News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

St. Louis Road Meet - March 15, 2014 at 11 AM

Started by kharvey10, October 17, 2013, 11:00:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kharvey10

The big marathon is in April - the St. Patrick's Parade down on Market Street is that morning.

kharvey10

Quote from: yanksfan6129 on February 21, 2014, 10:34:50 PM
I was told that we have the room strictly until only 1 PM. So at this meet, we may have the "threat of force" to make us move our asses. Plus, paying will not be a big deal at this meet-my understanding is that it is a set amount per person, and that we can actually pay the host at any point during the day.

We are planning to leave the place at 1 PM to start viewing sites - and it can easily take 5 hours to visit all the sites - and sunset is around 7 PM.  I will be taking the money during the lunch - but I understand if you need to get to an ATM to get the money and don't want to pay the hideous fees that some of the ATM locations have.  I tried to find a place that I could get the per person costs around $10 or less - I know several people coming that have tight budgets - and had good quality food at the same time.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: kharvey10 on March 10, 2014, 12:48:16 PM
I was told that we have the room strictly until only 1 PM. So at this meet, we may have the "threat of force" to make us move our asses. Plus, paying will not be a big deal at this meet-my understanding is that it is a set amount per person, and that we can actually pay the host at any point during the day.

We are planning to leave the place at 1 PM to start viewing sites - and it can easily take 5 hours to visit all the sites - and sunset is around 7 PM.  I will be taking the money during the lunch - but I understand if you need to get to an ATM to get the money and don't want to pay the hideous fees that some of the ATM locations have.  I tried to find a place that I could get the per person costs around $10 or less - I know several people coming that have tight budgets - and had good quality food at the same time.

Instead of delaying the tour by making us all stop at an ATM for one person, everyone should just be prepared in advance and have their cash ready before they arrive at the restaurant.
-A.J. from Michigan

hbelkins

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on March 10, 2014, 02:02:35 PM
Instead of delaying the tour by making us all stop at an ATM for one person, everyone should just be prepared in advance and have their cash ready before they arrive at the restaurant.

How DARE you insert reason and logic into this discussion?  :-D

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on March 10, 2014, 02:02:35 PM
Quote from: kharvey10 on March 10, 2014, 12:48:16 PM

Whoever doesn't have cash ready doesn't get to eat.

SSOWorld

Yea It's not that hard to stop at an ATM in Springfield, IL :P
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

kharvey10

The lunch RSVP deadline has passed: the final head count is at 23 (double counted twice, and had one person withdraw).  I will post the final documents to the St. Louis Roads group once everything is confirmed with the caterer. 

jpi

Hi guys,
Slight change of plans for me, I am still going but instead of staying in Clarksville, TN Friday night I am going to stay in Paducah, KY this puts me closer to the area and since I am going solo (Steph has to work) I been thinking more and more about meeting up with you guys at the Collinsville, IL Days Inn and leaving my mini van there and car pooling with someone (Cody\ Brandon| Mike- Laura?)as opposed to driving into downtown and finding a parking place. My mini van will be packed with diecast cars for a small toy swap meet I am setting up at Sunday morning so I would not be able to drive (this will change with my Nashville area meet). I am wide open all day Saturday into the evening and I will be staying Saturday night at the Econo Lodge in the Kirkwood area of St Louis (I-44\ I-270\ MO 366) so I am pretty flexable with what ever we decide to do.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: jpi on March 11, 2014, 08:08:17 PM
I been thinking more and more about meeting up with you guys at the Collinsville, IL Days Inn and leaving my mini van there and car pooling with someone (Cody\ Brandon| Mike- Laura?)as opposed to driving into downtown and finding a parking place.

Jason - there's a very good chance that Cody, Brandon, and I will ride together from Collinsville to St. Louis. We haven't determined which of us will be driving, but I'm sure you can ride with us!
-A.J. from Michigan

jpi

AJ- That would work out great! About what time do you guys plan to leave the motel?
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: jpi on March 11, 2014, 11:07:39 PM
AJ- That would work out great! About what time do you guys plan to leave the motel?

Probably around 10:30 or 10:40. According to Google Maps, it looks like it takes maybe 15-20 minutes to get from the Collinsville Days Inn to Pappy's Steakhouse.
-A.J. from Michigan

Brandon

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on March 11, 2014, 11:34:31 PM
Quote from: jpi on March 11, 2014, 11:07:39 PM

Probably around 10:30 or 10:40. According to Google Maps, it looks like it takes maybe 15-20 minutes to get from the Collinsville Days Inn to Pappy's Steakhouse.

I would suggest 10:30 so we can fill up the vehicle and have a full tank at the start.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Laura

Long stories short, Mike's coworker went into labor prematurely and I was in a car accident yesterday (no one is injured and the car is still drivable but has no bumper or right headlight; won't be fixed in time for meet). Mike is unable to attend because he will be working extra hours to cover for her early maternity leave (mom and baby are ok last I heard); as of right now, I am able to attend with Steve, provided that nothing else crazy happens between now and then.

iPhone

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hbelkins

Quote from: Laura on March 12, 2014, 08:48:33 AM
Long stories short, Mike's coworker went into labor prematurely and I was in a car accident yesterday (no one is injured and the car is still drivable but has no bumper or right headlight; won't be fixed in time for meet). Mike is unable to attend because he will be working extra hours to cover for her early maternity leave (mom and baby are ok last I heard); as of right now, I am able to attend with Steve, provided that nothing else crazy happens between now and then.

Bummer on all accounts, but glad you're OK. But so much for Jeremy's wish to spoon with Mike.  :-D

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jpi

Agraed Laura, glad you are ok, a shame Mike is missing out on this, Steph has to also since she is now working at Amazon and has to work Friday night and Sunday night so I am solo for this trip, safe travels to you and Alpert, you guys have a LONG drive ahead but I am sure it will be fun :-)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

kharvey10

jpi

Kim, thanks for emailing the itinerary, based on what I read, I will still car pool with someone to the restaurant but since we will be coming back to the days inn\ park and ride area and based on where we will end up (Mid rivers mall area), I may drive my own vehicle from there and follow everyone, if someone would like to ride with me thats fine too since I will have room for one other person. I would still be up for aftermeet activities and with me driving this part, I will be much closer to where I will spending Saturday night.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Laura

Quote from: kharvey10 on March 12, 2014, 06:34:10 PM
That is such a bummer for Mike.

It really is. This will be the first meet I attend without him. (He has been to two meets without me.) We've both been sad about it, but he wants me to go because then we'd both be sitting at home sad this weekend :(

kharvey10

Jason, I will pack a couple of blankets so we can conceal the stuff later on.  I did a little dry run on the Illinois side of the river - there is like 2 parking spots at the Catsup Bottle and the photo ops there are very poor at best  (it is better to park in the nearby McDonalds and do the photos at a short distance, the grounds where the Catsup Bottle itself is located is private property).

It is approximately 45 minutes to get from the Chain of Rocks area to the Brussels Ferry and Hardin is 20 miles from that ferry.  Calhoun County is very hilly and there are very few services and poor cell phone reception for Doug's live tweeting - so I spent looking for a decent place to do snack stop #2 that has restroom facilities.

bugo

Crazy Volvo Guy

Quote from: kharvey10 on March 11, 2014, 01:47:49 AM
The lunch RSVP deadline has passed: the final head count is at 23 (double counted twice, and had one person withdraw).  I will post the final documents to the St. Louis Roads group once everything is confirmed with the caterer. 

Too structured, oy.  I will be at the meet, but I guess I can't attend lunch, as I did not know whether I was going to be able to make it or not until two hours ago; such is the way it works with my job.

Quote from: bugo on March 12, 2014, 09:53:51 PM
You'll be able to meet Chloe.

This makes me super happy.
I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

Laura

Quote from: Crazy Volvo Guy on March 13, 2014, 12:42:23 AM
Quote from: kharvey10 on March 11, 2014, 01:47:49 AM

Too structured, oy.  I will be at the meet, but I guess I can't attend lunch, as I did not know whether I was going to be able to make it or not until two hours ago; such is the way it works with my job.

You can have Mike's lunch spot since he withdrew after the deadline.

iPhone

Crazy Volvo Guy

Oh sweet.  Sucks he's not coming, though.
I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

NE2

Does he get Mike's bed spot spooning with bugo?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.