News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Konnichiwa: Tokyo 2020

Started by yanksfan6129, December 09, 2018, 11:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yanksfan6129

giggles excitedly

SUPER HAPPY FUN TIMES IN JAPAN! TEE HEE! more giggles!!

Konnichiwa, road enthusiasts. Have you ever wanted to drive on freeways that weave RIGHT THROUGH buildings? On AQUA LINES?! In Nippon-koku lies your chance.

I'd like to get a group of people together who might want to do some ROADS in Japan.

This thread is merely to gauge interest. Actual planning would take place at a later date assuming we can get a handful of people willing to commit. Please respond if you would consider attending a road meet in the Land of the Rising Sun.

Domo arigato for your time.

Alps

My 2020 is uncommitted as of yet. Japan should be a thing I want.

TheHighwayMan3561

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

cl94

I'm replying to keep in the loop. I may be in China for work in 2019 and/or 2020, so maybe I could time a work trip around a meet...
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

SSOWorld

Please note, plan to have plenty of $$ on hand for the tolls.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

english si

Don't forget the Olympics are in town, so you might want to avoid that period as everything will be busier than normal and stuff like flights and accommodation cost more.

Duke87

I will register my interest conceptually, but actually making the financial commitment is another story.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Duke87 on December 11, 2018, 10:16:58 PM
I will register my interest conceptually, but actually making the financial commitment is another story.

This.

It would be fitting if something like this ended up being the reason I left the country for the first time. :-D

Takumi

Someone bring me back a Toyota Cresta Tourer V. Kudasai and arigatou gozaimasu.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

formulanone

Quote from: Takumi on December 13, 2018, 06:36:23 PM

I think affordable rentals will mean Suzuki Joy Pop Turbos or Mazda Bongos, or other kei-tastic creatures.

Takumi

Quote from: formulanone on December 13, 2018, 08:12:36 PM
Quote from: Takumi on December 13, 2018, 06:36:23 PM

I think affordable rentals will mean Suzuki Joy Pop Turbos or Mazda Bongos, or other kei-tastic creatures.
True. Also the Mazda Autozam Scrum and the Honda That's.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

cl94

This needs to be the official song of the meet if it happens:
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Alps

yanksfan6129

Yes. I've decided to go to India for three weeks at the end of 2020 or beginning of 2021 instead. And this time I think I'm more settled on my travel plans, so I will not be in Japan. Feel free to go yourself though, and enjoy!

(sidebar: I decided I needed more time to save cash for a trip and also wanted a cheaper and more varied destination. my bad for not fully considering before posting this, I'm sure I meant it at the time! that said, anyone is welcome to join me in India, though I will not be renting a car for personal use except with a driver for some short trips perhaps - mostly will be using trains and planes to get between distant destinations. Seems more prudent given the quality of roads and distances. Also you can't rent a vehicle to drive yourself - you need a driver.)

Alps

Quote from: yanksfan6129 on August 30, 2019, 12:10:02 AM
Yes. I've decided to go to India for three weeks at the end of 2020 or beginning of 2021 instead. And this time I think I'm more settled on my travel plans, so I will not be in Japan. Feel free to go yourself though, and enjoy!

(sidebar: I decided I needed more time to save cash for a trip and also wanted a cheaper and more varied destination. my bad for not fully considering before posting this, I'm sure I meant it at the time! that said, anyone is welcome to join me in India, though I will not be renting a car for personal use except with a driver for some short trips perhaps - mostly will be using trains and planes to get between distant destinations. Seems more prudent given the quality of roads and distances. Also you can't rent a vehicle to drive yourself - you need a driver.)
"Cars in India when rented for a day, means the rental is for 8 hours and 80 kilometers. If time or mileage exceeds this limit a per kilometer charge is added to the daily rate."
Yeah, don't drive.

Duke87

Quote from: yanksfan6129 on August 30, 2019, 12:10:02 AM
Also you can't rent a vehicle to drive yourself - you need a driver.

Some quick googling suggests otherwise, though it sounds like the rental agencies would certainly strongly prefer you use a chauffeur. My understanding is that this is as much as anything simply cultural norm - in India the economic situation is such that if you can afford a car, you can afford a chauffeur. And the driving environment is crazy enough for people with money to not want to deal with. So people don't really drive themselves places, it's just not a thing.

One of my former bosses had an interesting story in this regard. He temporarily moved to India for a few years on a work assignment, and when he went to buy a car he had to a fun time trying to get one with airbags. The dealers would ask "why do you care? Your driver is going to be sitting in the front, not you". When he told them he intended to drive the car himself, they'd look at him like some sort of lunatic.

Alps

From what I've heard tonight, Finland is more a viable road meet going forward.

Duke87

Quote from: Alps on September 01, 2019, 12:39:25 AM
From what I've heard tonight, Finland is more a viable road meet going forward.

It's where fish go for spare parts.

mccunicano

If anyone wants to drive up to Aomori, I'm here 24/7.

Alps

Quote from: mccunicano on October 29, 2019, 09:45:23 PM
If anyone wants to drive up to Aomori, I'm here 24/7.
but who ARE you

mccunicano

I am an American ex-pat/roadgeek/teacher/writer/amateur drivelapse Youtuber who misses highways with more than three lanes in each direction.

yanksfan6129

SkyPesos

andarcondadont

I still want to go to Japan though. Food looks good.

Computer Science and GIS student at the University of Minnesota.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.