives I have at my disposal.

I don't have the time or wherewithal to contribute to Vermont's opening dates, but I can provide them to someone.  Thanks to the VTrans repository at the state archives, I have the form with the specific dates for each section save two.

rschen7754

Over 2024 I plan to do some cleanup on the California articles. Almost all of the Caltrans links are broken on enwiki but they are fixed on AARW. The San Diego articles need some updating for recent events as well.

This is setting the stage for 2025-2026 when I hope to finish up the rest of San Diego/Imperial Counties and move on to Riverside County.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.