News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Out-of-state control cities in non-neighboring states

Started by KCRoadFan, December 01, 2021, 08:49:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flint1979

Quote from: Chrysler375Freeway on December 14, 2021, 01:52:48 AM
Memphis, Tennessee is a control city on Interstate 57 in Illinois, even at its north end in Chicago.
Already been mentioned.

sbeaver44

Speaking of Philadelphia, signed on US 13 N on the CBBT in Virginia

roadman65

I remember when St. Louis was signed in Nashville, TN before Clarksville began appearing.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

MATraveler128

I know that Boston being listed in Maine was already mentioned, but there are also some signs on I-95 in Salisbury, MA that list Kittery, Maine going north when you still have to go through Seacoast New Hampshire first.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

MASTERNC

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 01, 2021, 09:25:37 AM
Pennsylvania features both New York and Baltimore as a control cities on I-95, even though one needs to drive thru NJ and DE first, respectively.

That said, does it meet the merit of this thread, since both NY and MD border PA...just not along the route the control cities reference?

Same with the I-70 East ramps to I-695 outside Baltimore.  New York is a control city.

https://goo.gl/maps/tBSrPK9MyjPiiSm38

doorknob60

OR-31 in La Pine, OR is signed to Reno. First off, that is far away, 366 miles according to the mileage sign. Though definitely a good control city choice. Though OR does border NV, this route goes through ~193 miles in California between the two.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.6475992,-121.5225147,3a,49y,217.1h,85.51t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1srnntsJohN8VTMWUcixVgvQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!5m1!1e1

Similarly, OR-39 is signed for Reno in Klamath Falls. This sign is fun, because of the 4 control cities listed, 1 is in OR, 1 in NV, and 2 in CA. https://www.google.com/maps/@42.2530619,-121.7965716,3a,75y,139.81h,87.72t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJ3447PRZBRAnJX-SK5M9Kw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!5m1!1e1

Coming from Bend/La Pine, OR-31 to US-395 and OR-39 to CA-139 to US-395 are practically interchangeable, being almost the same in terms of time, distance, and highway quality/speed limits. Google Maps tends to prefer the latter, which it says is 10 miles shorter and 4 minutes faster. Which is funny because if you follow that, you'll completely ignore the first sign pointing you to Reno at OR-31 and keep driving. If doing that, I also would bypass the second Reno sign, and continue to OR-140 to bypass Klamath Falls. Google suggests that as well.

sandwalk

Interstate 80 in Ohio uses Chicago west of Toledo and New York City near Youngstown.

EDIT: It's already been mentioned, but not in the same post....so I won't delete this post I guess.  :bigass:

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

TEG24601

I might be hallucinating, but I recall a sign for I-94 in Chicago mentioning Detroit, instead of Indiana or Gary.

I'd actually love to see DOTs put the final destination of the route as a control city at various points.  Seeing "Boston, MA" on I-90 in Seattle and vis-versa would be fun.  Or "Detroit, MI" on US 12, and "Aberdeen, WA" in Detroit.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

Flint1979

Quote from: TEG24601 on January 08, 2022, 01:41:05 PM
I might be hallucinating, but I recall a sign for I-94 in Chicago mentioning Detroit, instead of Indiana or Gary.

I'd actually love to see DOTs put the final destination of the route as a control city at various points.  Seeing "Boston, MA" on I-90 in Seattle and vis-versa would be fun.  Or "Detroit, MI" on US 12, and "Aberdeen, WA" in Detroit.
I thought I had seen the same thing years ago but can't recall where exactly it was and can't find it anywhere now but I do remember seeing Detroit signed in Chicago.

MATraveler128

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 08, 2022, 03:26:32 AM
Is Boston ever used on I-95 in Maine?

Yes. Boston is used in Maine as far north as I think the Falmouth Spur. There is also a non MUTCD sign in Kittery southbound that says New Hampshire, Massachusetts. And in Salisbury, MA starting at Exit 88, they use Kittery, Maine going north. There are also a few mileage signs along I-95 north around Rowley that show Kittery.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

lepidopteran

On I-295 in DE, just after the toll plaza from the Memorial Bridges, did the interchange for US-13 once have Norfolk (VA) as a control city?

roadman65

I remember a brief period in Middletown, DE where US 301 turned left going NB to use New York as control city. It was then greened out later to DEL. MEM. BR. before the later arterial bypass ( that soon became developed with retail) was built and then permanently removed.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: lepidopteran on January 10, 2022, 12:50:25 AM
On I-295 in DE, just after the toll plaza from the Memorial Bridges, did the interchange for US-13 once have Norfolk (VA) as a control city?

While I'm not sure about that, the DE 1 interchange with the Puncheon Run Connector uses Norfolk as a control city.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.