News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Francis Scott Key Bridge (I-695) complete collapse after large ship hits it

Started by rickmastfan67, March 26, 2024, 04:09:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wdcrft63

The name will almost certainly be changed. Francis Scott Key was a slave owner, and he was also a lawyer who fought to preserve slavery in court. On the other side of that, Harriet Tubman and Frederick Douglass were both born (as slaves) in Maryland.

vdeane

Quote from: cockroachking on April 22, 2024, 09:58:35 AMTo the first question, I would hope yes, but then again, (1) it is not an Interstate albeit signed as one (officially MD-695), and (2) MDTA just built the new Nice Bridge with microscopic shoulders, so I wouldn't bet on it.

To the second question, (1) traffic counts really don't justify it (3x,000 AADT is pretty low, especially in MD), and (2) see above  for MDTA's value engineering history.
Also, (3) the less the difference between the footprint of the new bridge and the footprint of the old bridge, the simpler the environmental approval process is (especially as this is an emergency replacement, so there are waivers to many requirements if they rebuild largely in kind).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Rothman

Quote from: roadman65 on April 22, 2024, 04:20:19 PMI've been hearing stories that the new bridge will not be named the Francis Scott Key Bridge due to a second verse of his poem that became our nation's anthem. Apparently the song we recite at ball games etc, has more lyrics to it that we never sing as well as even know about.

I don't know what they are as it's news to me that the anthem even had another verse. However MD lawmakers are listening to public opinion already not to rename the bridge its existing name.

Pfft.  Hymnals contain all verses of the anthem.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hotdogPi

It's the third verse of the Star-Spangled Banner that's controversial, not the second.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13,44,50
MA 22,40,107,109,117,119,126,141,159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; UK A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; FR95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New: MA 14, 123

ilpt4u

Quote from: roadman65 on April 22, 2024, 04:20:19 PMI've been hearing stories that the new bridge will not be named the Francis Scott Key Bridge due to a second verse of his poem that became our nation's anthem. Apparently the song we recite at ball games etc, has more lyrics to it that we never sing as well as even know about.

I don't know what they are as it's news to me that the anthem even had another verse. However MD lawmakers are listening to public opinion already not to rename the bridge its existing name.
The "song"/tune is older than Key's poem that is sang to the tune.

I was taught in HS music/band class that the song is an old British drinking song, of all things. I've done some quick google checks when bored...apparently during the Revolutionary War period, there were differing lyrics to the tune for the Crown Loyalists and the Rebels->Patriots

I've never done a deep dive into the history of the tune, tho. No idea how old it actually is

roadman65

It's like the song My Maryland is the tune of the Christmas Carol   O Tannenbaum. They write lyrics and apply them to old songs.

Even the Christmas song isn't original as it was originally "Lauriger Horatius" the melody of.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

ran4sh

Quote from: roadman65 on April 22, 2024, 11:04:40 PMIt's like the song My Maryland is the tune of the Christmas Carol   O Tannenbaum. They write lyrics and apply them to old songs.

And "The Red Flag" as well, which is the anthem of a political party in the UK.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

Rothman

If you want a controversial song, try "My Old Kentucky Home."
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

1995hoo

I doubt it'll surprise anyone to hear that I know the words to all four verses.

If you've never heard the whole anthem performed and you have eleven minutes, here you go.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

webny99

Quote from: ran4sh on April 22, 2024, 07:10:59 PMI can't seem to find what the controversy about that verse is though. For example, the Wikipedia article about the song doesn't mention any lyrics being controversial.

Towards the bottom of the wikipedia article there's a Protests section where it's covered in quite a bit of detail.

Quote from: wdcrft63 on April 22, 2024, 07:11:50 PMThe name will almost certainly be changed. Francis Scott Key was a slave owner, and he was also a lawyer who fought to preserve slavery in court. On the other side of that, Harriet Tubman and Frederick Douglass were both born (as slaves) in Maryland.

There is already a bridge named after Frederick Douglass, not in Maryland though.

davewiecking

Quote from: webny99 on Today at 08:57:52 AM
Quote from: ran4sh on April 22, 2024, 07:10:59 PMI can't seem to find what the controversy about that verse is though. For example, the Wikipedia article about the song doesn't mention any lyrics being controversial.

Towards the bottom of the wikipedia article there's a Protests section where it's covered in quite a bit of detail.

Quote from: wdcrft63 on April 22, 2024, 07:11:50 PMThe name will almost certainly be changed. Francis Scott Key was a slave owner, and he was also a lawyer who fought to preserve slavery in court. On the other side of that, Harriet Tubman and Frederick Douglass were both born (as slaves) in Maryland.

There is already a bridge named after Frederick Douglass, not in Maryland though.
There's one a lot closer: the bridge in DC previously known as the South Capital St. Bridge. But still not in MD. Nothing wrong with more than one structure being named after someone.

1995hoo

^^^^

The old bridge in DC was also known as the Frederick Douglass Memorial Bridge; it received that name in 1965. As you note, when it opened in 1950 it was the South Capitol Street Bridge.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Henry

Quote from: ran4sh on April 22, 2024, 11:46:44 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on April 22, 2024, 11:04:40 PMIt's like the song My Maryland is the tune of the Christmas Carol   O Tannenbaum. They write lyrics and apply them to old songs.

And "The Red Flag" as well, which is the anthem of a political party in the UK.
Then we have My Country, Tis of Thee, which is basically an Americanized version of God Save the King/Queen.

Also, Greensleeves lent its tune to the Christmas carol What Child is This?

If the new bridge won't be called the Francis Scott Key Bridge, what other name could it be? And is there a similar movement in DC to rename its own Key Bridge?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.