News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

April Fools 2019 Meet?

Started by Alps, May 22, 2018, 09:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

I'm considering doing another April Fools meet. In keeping with the place name theme, this would be at Bird-In-Hand, PA, at the Bird In Hand Family Restaurant and Smorgasbord. The meet photo would feature everyone taking a photo holding a piece of fried chicken. Bird... in... hand.
Meet ideas:
* Route 30 freeway widening around Coatesville (and recently completed WB carriageway at PA 41-772)
* PA 462 Columbia Bridge before it undergoes extensive rehab that may forever change its original appearance
* A couple of covered bridges - plenty in the area to choose from
* I think the Goat Path was done in a previous meet, but we can always pass by a part or two

Open to more suggestions! It would also be BYOB (Bring Your Own Bird) so if you don't want to hold a piece of greasy chicken, you could have a stuffed parrot, porcelain rooster... possibilities are limitless!

Dougtone

If we are seeing the Columbia Bridge, might as well go a little west to have ice cream at a giant shoe.
https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2202

jeffandnicole

Is slapping carved roasted turkey slices soaked in gravy permitted?

cl94

All you can eat? I'm in.

We could have a stop in that town just to the east of Bird-In-Hand...  :spin:
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

noelbotevera

The name "Bird in Hand" makes me laugh as a Filipino.

Anyways, I'm pretty close for this meet. I'm up for it.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Beltway

How about have it somewhere overlooking the Schuylkill Expressway?
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

hbelkins

Just don't get sick and not be able to make it to your own meet (which happened to me when I scheduled an April 1 meet last year.)

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

webny99

Quote from: hbelkins on May 23, 2018, 10:32:31 AM
Just don't get sick and not be able to make it to your own meet (which happened to me when I scheduled an April 1 meet last year.)

Actually, April Fools Day is, coincidentally, a very fitting time to no-show at your own meet :rofl:

PHLBOS

For those that have not yet looked at a 2019 calendar, April 1 falls on Monday.  Will the actual date for this meet will either be the prior Saturday (March 29) or the Saturday after (April 6)?
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Alps

Quote from: PHLBOS on May 23, 2018, 11:14:43 AM
For those that have not yet looked at a 2019 calendar, April 1 falls on Monday.  Will the actual date for this meet will either be the prior Saturday (March 29) or the Saturday after (April 6)?
Depends if I get another couple of ideas to flesh this out

jpi

Well, you all know Steph and I are from this part of PA, if our schedule permits then we are in and I can help out with scouting and other options too since I plan on making at least 3 trips to this area between now and spring 2019  :awesomeface:
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

jpi

Quote from: PHLBOS on May 23, 2018, 11:14:43 AM
That's right, now if that's the case I may be out on this, there is a BIG diecast convention planned in the Chicago area from April 3 to April 7 that I may be going to and I do plan on being in central PA at the end of April so we shall see.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Alps on May 22, 2018, 09:31:29 PM
I'm considering doing another April Fools meet. In keeping with the place name theme, this would be at Bird-In-Hand, PA, at the Bird In Hand Family Restaurant and Smorgasbord. The meet photo would feature everyone taking a photo holding a piece of fried chicken. Bird... in... hand.
Meet ideas:
* Route 30 freeway widening around Coatesville (and recently completed WB carriageway at PA 41-772)

Upon re-reading articles on the 30 bypass, nothing is going to happen for 5-6 years. Save that project for noelbotevera to host his first roadmeet, after he turns 21.

Links for the Coatsville/Downingtown Bypass rebuild:
http://www.dailylocal.com/article/DL/20170902/NEWS/170909969
http://www.us30-chesco.com/
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

US71

Meet ideas:
* PA 462 Columbia Bridge before it undergoes extensive rehab that may forever change its original appearance
* A couple of covered bridges - plenty in the area to choose from
* I think the Goat Path was done in a previous meet, but we can always pass by a part or two

Open to more suggestions! It would also be BYOB (Bring Your Own Bird) so if you don't want to hold a piece of greasy chicken, you could have a stuffed parrot, porcelain rooster... possibilities are limitless!

I have an ex GF with a stuffed pheasant ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

cl94

Can we flip the bird in the meet photo? I would be "bringing my own bird".
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Alps

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on May 23, 2018, 09:28:15 PM
Meet ideas:

Upon re-reading articles on the 30 bypass, nothing is going to happen for 5-6 years. Save that project for noelbotevera to host his first roadmeet, after he turns 21.

Links for the Coatsville/Downingtown Bypass rebuild:
http://www.dailylocal.com/article/DL/20170902/NEWS/170909969
http://www.us30-chesco.com/
Damn, for some reason I thought that was entering construction, not design. This meet seems to be fizzling.

cjk374

I love fried chicken in my hand....and in my mouth.  :bigass:

This begs the question: does fried chicken up north taste as good as it does down here in the south? May need to make a trip up there to find out for myself.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: cjk374 on May 27, 2018, 11:59:58 AM

This begs the question: does fried chicken up north taste as good as it does down here in the south? May need to make a trip up there to find out for myself.

Nope. But please come visit anyway. :D
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

signalman

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 27, 2018, 03:14:06 PM

+1  It'd be great to see you up in Yankee territory  :sombrero:

MNHighwayMan

Are there any good local fried chicken places (Twin Cities, Duluth, or MN otherwise)? I can't think of any, but I also can't say I've looked for any, either. When it comes to fried chicken I'm a lowly peasant who manages to enjoy KFC. :)

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on May 27, 2018, 06:09:56 PM
Are there any good local fried chicken places (Twin Cities, Duluth, or MN otherwise)? I can't think of any, but I also can't say I've looked for any, either. When it comes to fried chicken I'm a lowly peasant who manages to enjoy KFC. :)

Revival, with two locations in MSP is pretty good, with fairly reasonable prices too. I'm picky about fried chicken, so it's not a thing I seek out that often.

I've heard raves about the chicken at the Brass Rail in Grandy, but never been there.

dgolub

US71

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on May 27, 2018, 06:09:56 PM

Come to Arkansas. We have AQ Chicken :)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

TheArkansasRoadgeek

So, if it's April Fools and my calculations are correct... there won't actually be a meet?
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on May 30, 2018, 12:04:58 AM
So, if it's April Fools and my calculations are correct... there won't actually be a meet?

That's actually not a correct assessment. There was an AF meet in Tuxedo, New York a couple years back.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.