News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

St. Louis Road Meet - March 15, 2014 at 11 AM

Started by kharvey10, October 17, 2013, 11:00:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

Quote from: NE2 on February 21, 2014, 04:59:48 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on February 21, 2014, 01:49:05 PM
making sure everyone uses the facilities before departure
Pooing is cool.

In the washroom, yes.  On the side of the road, no.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

corco

Quote from: Brandon on February 21, 2014, 06:53:58 PM
Quote from: NE2 on February 21, 2014, 04:59:48 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on February 21, 2014, 01:49:05 PM
making sure everyone uses the facilities before departure
Pooing is cool.

In the washroom, yes.  On the side of the road, no.
If that's the case I'm out

yanksfan6129

I was told that we have the room strictly until only 1 PM. So at this meet, we may have the "threat of force" to make us move our asses. Plus, paying will not be a big deal at this meet-my understanding is that it is a set amount per person, and that we can actually pay the host at any point during the day.

oscar

Quote from: yanksfan6129 on February 21, 2014, 10:34:50 PM
I was told that we have the room strictly until only 1 PM. So at this meet, we may have the "threat of force" to make us move our asses. Plus, paying will not be a big deal at this meet-my understanding is that it is a set amount per person, and that we can actually pay the host at any point during the day.

That only pushes us all into the parking lot.  Assembling the caravans (at the restaurant, and it sounds from the itinerary there will be a second round of sorting at the Days inn-Collinsville after we've all crossed the river) will take longer.

At least we will have changed over to Daylight Savings Time the preceding weekend, giving us more post-lunch daylight to work with.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

corco

Quote from: oscar on February 21, 2014, 10:43:05 PM
Quote from: yanksfan6129 on February 21, 2014, 10:34:50 PM

That only pushes us all into the parking lot.  Assembling the caravans (at the restaurant and/or elsewhere) will take longer.

At least we will have changed over to Daylight Savings Time the preceding weekend, giving us more post-lunch daylight to work with.

One good thing though is that we're pretty much all staying at the same hotel, so we'll probably form most of the carpools at that site and carpool to lunch. The few local folks will be the only ones that have to figure it out at the hotel parking lot on the way back.

Brandon

I'll be driving down that morning from Joliet, about 3-1/2 hours from Collinsville.  I can stop there and pick up anyone who wants a ride over into St Louis.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

bugo

Chloe is coming!  She won't be at the meet itself, but she will be in my motel room and everybody is going to get to meet her.

hbelkins

If I come, I'll probably be staying in Evansville or Mt. Vernon on Friday night, and driving in the rest of the way, and will also stay somewhere between STL and Louisville on the way back Saturday night.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

Quote from: hbelkins on February 22, 2014, 02:39:22 PM
If I come, I'll probably be staying in Evansville or Mt. Vernon on Friday night, and driving in the rest of the way, and will also stay somewhere between STL and Louisville on the way back Saturday night.
I'll be in Washington up a bit on I-69 that Friday. If you wanted to join me there, we can share dinner and a room, and you can check out that new freeway.

brianreynolds

Well, at this late date if there's room for one more, I'd like to participate.  I will be en route returning to Michigan from Texas at that time, and a close encounter with the St. Louis area is almost mandatory. 

It seems there's no room at the Collinsville Days Inn though.   The place is booked solid with some sort of crazy hobbyist bunch.  Guess I'll have to stay elsewhere.  Probably wouldn't get any sleep among that rowdy crowd anyway.

Alps

Quote from: brianreynolds on February 27, 2014, 12:12:37 AM
Well, at this late date if there's room for one more, I'd like to participate.  I will be en route returning to Michigan from Texas at that time, and a close encounter with the St. Louis area is almost mandatory. 

It seems there's no room at the Collinsville Days Inn though.   The place is booked solid with some sort of crazy hobbyist bunch.  Guess I'll have to stay elsewhere.  Probably wouldn't get any sleep among that rowdy crowd anyway.
If you're talking about Saturday night... there is a bed available... inquire within

brianreynolds

Quote from: Alps on February 27, 2014, 12:17:14 AM
If you're talking about Saturday night... there is a bed available... inquire within

Thanks, Steve.  I'll probably be rolling in about mid-afternoon on Friday.  There are several other hostels within a stone's throw.  I'll be nearby.

The High Plains Traveler

We struck out at the Day's Inn but got a room for the same price at the Comfort Inn in Edwardsville. off I-270. Since that's the chain I'm currently collecting points at, it didn't bother me.

For headcount purposes, the "domestic negotiation" I cited above means that I agreed to bring the wife and extend the trip after we leave St. Louis. We both have cabin fever after a cool winter (which I hope has relented by mid-March).
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

Brandon

^^

There is a Walmart on the south side of I-55/70 there.  It might make a good location for those of us who are not driving and not staying at the Days Inn to use as a park and ride lot.

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=38.677838,-90.014205&spn=0.019465,0.042272&t=h&z=15

Laura

We have an extra bed in our room Friday night. PM me for details. We'd be happy to share (and it would help our budget for this trip).

oscar

I can't vouch for its quality, but the Super 8-Collinsville (where I'm booked for two nights) is within walking distance of the Days Inn-Collinsville.  Not as convenient to party central, but it'll do.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

corco

There's a Comfort Inn right next door too, and a low-rate Hampton (<$100 for the AAA Rate) right across the street. Even the Super 8 is just across a field.

Brandon

^^ There's a bunch of hotels in that area.  I went to the Holiday Inn there about 10 years ago for work.  It's also surrounded by several restaurants, including a barbeque place called Bandana's.

jpi

I plan to stay in the Fort Campbell, KY area Friday night since the concert I am going to may not let out until 10 or 11 that night, Saturday night I plan to stay in the Crestwood, MO area since that is close to the toy show I will be at on Sunday morning.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

brianreynolds

Thank you to Steve and Laura for the offers.  I am declining only because I will be there for two nights.  Also, thanks to all who offered advice, especially Oscar.  I now have my room at the nearby Super 8 locked down for Friday and Saturday nights. 

To quote an old Hollywood classic, "Meet me in St. Louis".

Laura

Quote from: brianreynolds on February 27, 2014, 11:36:59 PM
Thank you to Steve and Laura for the offers.  I am declining only because I will be there for two nights.  Also, thanks to all who offered advice, especially Oscar.  I now have my room at the nearby Super 8 locked down for Friday and Saturday nights. 

No worries! The room is still open for anyone else.

Ahhhh the meet is two weeks away...I seriously cannot wait.

bugo

This is going to be epic.  This roadmeet will make all others pale in comparison.

bugo

Quote from: Laura on March 01, 2014, 03:29:50 PM
Quote from: brianreynolds on February 27, 2014, 11:36:59 PM

No worries! The room is still open for anyone else.

I will take you up on the offer, but I get to sleep in Mike's bed with him.  Does he enjoy spooning? 

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.