Plattsburgh and Clinton County, NY Roadmeet - Spring 2022

Started by cu2010, July 26, 2020, 06:48:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cu2010

So the COVID situation is improving, particularly in the North Country. Businesses are slowly reopening, gathering sizes have been increased (particularly among those with vaccinations), and we might be able to have a more "normal" meet after all.

However, the Canadian border remains closed... and with the situation over there, I don't see it reopening anytime soon. Since I'm sure Montreal would be a likely secondary destination for some folks, along with our Canadian friends who would otherwise attend a meet just south of the border, I feel it's in the best interest to postpone this meet until later in the summer, possibly August or September. What would work best for people?
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

froggie

I'd suggest waiting until there's an announcement on reopening the border before we try to zero in on a timeframe.

SSOWorld

Given proximity to Canada - I'm in agreement with the postponement.  Let them in.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Alps

If Canada isn't open, it only takes away Carl among likely attendees. Others would just have to focus on upstate NY and Vermaple instead of the Poutine Province. If you want to have the meet, have the meet, people will come.

A.J. Bertin

I tend to agree with the folks who suggest postponement.  I haven't looked at the current travel restrictions for New York State lately, but I have to assume it will still be prohibitive in May for a lot of people visiting from out of state.

It was suggested that maybe August or September might be a good time to reschedule this meet, but I would say it's too soon to tell whether that timeframe will be good.
-A.J. from Michigan

vdeane

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on March 25, 2021, 08:26:55 PM
I tend to agree with the folks who suggest postponement.  I haven't looked at the current travel restrictions for New York State lately, but I have to assume it will still be prohibitive in May for a lot of people visiting from out of state.
Last I checked, the quarantine restrictions are scheduled to end April 1, though traveler health forms will still be required.  No idea if Vermont will adjust, but fully vaccinated people are exempt from their restrictions.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

baugh17

Quote from: Alps on March 25, 2021, 08:22:02 PM
If Canada isn't open, it only takes away Carl among likely attendees. Others would just have to focus on upstate NY and Vermaple instead of the Poutine Province. If you want to have the meet, have the meet, people will come.

The south end of A-35 is only about 15 miles from Rouses Point as the crow flies.  If the border were open, I think it would be worth checking out.

baugh17

Quote from: cu2010 on March 25, 2021, 01:47:18 PM
So the COVID situation is improving, particularly in the North Country. Businesses are slowly reopening, gathering sizes have been increased (particularly among those with vaccinations), and we might be able to have a more "normal" meet after all.

However, the Canadian border remains closed... and with the situation over there, I don't see it reopening anytime soon. Since I'm sure Montreal would be a likely secondary destination for some folks, along with our Canadian friends who would otherwise attend a meet just south of the border, I feel it's in the best interest to postpone this meet until later in the summer, possibly August or September. What would work best for people?

I'm now fully vaccinated but would be fine with postponing until late summer/early fall.

vdeane

Quote from: baugh17 on March 25, 2021, 09:38:21 PM
Quote from: Alps on March 25, 2021, 08:22:02 PM

The south end of A-35 is only about 15 miles from Rouses Point as the crow flies.  If the border were open, I think it would be worth checking out.
I can just imagine that conversation.

"Where are heading to?"
"The south end of A-35."
"Why?"
"Because it's there."
(raises eyebrow) "Concentration is vital.  You must be one with the road."

OK, maybe they wouldn't start referencing Star Trek V...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cu2010

I'm more worried about being able to have gatherings at restaurants for a meet lunch, along with the ability to carpool (while the everyone-drives-and-attempts-to-follow worked okay in Utica, it might be a bit more difficult where it's much farther between stops)... plus I haven't really had the time to properly scout the area out lately. I'm hoping to do that soon.

That and I'm kinda hoping to be able to duck up to Montreal with the lady friend after...
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

baugh17

Quote from: baugh17 on March 25, 2021, 09:43:22 PM
Quote from: cu2010 on March 25, 2021, 01:47:18 PM

I'm now fully vaccinated but would be fine with postponing until late summer/early fall.

Just curious what the status is since were now coming up on mid July and there hasn't appeared to have been any discussion on the topic since the end of March.  Hopefully this meet isn't exactly dead in the water.

froggie

Given prior discussion, safe to say it's on hold since the border is still closed.

baugh17

Quote from: froggie on July 14, 2021, 08:29:34 AM
Given prior discussion, safe to say it's on hold since the border is still closed.

Wasn't sure if that was still a factor, but I guess at the rate Trudeau is holding out on opening the border, it'll be a while.

A.J. Bertin

I'm also patiently waiting for further updates regarding this meet (i.e., patiently waiting for the border to re-open, possibly increasing the likelihood that this meet will take place).  I'm still hoping I can attend this one... whenever it's scheduled.
-A.J. from Michigan

cu2010

I haven't forgotten about this... I've just been extremely busy thanks to starting a new job, along with the ever-uncertain situation with both the border and the pandemic (NY has dropped all restrictions, but with the variants spreading who knows what'll happen), plus the fact that I've been dealing with some significant health issues, I'm probably going to have to push this out to next spring.

I want as many people as possible to be able to attend, which just isn't feasible right now.

froggie

https://www.wcax.com/app/2021/07/19/canada-let-fully-vaccinated-us-citizens-starting-aug-9/

Regarding crossing the border, fully vaccinated U.S. residents can enter Canada starting 8/9.  No word yet on when Canadians can cross to the U.S.

A.J. Bertin

I'm going to assume that this meet will not be happening in 2022 (at least, not this spring).  For now, I'll cross it off the list.  Of course, if anything changes, I can add it back to the list later.
-A.J. from Michigan

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.