Francis Scott Key Bridge (I-695) complete collapse after large ship hits it

Started by rickmastfan67, March 26, 2024, 04:09:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickmastfan67

longhorn

Could have been worse, being hit at 1:30 AM saved countless lives.

ElishaGOtis

When there are Teslas, there are Toll Roads

Hunty2022

Traffic around the west side seems to be good according to the Google Maps traffic layer. It also seems like the southeast portion of I-695 is closed until December.

My prayers go out to those involved in this.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

Mapmikey

Quote from: longhorn on March 26, 2024, 11:14:49 AMCould have been worse, being hit at 1:30 AM saved countless lives.

Ship also sent a mayday, allowing police to shut the bridge before the impact, saving a few more cars from being up there

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

The Ghostbuster

jmacswimmer

The video of the collapse is horrifying...you can see the vessel's lights going on & off and smoke billowing as it approaches (in line with Gov. Moore's statement that they declared a mayday due to power loss), then drifts off course directly towards the support column, and then the entire structure was down in seconds upon impact (and you can even see the power cut out on the bridge itself as it starts to collapse).

Most recent updates I've seen indicate that 5 vehicles have been identified on the river bottom via sonar (but not reached yet by the divers), and an 8-person construction crew was on the bridge at collapse with 2 rescued earlier and the remaining 6 unaccounted for. The other major impact is that the Port of Baltimore is now cut off entirely.

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/baltimore-bridge-collapse-03-26-24-intl-hnk/index.html

And we just hit the 1st anniversary of the work-zone crash on I-695 a few days ago...March is not a good month for Maryland transportation.

VMS on I-795 on my commute in this morning:
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

oscar

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on March 26, 2024, 04:09:30 AMSadly, we have another Skyway Bridge upon us, and this looks way worse. :(

IIRC, the Skyway Bridge replacement was designed to make the cause of its collapse (as apparently the case here, an out-of-control ship colliding with a bridge support) less likely, including in particular larger islands around the supports. Were similar changes made to the Key Bridge? Would they have been possible, while keeping the navigation channel under the main span wide enough for large container ships?
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

wanderer2575

There are at least two cruise ships at sea that originated out of the Baltimore Cruise Port.  Royal Caribbean's Vision of the Seas is currently on a 12-night itinerary that is due back the morning of April 4th.  RC's blog says "our Port Logistics team is currently working on alternatives for our ongoing and upcoming sailings.  We will message our guests and travel partners directly once our plans are finalized."  Carnival also has ongoing sailings from that Port.

roadman65

I saw a bright light on the Dundalk approach to the main span as that part went down plus an explosion over where the Dundalk main pier used to stand.

Part of the structure remains on the bow of the ship
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Joe The Dragon

rickmastfan67

seicer

I was surprised that there was no better pier protection around the piers.

I am glad that I stopped for photos two years ago.

Voyager

Quote from: oscar on March 26, 2024, 11:52:56 AM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on March 26, 2024, 04:09:30 AMSadly, we have another Skyway Bridge upon us, and this looks way worse. :(

IIRC, the Skyway Bridge replacement was designed to make the cause of its collapse (as apparently the case here, an out-of-control ship colliding with a bridge support) less likely, including in particular larger islands around the supports. Were similar changes made to the Key Bridge? Would they have been possible, while keeping the navigation channel under the main span wide enough for large container ships?

No, there were no dolphins (well technically there are 2 next to each foundation, but very far away, which in the case of what happened with this ship didn't help as it swung around) or fenders around the piers, which is very interesting because of how exposed those supports were.
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

Joe The Dragon

Now if the federal government picks up the full rebuild costs will the tolls be removed?

Will the federal government stop some 3rd party from funding an rebuild with an big toll hike?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on March 26, 2024, 12:54:07 PMNow if the federal government picks up the full rebuild costs will the tolls be removed?

Will the federal government stop some 3rd party from funding an rebuild with an big toll hike?

They rarely will pay 100% of a rebuild.

And toll revenue is still used for maintenance on other parts of the jurisdiction the entity us responsible for; not just the bridge itself.

kalvado

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on March 26, 2024, 12:54:07 PMNow if the federal government picks up the full rebuild costs will the tolls be removed?

Ship insurance would be another factor. And lawyers making a lot of billable hours on the subject...

D-Dey65

Quote from: longhorn on March 26, 2024, 11:14:49 AMCould have been worse, being hit at 1:30 AM saved countless lives.
If you've seen the way that thing collapsed, it would be hard to disagree with you.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 26, 2024, 01:13:27 PM

And toll revenue is still used for maintenance on other parts of the jurisdiction the entity us responsible for; not just the bridge itself.

I see Biden did say the Feds will pay for the rebuild though. That'll be nice of them to do so.

D-Dey65

Even though it's not even a drop in the bucket for the collapse, I now want to personally take the $6 they were supposed to have charged me for crossing directly to the Maryland Transportation Authority.

Voyager

Curious if they'll try and reuse the old bridge approaches (doubtful) or just create a new Cable Stayed Bridge like the Sunshine Skyway disaster ended up doing.

nexus73

On the Oregon coast, the McCullough Bridge (101 just north of North Bend) was hit by a ship in the 80's.  The bridge did not collapse so we got lucky but the bridge was closed for several weeks so inspections and repairs could take place.  A local bumpersticker was made which said "The Ship Hit The Span!".  The real headache was that the detour was for the most part a narrow curvy two lane road with a 35 MPH limit that came into the south end of the urban area here. 
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Voyager

Quote from: nexus73 on March 26, 2024, 01:25:46 PMOn the Oregon coast, the McCullough Bridge (101 just north of North Bend) was hit by a ship in the 80's.  The bridge did not collapse so we got lucky but the bridge was closed for several weeks so inspections and repairs could take place.  A local bumpersticker was made which said "The Ship Hit The Span!".  The real headache was that the detour was for the most part a narrow curvy two lane road with a 35 MPH limit that came into the south end of the urban area here. 

The San Francisco Bay Bridge was also hit by one in 2007 but it just hit the pier support and didn't damage anything, and spilled a ton of junk into the bay. I'm curious why the Bay Bridge tower wasn't damaged at all when it doesn't have a fender either.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Container-ship-hits-Bay-Bridge-tower-fuel-3236913.php

jmacswimmer

FWIW: In this case, MDTA's jurisdiction extends from within I-695 exit 2 to just north of I-695 exit 42 (I think it's the pavement transition but can't immediately find the little white maintenance signs like exist at the exit 2 MDTA/SHA switchover). Updated to add: Found it, it's actually partway between exits 42 & 43. This includes the Curtis Creek Drawbridge, the eastbound span of which is currently also closed by default due to the outer loop closure beginning at exit 2, as well as the Bear Creek Bridge which is also fully closed by default.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.