Speedway Blvd., Tucson: 'Ugliest street in the US' (lots of old pics)

Started by Kniwt, July 08, 2020, 03:54:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Road Hog

Quote from: D-Dey65 on July 27, 2020, 03:39:43 PM
Quote from: DJStephens on July 19, 2020, 12:09:58 PM
guessing top picture is roughly 1974-75 timeframe.  Fuel prices have already risen, above fifty cents a gallon for medium and premium.   Drink and Drown, Cheap Trix - guess that is a gentlemans' club? 
Do you see the late-1970's full-sized Oldsmobile in the left-turn lane there? That makes this from the late-1970's.
Can't be any later than early 1979, judging by the gas prices. By that year, gas was over a buck because of the Iran situation.

Zonie

From the cinema marquee, it lists Fraternity Row.  That came out in 1977.

jakeroot

Quote from: DRMan on July 27, 2020, 03:22:51 PM
As a recent transplant from New England, I am impressed with the extent of the arterial system in Tucson. It isn't perfect and the traffic signals aren't consistent (permissive left turn on green here, flashing yellow arrow there) but it gets the job done. At least this time of the year, I haven't seen any significant delays, even driving across town on a Friday afternoon. We'll see if that holds true during the winter.

I'm not sure I can think of any major ways to improve the current setup. It seems to be about as perfect as it gets, as far as operations of traditional arterial streets gets.

If I had one interest, it would be whether they could install a triple left turn with permissive phasing. Never seen this in the US before.

D-Dey65

Quote from: Road Hog on July 27, 2020, 04:03:12 PM
guessing top picture is roughly 1974-75 timeframe.  Fuel prices have already risen, above fifty cents a gallon for medium and premium.   Drink and Drown, Cheap Trix - guess that is a gentlemans' club? 

Do you see the late-1970's full-sized Oldsmobile in the left-turn lane there? That makes this from the late-1970's.
Can't be any later than early 1979, judging by the gas prices. By that year, gas was over a buck because of the Iran situation.
100% true. But I'm surprised the gas prices are even that low.

DJStephens

Yep you are correct, did not fully expand image.   '77-'79 Box styling, of the first few years of the "downsized" full size GM.  So earliest pic could have been would have been Sept/Oct 1976.  Not an old movie expert, never noticed the cinema marquee.  An earlier Caprice/Impala ('73-'76) is visible on the R side of the road, L side of picture.   Did not realize ANY gas was under 50 cents a gallon after the late '73-'74 "crisis".   Maybe it was cow piss and water.   

Road Hog

Quote from: Zonie on July 28, 2020, 12:08:59 PM
From the cinema marquee, it lists Fraternity Row.  That came out in 1977.
The first movie appears to be The Chicken Chronicles, a comedy released in October 1977.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.