News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

2021 Wilmington, DE Road Meet - 7/17/21

Started by roadwaywiz95, May 12, 2021, 04:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

For those thinking of going to the game and/or who already purchased tickets in advance: Blue Rocks' Rain Policy
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Alps

Quote from: signalman on July 16, 2021, 10:24:08 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 16, 2021, 09:28:11 AM
Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on July 16, 2021, 08:27:45 AM
Assuming the game won't be rained out...
https://weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/l/b70e6bb56acc936034fd99101bdd7490bc071a749107b3ff8048e43fd8e55740

Depends on their thunderstorm protocols, which in the minor leagues are often more strict than the major leagues.  Hopefully if anything happens its a passing storm...after the roadmeet and before game time!
That's a rather small window. It would need to be very brief in order to not negatively impact either part of tomorrow's events.
:|

74/171FAN

Well the heavy rain showed up driving back to the hotel after the game.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

signalman

Quote from: 74/171FAN on July 17, 2021, 10:10:27 PM
It sure did. I waited in the parking lot for it to slow down some before leaving for my motel. I got completely drenched just walking from my car to the motel.

Mr. Matté

Quote from: signalman on July 17, 2021, 11:14:44 PM
It sure did. I waited in the parking lot for it to slow down some before leaving for my motel. I got completely drenched just walking from my car to the motel.

Driving on US 13, the Del Mem Br, and the NJ Turnpike really sucked without the raised reflective markers I otherwise rant about when placed along the fog line of arterial roads. Should have went to the brewery since that line was gone by closing time.  :coffee:

Alps

Woulda been fine if you joined us for the nightcap :|

74/171FAN

Quote from: Alps on July 18, 2021, 01:29:38 PM

I seriously doubt it.  As soon as I turned onto the ramp onto I-495 SB from US 13 BUS SB, the downpour began.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

signalman

Quote from: 74/171FAN on July 18, 2021, 05:43:46 PM
Quote from: Alps on July 18, 2021, 01:29:38 PM

I seriously doubt it.  As soon as I turned onto the ramp onto I-495 SB from US 13 BUS SB, the downpour began.
Steve was replying to me. He just chose to not delete the quote of what you said.

oscar

Here are my two group photos, both on a pier near the meet lunch restaurant. I won't caption them at this time, both because I'm drawing blanks on many of the names (so many people I met for the first time), and also in case other photos (including a drone photo) come out better and become the "official" group photos.

http://www.alaskaroads.com/Wilmington-meet-group-photo1-DSC_5702.jpg

http://www.alaskaroads.com/Wilmington-meet-group-photo2-DSC_5703.jpg
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

roadwaywiz95

Thank you so much to everyone who came out this weekend. Whether you came just for the meet, or if you stuck around for the ballgame, or if you also stuck around for the spontaneous after-party down the street, it was/is humbling to see the amount of overall interest that there was in this event from Day 1 and we ended up having one of the great turnouts in Meet history. For the past several months, I believed that the single best thing we could do as a group (after the last year and a half) was to be together again at an event/place of any kind. It's something I've felt very strongly about and it took that special circumstance (plus a little something else) to finally stir me into hosting something. The whole thing exceeded even my own expectations and I'm glad to say that I finally got in the host's seat and put something together for you folks.

It was my honor & privilege to serve as your host on Saturday and I'm just really grateful that this day was able to happen the way that it did with all of you. I look forward to seeing you all again next time, wherever/whenever that might be. The aerial meet photos (and some other things from the day) are available now on the FB event page. Cheers!
Clinched Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/roadwaywiz.gif
Clinched Interstates & Other Highways: https://travelmapping.net/shields/clinched.php?units=miles&u=roadwaywiz

@roadwaywiz on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Spreadshirt, and Discord

Also at http://www.gribblenation.org/

oscar

Quote from: roadwaywiz95 on July 19, 2021, 03:37:00 PM
The aerial meet photos (and some other things from the day) are available now on the FB event page. Cheers!

Not visible, on the part of the event page I can view as a non-FB user. Can at least the photos be posted here, too?

I liked the aerial meet photo posted for the Quad Cities meet, which was better than my own so I didn't post mine. In this case, the aerial shots might better show the people in the back rows, who can be hard to see in a photo taken at ground level. So I'm curious whether we indeed got that benefit.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

SSOWorld

The photo would either have to be public (it is) or hosted on a third party server.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Brandon

Thank you, RoadwayWIZ, for holding the meet.  It was a great meet in my opinion and I look forward to you hosting another.  :cool:
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

epzik8

A video from a YouTube user "Roadways of Delaware" from this meet is in my recommendations after I saw a previous video covering Dover to Rocks State Park in my area of Maryland.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

vdeane

Yes, it was a great meet - my only constructive criticism is that it could have been a bit more organized when getting into cars (the system where the drivers stand off to one side and people line up behind them seems to work well for large groups); it felt like in school where the teacher assigns a group project, people just glance each other, and suddenly everyone has formed groups before one even has a chance to ask (I had some thoughts before the meet, but nothing firm enough to not be affected by how things shake out).  Other than that, excellent meet!  It was wonderful to do a regular overnight roadmeet again for the first time since 2019.

I got back to NY last night tired after a long drive back.  I think Google does a particularly bad job forecasting travel times around the DC area; it took me significantly longer to move though the first half of my trip as a result (the second half through PA and NY went as predicted, aside from having to stop after my check tire pressure went on; I hope that this was just low pressure due to normal leakage from all the driving combined with the 20-30 degree temperature drop from Friday/Saturday to Sunday and not an issue that needs to be addressed).  I had a similar issue with my Florida trip three years ago, where the day that went through DC went long by a larger amount than the other days (that trip actually caused me to change how I estimate time, and I'm now normally accurate down to the minute; the other major exception actually being my drive to the meet, which I attribute to bridge construction and crashes).  I had attributed that to the heavy rain on and off that day, but clearly there is more to it than that.  I might also make a note to not drive significantly more than 8 hours on a leg of these overnight trips, as the adaptations for 9 hour drives were never fun and are less fun now that I'm no longer used to that (the time even as quoted was 9 hours; I might have to do one more just to get Cumberland done as envisioned, or maybe I'll leave I-66 for another time).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: vdeane on July 19, 2021, 08:56:34 PM
I think Google does a particularly bad job forecasting travel times around the DC area; it took me significantly longer to move though the first half of my trip as a result (the second half through PA and NY went as predicted)  I had a similar issue with my Florida trip three years ago, where the day that went through DC went long by a larger amount than the other days

That's why it is called a forecast.
I drove from Christiana Mall to the North toll booth of the Ches. Bridge & Tunnels earlier today. For my route, Google had the trip at 8 hours, while my 2015 Delormes Map program had the trip taking 10 hours. I got it done in 9 hours. I'm not sending complaints to Google over this.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

SSOWorld

As long as you don't get traffic forecasts from PennDOT ;)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

vdeane

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on July 19, 2021, 11:07:35 PM
I think Google does a particularly bad job forecasting travel times around the DC area; it took me significantly longer to move though the first half of my trip as a result (the second half through PA and NY went as predicted)  I had a similar issue with my Florida trip three years ago, where the day that went through DC went long by a larger amount than the other days

That's why it is called a forecast.
I drove from Christiana Mall to the North toll booth of the Ches. Bridge & Tunnels earlier today. For my route, Google had the trip at 8 hours, while my 2015 Delormes Map program had the trip taking 10 hours. I got it done in 9 hours. I'm not sending complaints to Google over this.
Well, I've found that using a live time taking for a trip on the same day of week/approximate time as when I plan to take it is nearly always very accurate, practically to the minute (note that I drive 5-7 over the limit, so if one drives exactly the speed limit, they'll take longer than Google says).  The only time this has not happened the vast majority of the time is along the NEC for some reason.  Is congestion in DE/MD just not as predictable than the rest of the country for some reason?  Because normally summer traffic is recurring, predictable, and already accounted for in the drive time.  This is why I use the directions in the first place (it's certainly not for routing, which I've already figured out for the most part) - to get drive time estimates.  I ended up missing the news when I got back to NY because of this (and I couldn't enjoy a MTO lunch at Sheetz and had to settle for a cold pre-prepared sandwich too, which was unfortunate, but I didn't want to wait longer when I was trying to make up time and the place was swamped), and was a few minutes late to the meet as well.  Back in my 2018 Florida drive, I didn't even get to eat dinner that day and had to cut out my planned clinch of I-295 in VA (which I STILL don't have and am unhappy about) because of that.  So yeah, it's a problem.  If I ever decide to go exactly the speed limit rather than 5-7 over, I have no idea what I'll do, as Google doesn't have an option to cap travel speed at the speed limit.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

roadwaywiz95

This was mentioned briefly above, but one of our attendees (Ian) put together this fantastic summary video of the day's drive for his YouTube channel ("Roadways of Delaware"). Feel free to check it out here:

Clinched Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/roadwaywiz.gif
Clinched Interstates & Other Highways: https://travelmapping.net/shields/clinched.php?units=miles&u=roadwaywiz

@roadwaywiz on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Spreadshirt, and Discord

Also at http://www.gribblenation.org/

PHLBOS

Yes, it was a great meet - my only constructive criticism is that it could have been a bit more organized when getting into cars (the system where the drivers stand off to one side and people line up behind them seems to work well for large groups); it felt like in school where the teacher assigns a group project, people just glance each other, and suddenly everyone has formed groups before one even has a chance to ask (I had some thoughts before the meet, but nothing firm enough to not be affected by how things shake out).  Other than that, excellent meet!  It was wonderful to do a regular overnight roadmeet again for the first time since 2019.
I echo those sentiments.  That said, I believe nearly everybody in attendance gave RoadwayWIZ some slack for the following reasons:

1.  Although he's hosted virtual/video meets (where there was only one, maybe two vehicles involved at the most) in the recent past; this was his first time hosting a conventional meet that featured a high turnout and related-number of vehicles.  IMHO, after the second or third stop; things started to flow more smoothly.

2.  Learning curve issue associated with #1 aside; the fact that many either hadn't seen each-other in about 2 years or just met for the first time certainly contributed to the transitionally-impaired factor at times.

As others have stated, the meet was well attended & received.  For those that attended the game; at least the major deluge held off until after the game ended.

Kudos to RoadwayWIZ for planning & hosting it.

Side bar: I believe there were as many as 5 females in attendance at this meet.  Is such a record?
GPS does NOT equal GOD

vdeane

True.  I probably feel more strongly about it than others given that I was the one nearly left behind due to my inability to process social situations at the same speed/accuracy/reliability as most people.  Still, I don't want my comment there to detract from what a great meet it was.  It was a great exploration of northern Delaware and it's been far too long since I last drove so far from home (~2018, I think!).

Based on discussions we had at the meet, I think this one is tied with NYC for most women, though I haven't looked back at the NYC meet thread to verify.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.