Regional Boards > Pacific Southwest

Is California the only state to use cutout shields, and why?

(1/9) > >>

thsftw:
I have to admit, I wish that other states used the cutout shields like California at least on US highways. Anyone know what the reason is that California uses them on the US highways and state highways? I know Interstate are cutout in any state they're in.

kphoger:

--- Quote from: thsftw on November 29, 2022, 04:40:11 PM ---the reason

--- End quote ---

As far as I know, they simply never stopped.

Techknow:
Virginia also uses cutout US highway shields but they are not the same as ones in CA nor do they conform to any standard. You can find pictures of some in the Road Sign Uno thread (search US 52/460).

Otherwise there might be another state that uses cutout shields for their state route/highway design?

Max Rockatansky:

--- Quote from: kphoger on November 29, 2022, 05:11:00 PM ---
--- Quote from: thsftw on November 29, 2022, 04:40:11 PM ---the reason

--- End quote ---

As far as I know, they simply never stopped.

--- End quote ---

Correct, California never did stop.  The US Route shield and California State Route shield are close to the same spec as they were in 1964. 

The green spade fared well in visibility tests in snow and fog.  Said reason was even cited in a 1964 CHPW volume about what the spade changed from white.  Apparently yellow also tested very well for visibility.

kphoger:

--- Quote from: Techknow on November 29, 2022, 05:13:12 PM ---Virginia also uses cutout US highway shields but they are not the same as ones in CA nor do they conform to any standard. You can find pictures of some in the Road Sign Uno thread (search US 52/460).

--- End quote ---

Is Virginia still installing new cutout US Route markers?


--- Quote from: Techknow on November 29, 2022, 05:13:12 PM ---Otherwise there might be another state that uses cutout shields for their state route/highway design?

--- End quote ---

Maine uses cutouts for their state route shields.  Here is an example.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version