News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

VDOT Hosts Third Annual Incident Management Open House Oct. 26 2019

Started by cpzilliacus, October 16, 2019, 08:43:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Want to learn more about traffic incident management? 

Live near Fairfax, Virginia?

This is not a meet per-se, but some of the usual suspects will be there.

Learn more on the VDOT Web site here. including a link to register.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Alps

I can't make this year's, but it was fun to come by and talk shop with some of the participants last year, as well as meet some faces both familiar and new. Recommended.

Laura

cl94

Is this going to be an annual thing on the last weekend of October from now on? Because I will certainly block out this weekend on my calendar in future years to attend. Certainly plenty I can clinch on the way.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Dougtone

hbelkins

This would be interesting. I've toured the TRIMARC center in Louisville, the KYTC Traffic Operations Center in Frankfort twice, and the state Emergency Operations Center as well. I've also had the traffic incident management certification class. I'm curious as to how much training, if any, is involved in the open house, and how much is just seeing facilities.

I can't come this year, and probably won't ever be able to, but I'd be interested in seeing and sharing information with folks here who might find it useful.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Dougtone on October 17, 2019, 06:05:52 PM
Wasn't it in November last year?

Yes.  I think VDOT moved it back in part to get slightly warmer weather. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: hbelkins on October 17, 2019, 06:20:35 PM
This would be interesting. I've toured the TRIMARC center in Louisville, the KYTC Traffic Operations Center in Frankfort twice, and the state Emergency Operations Center as well. I've also had the traffic incident management certification class. I'm curious as to how much training, if any, is involved in the open house, and how much is just seeing facilities.

I can't come this year, and probably won't ever be able to, but I'd be interested in seeing and sharing information with folks here who might find it useful.

It's an opportunity to speak to emergency responders from around the region (not just Virginia) and transportation emergency responders (VDOT calls them Safety Service Patrol (SSP) and MDOT calls them CHART).

cpzilliacus

The Northern Virginia District VDOT Public Information Officers are great. One especially has spent a lot of her time working on conveying to the public and the media information and impacts of traffic incidents.  I think you might enjoy comparing notes with them.

74/171FAN

I'd probably come if I was not planning to go to Newburyport. 
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hbelkins

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 18, 2019, 12:07:16 AM

The Northern Virginia District VDOT Public Information Officers are great. One especially has spent a lot of her time working on conveying to the public and the media information and impacts of traffic incidents.  I think you might enjoy comparing notes with them.

If only I could get work to approve it as a business trip...

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.