News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Memphis Road Meet\ checking out the new I-269 April 2019

Started by jpi, January 09, 2019, 12:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Here are the dates (all Saturdays) I have in mind for this meet-

April 6
1 (12.5%)
April 13
7 (87.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: February 08, 2019, 12:10:47 PM

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: hbelkins on February 06, 2019, 11:12:33 AM
Where was it located? That would be an option for me if I am able to attend this meet. The exterior corridors are a plus in my book.

Why do you like the exterior corridors?
-A.J. from Michigan

hbelkins

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on February 06, 2019, 08:41:46 PM
Where was it located? That would be an option for me if I am able to attend this meet. The exterior corridors are a plus in my book.

The convenience of having the car right outside the door, it's easier to take belongings in and out.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

oscar

Quote from: hbelkins on February 07, 2019, 02:28:08 PM

The convenience of having the car right outside the door, it's easier to take belongings in and out.

If you're lucky enough to get a room on the ground floor, or the chain will let you reserve a ground-floor room (as I've done with some Comfort Inns in Canada, at extra cost -- interior corridors, but the ground-floor rooms have back doors).
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

abefroman329

Quote from: oscar on February 07, 2019, 02:57:37 PM

If you're lucky enough to get a room on the ground floor, or the chain will let you reserve a ground-floor room (as I've done with some Comfort Inns in Canada, at extra cost -- interior corridors, but the ground-floor rooms have back doors).
And if you don't have a ground-floor room, it's likely that you'll have to use stairs to get to the upper floors.

I've also found exterior-corridor motels to be draughty and have poor insulation.

hbelkins

Some motel listings specify rooms on the ground floor in their descriptions. I always request the ground floor and that request is most usually honored. My knees don't like stairs, but I don't really need a handicapped-accessible room (plus I hate the roll-in showers that most of those rooms feature) and I hate to take a room away from someone who might really have need of it.

The situation you describe -- doors to both the inside and outside -- is a feature on the first floor of the Best Western in Frankfort, where I sometimes stay for work. I've also noticed it at what was, at the time, the Ramada I stayed in at Rutland several years ago when I attended the Bennington meet. That one was interesting in that you couldn't open the door from the outside, only the inside. So the solution was to go inside empty-handed, then open the door and bring the stuff in while keeping the door propped open.

US71

Quote from: hbelkins on February 08, 2019, 11:46:29 AM

Some motel listings specify rooms on the ground floor in their descriptions. I always request the ground floor and that request is most usually honored. My knees don't like stairs, but I don't really need a handicapped-accessible room (plus I hate the roll-in showers that most of those rooms feature) and I hate to take a room away from someone who might really have need of it.

The situation you describe -- doors to both the inside and outside -- is a feature on the first floor of the Best Western in Frankfort, where I sometimes stay for work. I've also noticed it at what was, at the time, the Ramada I stayed in at Rutland several years ago when I attended the Bennington meet. That one was interesting in that you couldn't open the door from the outside, only the inside. So the solution was to go inside empty-handed, then open the door and bring the stuff in while keeping the door propped open.

a lot of the old Holidomes had inside/outside doors. Days Inn in Henryetta, OK has them. The old Clarion Inn in Fayetteville, AR had them.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

abefroman329

This is the first I've heard of motel rooms with front and back doors.

I remember reading several years ago about a disabled guest who was denied the accessible hotel room at the hotel where she was staying because an able-bodied frequent renter already had the room and liked to stay in it because there was more space.  Ugh.

US71

Quote from: abefroman329 on February 08, 2019, 02:52:03 PM

I remember reading several years ago about a disabled guest who was denied the accessible hotel room at the hotel where she was staying because an able-bodied frequent renter already had the room and liked to stay in it because there was more space.  Ugh.

Every place I worked at, we tried to save the handicapped rooms for last, but we'd either run out of rooms or someone HAD to have a handicapped accessible room. What was really fun was someone wanting a smoking handicapped room. All our smoking rooms were upstairs, but our handicapped accessible rooms were downstairs.

abefroman329

Quote from: US71 on February 08, 2019, 03:00:30 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on February 08, 2019, 02:52:03 PM

Every place I worked at, we tried to save the handicapped rooms for last, but we'd either run out of rooms or someone HAD to have a handicapped accessible room. What was really fun was someone wanting a smoking handicapped room. All our smoking rooms were upstairs, but our handicapped accessible rooms were downstairs.
Yeah, the only times I've stayed in a handicapped room were because of a late arrival, and the one time we got one and were staying at the hotel for two nights, I made sure to move out of it for the second night so someone with an actual need could have it.

A.J. Bertin

As long as this meet is still happening on April 13, it's official... I'm going! I've got Friday, April 12 off from work as a day to do the drive down to Memphis. Not sure what route I'll take yet, but I figure I'll try to snag some new counties and/or new highway mileage. :)
-A.J. from Michigan

kevinb1994

Not sure if we'll make it to this meet at this time due to meet prioritzation. May be a little too far west for us as it is right on the Mighty Mississippi as compared to previous meets we've attended.

hbelkins

If I attend, I'll probably arrive via either the Purchase Parkway/US 51 (or maybe I-155/I-55) and depart via US 79, or vice versa (to clinch 79 in Tennessee). Likely spending one night in Clarksville and one in western Kentucky somewhere or Dyersburg; it's doubtful I'll overnight in Memphis.

jpi

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on February 11, 2019, 12:41:15 PM
As long as this meet is still happening on April 13, it's official... I'm going! I've got Friday, April 12 off from work as a day to do the drive down to Memphis. Not sure what route I'll take yet, but I figure I'll try to snag some new counties and/or new highway mileage. :)
Yes this meet is happening on April 13  ;-), just have not had a chance to post a Facebook event, it should be done by this Friday but count on Saturday April 13  :nod:
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

cjk374

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

jpi

Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

mattpedersen

I'm in. I booked a flight from BWI on Friday night (there was a non stop at like 8am, but I get off work at 10:30pm the night before, and live 90 minutes away from BWI during that time) and a return flight on Sunday afternoon.

I won't book a hotel until later, but should I rent my own car?

Brandon

I'm booked on a flight that Saturday morning that gets to Memphis at 10:10 am, and leaving via Amtrak (first time ever on Amtrak) at 10:40 pm that very evening.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

US71

Quote from: Brandon on February 23, 2019, 07:52:59 PM
I'm booked on a flight that Saturday morning that gets to Memphis at 10:10 am, and leaving via Amtrak (first time ever on Amtrak) at 10:40 pm that very evening.
When do you sleep?

abefroman329

Quote from: US71 on February 23, 2019, 09:03:37 PM
When do you sleep?
On the train.

Brandon

Quote from: US71 on February 23, 2019, 09:03:37 PM
When do you sleep?

At home, then in a compartment on the train.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

froggie

^ Got a Roomette, eh?  Definitely better for sleeping than regular coach, though I'd add that Amtrak coach gives far more room than airplane coach.

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on February 24, 2019, 07:53:45 AM
^ Got a Roomette, eh?  Definitely better for sleeping than regular coach, though I'd add that Amtrak coach gives far more room than airplane coach.

I will have just gotten finished with my trip. A Viewliner from Cincy to Chicago, then a Superliner from Chicago to SF. From what I've read, the Viewliner roomette is nicer.

abefroman329

Quote from: hbelkins on February 24, 2019, 04:44:26 PM

I will have just gotten finished with my trip. A Viewliner from Cincy to Chicago, then a Superliner from Chicago to SF. From what I've read, the Viewliner roomette is nicer.
The only real differences are that a Viewliner Roomette has a bathroom in the room and a Superliner Roomette does not, and in a Viewliner Roomette, the upper-berth passenger has their own window.

hbelkins

Quote from: abefroman329 on February 25, 2019, 01:49:15 PM

The only real differences are that a Viewliner Roomette has a bathroom in the room and a Superliner Roomette does not, and in a Viewliner Roomette, the upper-berth passenger has their own window.

Do I have them mixed up? I'll be on the single-decker from Cincy to Chicago, and the double-decker for the trip out west. They don't run the double-deckers on the Cardinal because it goes to NYC.

abefroman329

Quote from: hbelkins on February 25, 2019, 02:25:13 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on February 25, 2019, 01:49:15 PM

Do I have them mixed up? I'll be on the single-decker from Cincy to Chicago, and the double-decker for the trip out west. They don't run the double-deckers on the Cardinal because it goes to NYC.
No, you have it right; the Viewliners don't run west of Chicago at all.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.