What state has the worst/most boring interstates?

Started by Roadgeekteen, December 03, 2020, 10:31:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: CoreySamson on December 03, 2020, 04:30:36 PM
Gotta agree with debragga here. Louisiana's interstates are pretty boring and not very scenic. Have you ever found a scenic highway in Louisiana? Didn't think so.
I-55 on the lake?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Bickendan

Hmm, only segment in Oregon that would qualify is I-84 from US 730 out to Pendleton, and that's just a transitional blip.
(I don't even count I-5 from Eugene to Albany here, as that's become a 'short' segment for me; certainly feels shorter than the more scenic I-5 from Salmon Creek to Longview :lol:)

thspfc

Wisconsin's probably rank somehwere in the middle. I-39, I-41, and I-43 are pretty bland their entire lengths, unless we're factoring in the presence of stack interchanges, in which case the latter two would be quite interesting. But I-90 and I-94 are fairly scenic, especially between Madison and La Crosse/Black River Falls.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Bickendan on December 03, 2020, 08:12:34 PM
Hmm, only segment in Oregon that would qualify is I-84 from US 730 out to Pendleton, and that's just a transitional blip.
(I don't even count I-5 from Eugene to Albany here, as that's become a 'short' segment for me; certainly feels shorter than the more scenic I-5 from Salmon Creek to Longview :lol:)
Oregon has some really nice Interstates.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kphoger

Quote from: Rothman on December 03, 2020, 06:13:57 PM
I-70 in Kansas is one of the dullest interstates in the country.

Having driven all of Kansas' I-70 multiple times growing up (I grew up near the Colorado line and had family in KC), I agree that most of I-70 is quite boring.  However, the stretch between Topeka and KC–especially east of Lawrence–is pleasantly scenic.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

GCrites

Quote from: The Nature Boy on December 03, 2020, 10:33:31 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 03, 2020, 10:31:17 AM
I'm going to go with Connecticut.

Connecticut isn't even the most boring state on the I-95 corridor. The Carolinas are a flat, pine ridden bore.

It's soooo boring driving through all those pine trees for hundreds of miles. The only thing worse is driving through sound walls except that sound walls don't go on for hundreds of miles. The worst part is that you can tell that in a ton of cases those were planted since you can look through them and see that the stands are only a few dozen feet wide. Does anyone here remember times before the trees were mature and they scenery was more interesting? Even in the '80s the tree wall was 40-50 feet tall. Zzzzzzzzzzzz

kurumi

I-95 (at least the section south of I-26) in SC had so much Elefantenrennen (a semi going 60 mph passing a semi going 59.9, using all 2 lanes in your direction).

On the plus side, I have a bucket list of collecting photos of all interstate and US route numbers; SC and GA had enough along I-95 to make a day trip from Jax worthwhile.

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

vdeane

Quote from: GCrites80s on December 03, 2020, 10:49:41 PM
Quote from: The Nature Boy on December 03, 2020, 10:33:31 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 03, 2020, 10:31:17 AM
I'm going to go with Connecticut.

Connecticut isn't even the most boring state on the I-95 corridor. The Carolinas are a flat, pine ridden bore.

It's soooo boring driving through all those pine trees for hundreds of miles. The only thing worse is driving through sound walls except that sound walls don't go on for hundreds of miles. The worst part is that you can tell that in a ton of cases those were planted since you can look through them and see that the stands are only a few dozen feet wide. Does anyone here remember times before the trees were mature and they scenery was more interesting? Even in the '80s the tree wall was 40-50 feet tall. Zzzzzzzzzzzz
Yeah, seriously.  I remember driving I-85 in VA, bored out of my mind, only to snatch a peek through the wall to notice much more interesting farm fields beyond.  What is it with the southeast and tree walls?  Are they trying to give everyone highway hypnosis?  The only things that are even remotely interesting on I-95 in South Carolina are Florence and Lake Marion.  Even the I-26 interchange is an anticlimatic blip.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

1995hoo

I regard "worst" and "most boring" to be two totally different matters. A road can be in outstanding shape, have a high speed limit, be an easy drive, and yet still be mind-numbingly boring. vdeane mentions I-85 in Virginia, and I'd say most of that is a very good road that is very boring (all the more so for me personally because I used to drive it regularly and I just plain got tired of going the same way). Likewise, a road can be anything but boring due to things like what you can see from the road or even something like traffic volume requiring your intense concentration on driving, yet still be a horrible road due to poor design, bad maintenance, etc. I'd view I-278 as an outstanding example of a horrible road that is by no means boring.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

Quote from: kphoger on December 04, 2020, 12:56:02 PM
In fact, terrible roads are rarely boring.

They're certainly among the ones you're probably the most likely to remember years later.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

TheGrassGuy

I actually disagree with Connecticut. The western part of I-84 is quite attractive, and the I-95 bridges in New Haven and New London, as well as the part in East Haven, are rather interesting.
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

Flint1979

I thought that the interstates in Connecticut were fine I mean I'm not used to seeing the same scenery you would if you were a local or anything so certain things are fun to see the first time.

renegade

What gives with all the "worst" threads?  What about the best/most exciting?  My nomination for that would be I-70 west of Denver.  The scenery of the front range and the high country are absolutely breathtaking.

:wave:
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

thspfc

Quote from: renegade on December 04, 2020, 03:57:26 PM
What gives with all the "worst" threads?  What about the best/most exciting?  My nomination for that would be I-70 west of Denver.  The scenery of the front range and the high country are absolutely breathtaking.

:wave:
Talk about an unpopular opinion (not)  :-D :-D

For real though, I've heard people say that I-70 through the San Rafael is better but I can't imagine that's possible. I-70 from Denver to Grand Junction is on a completely different level compared to the rest of the Interstate system IMO.

kphoger

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on December 04, 2020, 03:13:26 PM
I actually disagree with Connecticut. The western part of I-84 is quite attractive, and the I-95 bridges in New Haven and New London, as well as the part in East Haven, are rather interesting.

Yeah, one nice steel truss bridge makes up for a LOT of boring highway miles!
Male pronouns, please.

Roadgeekteen

Now that I think about it, Rhode Island might be more boring.

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on December 04, 2020, 04:23:06 PM

I-84 in western Connecticut is miserable.  Done it tens of times over my lifetime and it never gets any better.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Quote from: Rothman on December 04, 2020, 04:38:19 PM

I-84 in western Connecticut is miserable.  Done it tens of times over my lifetime and it never gets any better.

Well, the I-95 bridges in question aren't on it, though, so.......

But I do have to wonder if the New London one is really all that interesting.  It doesn't look like it to me from GSV.
Male pronouns, please.

TheGrassGuy

Well, at least it's concentrated with exits.

You should travel I-80 in the West someday.
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

webny99

With six lanes all the way to the MA line, surely it's not traffic that's the issue. Is it that boring?

hotdogPi

Quote from: webny99 on December 04, 2020, 05:32:49 PM

With six lanes all the way to the MA line, surely it's not traffic that's the issue. Is it really that boring?

It is traffic that's the issue. I-84 is horribly congested during rush hour, and Connecticut also has later PM rush hour than most states due to NYC commuters.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

JayhawkCO

1. Nebraska
2. Louisiana
3. Illinois
4. Iowa
5. Kansas

Chris

webny99

Quote from: 1 on December 04, 2020, 05:34:10 PM
Quote from: webny99 on December 04, 2020, 05:32:49 PM

With six lanes all the way to the MA line, surely it's not traffic that's the issue. Is it really that boring?

It is traffic that's the issue. I-84 is horribly congested during rush hour, and Connecticut also has later PM rush hour than most states due to NYC commuters.

Oh, sorry, I misread. He's talking about western CT, I was thinking of eastern CT, which is the part that's entirely that's six laned. It looks like a very nice road from Manchester to I-90.

The Nature Boy

Parts of Connecticut at least has hills, which is both interesting and enough to move it out of the states with "most boring interstates" category. Given how flat and boring most of the Southeast section of I-95 is, it's enough to put it in the upper half of exciting states on that corridor.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.