National Boards > General Highway Talk

Asphalt vs Concrete Freeways

(1/15) > >>

tolbs17:
I have to go with option 3. But that's only if highways are busier.

This one seems okay to me but it's not my favorite. I rather have it all concrete rather than just the shoulders. Don't you think? The Winston-Salem Northern Beltway is being built that way. :D

That part of the highway opened in 2004. If they were building it right now, I'm sure it would have all been concrete (and as you can see the rumble strips are in an odd spot).

zachary_amaryllis:
i like concrete if done right, or right imho.

colorado tends to groove it across the highway, which makes a really annoying whine noise when driven at highway speed, indeed, i know what 70mph sounds like quite well.

but it seems like when they go bad,they go REALLY bad. us 287 nw of fort collins is beat to all shit by trucks, the seams are out of whack with the striping, and are probably pants-shitting for motorcycles, since they cross the road at weird angles.

tolbs17:

--- Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on April 11, 2021, 02:41:51 PM ---i like concrete if done right, or right imho.

colorado tends to groove it across the highway, which makes a really annoying whine noise when driven at highway speed, indeed, i know what 70mph sounds like quite well.

but it seems like when they go bad,they go REALLY bad. us 287 nw of fort collins is beat to all shit by trucks, the seams are out of whack with the striping, and are probably pants-shitting for motorcycles, since they cross the road at weird angles.

--- End quote ---
Look at I-85 in Henderson back in 2007.

vdeane:

--- Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on April 11, 2021, 02:41:51 PM ---colorado tends to groove it across the highway, which makes a really annoying whine noise when driven at highway speed, indeed, i know what 70mph sounds like quite well.

--- End quote ---
That noise from the transverse grooves is part of what makes driving on concrete fun.  If it also has a little bit of that ka-thunk sound, so much the better!  Longitudinal grooves are IMO more boring and tend to make the car shimmy a bit for some reason.

ilpt4u:
I like the concrete freeways ISTHA paves

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version