News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What state has the worst/most boring interstates?

Started by Roadgeekteen, December 03, 2020, 10:31:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hotdogPi

I'm going to go with Nebraska. If "worst" includes pavement quality and lane configurations trying to force you onto toll roads, Oklahoma.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

The Nature Boy

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 03, 2020, 10:31:17 AM
I'm going to go with Connecticut.

Connecticut isn't even the most boring state on the I-95 corridor. The Carolinas are a flat, pine ridden bore.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: The Nature Boy on December 03, 2020, 10:33:31 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 03, 2020, 10:31:17 AM
I'm going to go with Connecticut.

Connecticut isn't even the most boring state on the I-95 corridor. The Carolinas are a flat, pine ridden bore.
Oh I was just going off what I've been on, never been on I-95 in the Carolinas.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Henry

Even though I'm originally from there and I hate to admit this, I'm going with IL, considering the notoriously bad shape they're always in.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Max Rockatansky

Nebraska with Kansas and Iowa not all that far behind.

webny99

webny99

Of the states I've been to, I found Rhode Island's interstates to be the least interesting, but perhaps that's unfair because it's such a small state and a small sample size.

Pennsylvania has a lot of weird, distasteful interstates. I dislike almost all of them, especially the narrow toll roads, I-81 in the Scranton area, and I-83. Yet, they have some great freeways, but they're not interstates. In fact, my three favorite PA freeways are all non-interstates: US 15 north of Williamsport, US 22/322 north of Harrisburg, and PA 33 between Wind Gap and I-80.

Ohio is top-notch for the most part; love the six lane portions of I-71 and I-80/90, the I-271 powerhouse, and most of the other Cleveland freeways.
The Indiana Toll Road, meanwhile makes my eyes bleed. I do believe I could draw something better by hand.

TheHighwayMan3561

I feel like the separations between worst and second tier are razor thin. Minnesota has boring ones outside of about two short spots. ND/SD aren't scenic either. Oh, but 90 gets within binoculars distance of the Badlands and 94 looks slightly cooler in TRNP than it did 20 miles east? Kansas has the Flint Hills and Nebraska has some badlands on 80 near the WY border.

Interstates just aren't really where you go for scenery.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

webny99

kphoger

My vote goes to Nebraska.

I-35 through the Flint Hills and I-70 east of Lawrence disqualify Kansas, in my opinion.

Similarly, I-57 and I-24 south of Goreville disqualify Illinois.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

STLmapboy

Illinois. I don't care about 57 or 24, it gets dull over there FAST.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Crown Victoria

Quote from: webny99 on December 03, 2020, 11:05:41 AM
Pennsylvania has a lot of weird, distasteful interstates. I dislike almost all of them, especially the narrow toll roads, I-81 in the Scranton area, and I-83. Yet, they have some great freeways, but they're not interstates. In fact, my three favorite PA freeways are all non-interstates: US 15 north of Williamsport, US 22/322 north of Harrisburg, and PA 33 between Wind Gap and I-80.

Don't knock PA's Interstates just yet. Numbering considerations aside, I-99 offers a beautiful drive on a modern Interstate highway.  https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7304497,-78.1329799,3a,75y,25.95h,97.74t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sc41IBjs36xzYgfpO_W2daA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

And seeing this part of I-376 makes up for the rest of the road:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4376612,-80.0134154,3a,75y,72.86h,81.88t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sfEsmcldKVeJ8keb2nYjlBg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

And while a lot of the PA Turnpike is old and narrow, the stretch between New Stanton and Blue Mountain has some beautiful scenery.

And sometime in the future, US 15 north of Williamsport will be part of I-99...

thspfc

So according to my calculations there was actually a thread with a 0.002% resembelance to this thread, which is 0.003% higher than the accepted level of resembelance. It's from 2011 and has 8 posts. You're going to need to delete this, sit in the corner, and think about what you've done.

Flint1979

I'd have to say Illinois for overall.
Some of Indiana is blah like I-65 north of Lafayette or I-64 (entire length).
I drove from Louisville to St. Louis one time and took I-64 of course, the stretch from where present day I-69 crosses I-64 to Mount Vernon, Illinois is horribly boring.

Illinois takes the cake though I have more fun driving on I-75 in Georgia than I do any Interstate in Illinois.

TEG24601

North Dakota.  Boring landscape, high winds (because I-94 seems to be on the top of all the hills), few services, and straight roads.  I nearly fall asleep every time I drive the state.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

debragga

Louisiana. I haven't been on I-10 much, but I-20/I-220, I-12, and I-49 are very boring. Not to mention the road quality, which is improving recently, but is still awful.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 03, 2020, 10:51:35 AM

I strongly disagree regarding Kansas (at least I-70).  That freeway corriodor is much more interesting than conventional wisdom would have us believe.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

ilpt4u

Quote from: Flint1979 on December 03, 2020, 01:09:54 PM
I drove from Louisville to St. Louis one time and took I-64 of course, the stretch from where present day I-69 crosses I-64 to Mount Vernon, Illinois is horribly boring.

Illinois takes the cake though I have more fun driving on I-75 in Georgia than I do any Interstate in Illinois.
From Carbondale, I prefer driving IL 13->US 45->IL 1 to get to I-64 at the Wabash River over using I-57 and I-64 in IL to get to Southern Indiana. That stretch of I-57 sucks (will be better when the 6-laning project up to Mt Vernon/I-64 is completed, hopefully sometime this decade) and I-64 is pretty boring all across IL, at least until the Metro East area/near Scott AFB/Mid-America Airport

Doesn't hurt that a good portion of the IL 13->US 45->IL 1 route is (at least) 4 lane divided rural expressway that isn't the most heavily traveled route, either

I did make the trip along I-64 from St Louis to Southern Indiana during a major snow storm/blizzard at night, probably about 15 years ago. THAT made an adventurous night of driving! I don't even know if the road was officially open when I drove it - almost zero traffic and snow removal wasn't even being attempted. My plan was "stay in the middle of the flat section of snow, cause that should be the roadway"

Great Lakes Roads

Gotta go with Illinois with Nebraska and Kansas right behind.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on December 03, 2020, 03:46:58 PM
Gotta go with Illinois with Nebraska and Kansas right behind.
I've heard that parts of I-35 are pretty nice.

CoreySamson

Gotta agree with debragga here. Louisiana's interstates are pretty boring and not very scenic. Have you ever found a scenic highway in Louisiana? Didn't think so.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Flint1979

Quote from: ilpt4u on December 03, 2020, 03:22:40 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on December 03, 2020, 01:09:54 PM

From Carbondale, I prefer driving IL 13->US 45->IL 1 to get to I-64 at the Wabash River over using I-57 and I-64 in IL to get to Southern Indiana. That stretch of I-57 sucks (will be better when the 6-laning project up to Mt Vernon/I-64 is completed, hopefully sometime this decade) and I-64 is pretty boring all across IL, at least until the Metro East area/near Scott AFB/Mid-America Airport

Doesn't hurt that a good portion of the IL 13->US 45->IL 1 route is (at least) 4 lane divided rural expressway that isn't the most heavily traveled route, either

I did make the trip along I-64 from St Louis to Southern Indiana during a major snow storm/blizzard at night, probably about 15 years ago. THAT made an adventurous night of driving! I don't even know if the road was officially open when I drove it - almost zero traffic and snow removal wasn't even being attempted. My plan was "stay in the middle of the flat section of snow, cause that should be the roadway"
The parts of Illinois that I've been on that are off the Interstate aren't as bad as some areas of Illinois. I prefer the Little Egypt section now, I use to prefer Chicago but I'm tired of big cities and the whole entrance to Chicago from the south is so blah it's ridiculous and that part of Indiana that borders Chicago is ok but outside of a small area there it's boring. Then again I get this creepy feeling every time I'm in Lake County, Indiana well the north part of it anyway.

I-55 and 57 are both pretty boring in Illinois but I think I have a section of I-55 in Missouri that tops anything in Illinois as far as boredom. It's in the bootheel part around the Arkansas border I was driving it about 5-6 years ago and had to get off the highway because I was so bored of being on it. I got off on US-412 took that into Arkansas and then took US-49 down to I-40. It was a little better than being on I-55.

Rothman

Quote from: cpzilliacus on December 03, 2020, 02:02:39 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 03, 2020, 10:51:35 AM

I strongly disagree regarding Kansas (at least I-70).  That freeway corriodor is much more interesting than conventional wisdom would have us believe.
Nah.  I-70 in Kansas is one of the dullest interstates in the country.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

TheGrassGuy

If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.