User Content > Road Trips

Chicago to Asheville - mid-November

(1/11) > >>

abefroman329:
Hi all -

Exactly what it says on the tin.  I'm planning to drive to Asheville, NC in mid-November.  I hope to stop in Cincinnati to visit friends from out East on the way out or back and drive straight through on the opposite leg.  Any advice on the route, or can I follow Google Maps' recommendation?

Also, I'm planning to rent a car for the trip, and I'm having a heck of a time trying to decide between renting a sedan and an SUV.  We bought a new Tucson in April (and love it), but I'm keenly aware that driving it at high speeds is much different than driving a sedan at high speeds.  On the other hand, I'd much rather be in an SUV if there's winter weather, and it looks like I-75 takes me through some notably mountainous areas south of Berea, KY [stupid question, I know, but I-75 south of Cincinnati, I-64 east of Louisville, and I-40 south of I-81 are all new mileage for me].  What do you think, sedan or SUV?

Thanks!

snowc:

--- Quote from: abefroman329 on September 15, 2021, 11:17:05 AM ---Hi all -

Exactly what it says on the tin.  I'm planning to drive to Asheville, NC in mid-November.  I hope to stop in Cincinnati to visit friends from out East on the way out or back and drive straight through on the opposite leg.  Any advice on the route, or can I follow Google Maps' recommendation?

Also, I'm planning to rent a car for the trip, and I'm having a heck of a time trying to decide between renting a sedan and an SUV.  We bought a new Tucson in April (and love it), but I'm keenly aware that driving it at high speeds is much different than driving a sedan at high speeds.  On the other hand, I'd much rather be in an SUV if there's winter weather, and it looks like I-75 takes me through some notably mountainous areas south of Berea, KY [stupid question, I know, but I-75 south of Cincinnati, I-64 east of Louisville, and I-40 south of I-81 are all new mileage for me].  What do you think, sedan or SUV?

Thanks!

--- End quote ---
Its been a while since I visited Asheville.
I would recommend I75 to I40.
One thing, DO NOT STAY AT THE DAYS INN AT TUNNEL RD!
 :colorful: :colorful: I ALMOST GOT KIDNAPPED IN 2007. :ded:

abefroman329:

--- Quote from: snowc on September 15, 2021, 11:19:57 AM ---Its been a while since I visited Asheville.
I would recommend I77 to I40.
--- End quote ---

Really?  That'd be quite a detour.

--- Quote from: snowc on September 15, 2021, 11:19:57 AM ---One thing, DO NOT STAY AT THE DAYS INN AT TUNNEL RD!
 :colorful: :colorful: I ALMOST GOT KIDNAPPED IN 2007. :ded:

--- End quote ---

Yikes!  I definitely won't stay there.  I probably won't stay at any Days Inn, I'm getting to be a bit of a hotel snob in my old age.

SkyPesos:
From Cincinnati to Asheville, I-75 to I-40 is the fastest route. If you want a drive off the interstates, but still on a 4 lane road most if the way, try the AA Highway (KY 9) to I-64, then US 23 (ADHS Corridor B) to Asheville.

abefroman329:

--- Quote from: SkyPesos on September 15, 2021, 12:02:35 PM ---From Cincinnati to Asheville, I-75 to I-40 is the fastest route. If you want a drive off the interstates, but still on a 4 lane road most if the way, try the AA Highway (KY 9) to I-64, then US 23 (ADHS Corridor B) to Asheville.

--- End quote ---

Thanks, I'll consider that route if time permits.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version