News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Montreal meet

Started by Alps, April 06, 2019, 09:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

When?

June 8
5 (50%)
June 15
9 (90%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: June 05, 2019, 09:13:36 PM

Alps

It's happening. Gonna go while both bridges are open (one in each direction). Pick a date. H/T Carl.

cl94

I'm going regardless, but hotels appear to be MUCH cheaper the weekend of the 15th. As in half the price (or less) at some places.

Edit: looks like the Canadian Grand Prix is the weekend of the 8th. That's probably driving up prices.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

US71

I'm out. I either have my show in Kansas City OR I may do the Lincoln Highway Conference this year
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

SSOWorld

money limits my ability to go to 0%.  If I had been do the driving portion the week before May 4, I'd be there then.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

baugh17

No preference as I don't have anything booked on either weekend at the moment.  More than likely will make it at least a one overnight trip (staying in Plattsburgh) so I can photo blitz and do some route clinching in the north country (Something I was hoping to do last fall but didn't get to it).

EDIT: I'll side with the 15th given Josh's comment

SoCal Kid

Cant go, have family to meet on both dates, will be in China. But I'll choose the 15th for you guys since hotels are apparently cheaper then compared to the 8th
Are spurs of spurs of spurs of loops of spurs of loops a thing? ;)

jpi

I'm out, I may have a toy show on the 8th, also have all of my vacation time allocated for the end of April and the entire 2nd half of July.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

cu2010

Montreal is an easy day trip for me... and June is pretty open.

Also, for those traveling, hotels in Massena NY (just across the river from Cornwall, in the far reaches of the North Country) are pretty cheap, and just two hours from Montreal, so there's another option.
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

Dr Frankenstein

It's up on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/events/1448849998589656/

A second date will be held later this summer for those who can't make it on June 15. This date was picked because both the old and new Champlain spans will be accessible, which doesn't leave much wiggle room.

MikeTheActuary

I put in my vote for the 15th, although I'll wait to see an agenda/itinerary before fully committing.  I'm currently scheduled to be driving home from my June trip into the office that day.  While I can delay the start of my drive south, I do need to be back in CT that night.

Dr Frankenstein

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on April 09, 2019, 07:36:40 AM
I put in my vote for the 15th, although I'll wait to see an agenda/itinerary before fully committing.  I'm currently scheduled to be driving home from my June trip into the office that day.  While I can delay the start of my drive south, I do need to be back in CT that night.

It shouldn't run past 5 PM, 6 at the worst. Either way, we can always arrange for you to be able to bail out in the middle.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Neither.
Working local Blues Festival on Fathers Day weekend, and employer (and Co-workers) won't let me take long weekends on back-to-back weekends.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Dr Frankenstein

We'll have to move the meet.

http://www.iheartradio.ca/cjad/news/new-champlain-bridge-opening-pushed-back-report-1.9156150

Opening date is now "sometime late June". I'm thinking of holding it on the 13th of July. Thoughts?

MikeTheActuary

I'll have to take a pass -- due to other travel and wanting to catch part of the fireworks festival, my July trip up is scheduled for Tuesday the 16th - Friday the 19th.

vdeane

Not much better for me than the June date - I have family trips on either side, a conference right after, and appointments the week before.  Plus it remains to be seen how I'll be feeling in July.

Of course, it's not like I had been available for the June date, and scheduling this is tight with the shifting between the old and new bridge.  Still toying with the idea of doing a trip on my own and/or for a second meet later in the year (or next year) if that happens.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

oscar

I'm semi-interested, but still need to work out my summer travel schedule. I already have a bunch of conflicts, including in early and late July.

It would be easier for me to fit in July 20, but I might be able to make the 13th work.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

baugh17

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on May 02, 2019, 01:29:12 PM
We'll have to move the meet.

http://www.iheartradio.ca/cjad/news/new-champlain-bridge-opening-pushed-back-report-1.9156150

Opening date is now "sometime late June". I'm thinking of holding it on the 13th of July. Thoughts?

July 13 and 20 are out for me due to family happenings both weekends.

Alps

cu2010

July 13th probably works better for me than either June date, and the weather will likely be warmer by then anyways. Since I wouldn't be staying overnight, being I live just two hours away, it really doesn't matter to me.
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

cl94

I'm a definite "maybe" for July 13. May not be able to commit one way or the other until the week of, as July is a hectic time around here, but I could theoretically do it as a simple overnight (or even a long day trip) if absolutely necessary.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Duke87

While I have no specific existing commitments, 7/13 is the weekend nearest my wife's birthday, so... I am likely to be obliged to be somewhere else.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

froggie

Is Carl running the meet?

I'm not going to commit to anything right now.  But given I'm only 2.5 hours away, chances are pretty decent that I'll make whatever date(s) get(s) selected.

Bruce

Ah, if only I had seen this sooner. I'm going to be in Montreal for an unrelated thing from June 3 to 6, and could have made the first date in the poll.

Dr Frankenstein

Quote from: froggie on May 03, 2019, 10:17:26 PM
Is Carl running the meet?

I'm not going to commit to anything right now.  But given I'm only 2.5 hours away, chances are pretty decent that I'll make whatever date(s) get(s) selected.
I am.

So the 13th it is, with an option for a second run at a later date for those who can't make it.

By the way, anyone who's on a trip to Montreal this summer (or really any other time), don't hesitate to drop me a PM!

froggie

It's been announced that the inbound (i.e. northbound) direction of the new bridge will open next Monday (the 24th), with outbound/southbound opening the following Monday (7/1).  Anyone up for a quick trip in between?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.