News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What is a figure eight interchange?

Started by Tom958, December 29, 2021, 03:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom958

I was reading this document about the development of the freeway system in Indiana and came across this on page 69 (emphasis mine):

QuoteAs Interstate 465 was still the temporary terminus of Interstate 70 in February of 1972 and accident experience had been poor, the Indiana Highway Commission requested approval of the construction of a directional ramp at this interchange. An increase in travel demand in the design year had been forecast.The directional ramp was to replace the inadequate northwest loop and eliminate the serious weaving problem between the two western loops.

Here's the layout at that time. The ramp we're discussing converted the interchange into an offset cloverstack.

Quote...At the time the interchange was originally planned, two higher-type interchanges (a full directional and a figure eight), which would not have had a weaving problem, were considered and right of way had been purchased for a full directional interchange. However, the Bureau of Public Roads found that the design year volumes did not warrant the higher cost interchanges.

According to Bing, a figure eight interchange is a dogbone roundabout interchange, and according to Google, it's a DDI. Someone here at aaroads used it for these Kentucky parkway tollbooth interchanges. Obviously, none of these is what the document I'm citing refers to.

I guess what they're referring to is any four-way system interchange with loop ramps in two opposing quadrants and direct or semidirect ramps in the other two, such as this fairly common but AFAIK unnamed layout. Or this one. Or a cloverstack. If so, I'm surprised never to have heard the term before.

froggie

My first though was something similar to the I-91/US 5 interchange in West Springfield, MA, but that one definitely has weaving sections.

Road Hog

Quote from: Tom958 on December 29, 2021, 03:58:11 PM
I was reading this document about the development of the freeway system in Indiana and came across this on page 69 (emphasis mine):

QuoteAs Interstate 465 was still the temporary terminus of Interstate 70 in February of 1972 and accident experience had been poor, the Indiana Highway Commission requested approval of the construction of a directional ramp at this interchange. An increase in travel demand in the design year had been forecast.The directional ramp was to replace the inadequate northwest loop and eliminate the serious weaving problem between the two western loops.

Here's the layout at that time. The ramp we're discussing converted the interchange into an offset cloverstack.

Quote...At the time the interchange was originally planned, two higher-type interchanges (a full directional and a figure eight), which would not have had a weaving problem, were considered and right of way had been purchased for a full directional interchange. However, the Bureau of Public Roads found that the design year volumes did not warrant the higher cost interchanges.

According to Bing, a figure eight interchange is a dogbone roundabout interchange, and according to Google, it a DDI. Someone here at aaroads used it for these Kentucky parkway tollbooth intercanges. Obviously, none of these is what the document I'm citing refers to.

I guess what they're referring to is any four-way system interchange with loop ramps in two opposing quadrants and direct or semidirect ramps in the other two, such as this fairly common but AFAIK unnamed layout. Or this one. Or a cloverstack. If so, I'm surprised never to have heard the term before.
These are original layouts for the German Autobahnen in their original inception if I'm not mistaken, or at least what I have read in the past. Cloverleafs with two movements per loop.

NE2

I think they're calling what was built a figure eight. Note the two loops in the southwest and northeast quadrants and the lack of weaving.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.