News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

2022 meet ideas

Started by A.J. Bertin, August 06, 2021, 06:03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

Quote from: froggie on November 30, 2021, 10:28:49 AM
I want to say we had a meet somewhere between Dahlgren and Fredericksburg a decade or two ago...

That does not preclude one from occurring there again.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

SSOWorld

I want to say we had a meet somewhere between Dahlgren and Fredericksburg a decade or two ago...
So? A decade or two is a long time.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

froggie

Quote from: Brandon on November 30, 2021, 02:23:57 PM

Never said there couldn't be one again.  I brought it up because, if a record of it can be found, perhaps a potential host could tap into that to find places of interest.

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on December 01, 2021, 09:58:50 AM
Quote from: Brandon on November 30, 2021, 02:23:57 PM

Never said there couldn't be one again.  I brought it up because, if a record of it can be found, perhaps a potential host could tap into that to find places of interest.

I did two meets in Pikeville, Ky., only eight years apart. Used the same restaurant for both (which, sadly, is no longer open). Focused on two completely different corridors.

Having said that, I have no memory of a US 301 Northern Neck-area meet.

Wonder if the Wayback Machine has any record of the old Pete Jenior/Gribblenation meet page that once existed? It had mostly group photos, but seems like some of the entries had some itineraries or highlights included.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

74/171FAN

In regard to southern MD, we could take a half hour detour to Cobbs Island to see the new MD 254 Bridge at Neale Sound.

Fredericksburg also has I-95 construction finishing off and the new VA 3 Business Rappahannock River Bridge.  That combined is probably more than enough right there.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

vdeane

So in Amsterdam, there's going to be some construction next year on NY 5 to make the current WB road two-way and allow for the removal of the current EB road.  Would people be interested in a Schenectady-Amsterdam meet?  I was toying with the idea of hosting something in the summer depending on calendar availability.  Tentative ideas include lunch at Jumping Jacks in Scotia, swing by a couple things in Schenectady that I had considered for the Capital District meet in 2016, a stop at Rotterdam Kiwanis Park for an old arch bridge on the Mohawk-Hudson Hike-Bike Trail, lock 9 at the NY 103 bridge (including a clinch of NY 103), the NY 5 construction, the Mohawk Gateway Overlook ped bridge in Amsterdam, drive down the NY 30 "freeway", and stop at Karen's Produce & Ice Cream for ice cream and to walk down to the truss bridges carrying NY 5S and the Erie Canal Trail over Schoharie Creek (one of which is an old rail bridge and both of which have history from the Thruway bridge washout).

https://www.recordernews.com/news/local-news/194249
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: vdeane on December 22, 2021, 12:37:24 PM
Would people be interested in a Schenectady-Amsterdam meet?

I would be very interested, but with all the other tentative meets already lined up for 2022 that I'm interested in attending, it's not realistic that I'd be able to attend this meet if it happens.  I'm only one person though.  :)
-A.J. from Michigan

Dougtone

So in Amsterdam, there's going to be some construction next year on NY 5 to make the current WB road two-way and allow for the removal of the current EB road.  Would people be interested in a Schenectady-Amsterdam meet?  I was toying with the idea of hosting something in the summer depending on calendar availability.  Tentative ideas include lunch at Jumping Jacks in Scotia, swing by a couple things in Schenectady that I had considered for the Capital District meet in 2016, a stop at Rotterdam Kiwanis Park for an old arch bridge on the Mohawk-Hudson Hike-Bike Trail, lock 9 at the NY 103 bridge (including a clinch of NY 103), the NY 5 construction, the Mohawk Gateway Overlook ped bridge in Amsterdam, drive down the NY 30 "freeway", and stop at Karen's Produce & Ice Cream for ice cream and to walk down to the truss bridges carrying NY 5S and the Erie Canal Trail over Schoharie Creek (one of which is an old rail bridge and both of which have history from the Thruway bridge washout).

If you're going to check out the truss bridges carrying NY 5S and the Erie Canalway Trail, I'll also suggest a stop at the Schoharie Aqueduct, since it's literally around the corner. Plus you have the peculiar old NY State Highway cast iron signs across the river in Tribes Hill. https://goo.gl/maps/cWwv6rZVWofNDrDp9

Rothman

Careful with Jumping Jack's.  I heard they've hit hard times since COVID.  Make sure they'll be open.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

baugh17

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on December 22, 2021, 06:09:53 PM
Would people be interested in a Schenectady-Amsterdam meet?

I would be very interested, but with all the other tentative meets already lined up for 2022 that I'm interested in attending, it's not realistic that I'd be able to attend this meet if it happens.  I'm only one person though.  :)

It's less than an hour away for me so I'll second the interest, even if it's a mini meet.

SSOWorld

I am planning my Hawaii trip for April (first two weeks).  Therefore, long distance road meets scheduled for March, April and May will be out of the question for me as follows.

Natchez MS - March 19 - Not attending
Durham (NC) East End Connector - March? - Not attending
West Irondequoit NY - April 2? Not attending
Central Pennsylvania (York/Lancaster/Harrisburg) - April 23 - Not attending
Outer Banks NC "city meet" (choose your own sightseeing) - April 30 - Not attending
Plattsburgh/Clinton County NY - spring? - Not attending
Cedar Rapids/Iowa City IA - May 21 - attending and organizing
Cumberland MD - May 21 or 28? -Not attending

Cedar Rapids is a must attend for me as I'm organizing.   There is a chance I might attend Philly and/or San Antonio, but because of time-off and funding, I cannot guarantee either.  My apologies to those hosting, but I have prioritized the Hawaii trip as I have to take it this year due to the credit for the first attempt (in 2020) expires after 2022.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

signalman

Quote from: SSOWorld on December 27, 2021, 08:27:52 PM
I am planning my Hawaii trip for April (first two weeks).  Therefore, long distance road meets scheduled for March, April and May will be out of the question for me as follows.

Natchez MS - March 19 - Not attending
Durham (NC) East End Connector - March? - Not attending
West Irondequoit NY - April 2? Not attending
Central Pennsylvania (York/Lancaster/Harrisburg) - April 23 - Not attending
Outer Banks NC "city meet" (choose your own sightseeing) - April 30 - Not attending
Plattsburgh/Clinton County NY - spring? - Not attending
Cedar Rapids/Iowa City IA - May 21 - attending and organizing
Cumberland MD - May 21 or 28? -Not attending

Cedar Rapids is a must attend for me as I'm organizing.   There is a chance I might attend Philly and/or San Antonio, but because of time-off and funding, I cannot guarantee either.  My apologies to those hosting, but I have prioritized the Hawaii trip as I have to take it this year due to the credit for the first attempt (in 2020) expires after 2022.
Understood and appreciate your honesty and transparency. Still 😡

74/171FAN

Yeah, the East End Connector meet is not happening in March, but we all already knew that.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: 74/171FAN on December 28, 2021, 06:34:54 AM
Yeah, the East End Connector meet is not happening in March, but we all already knew that.

I was thinking about that.  Do you have a more realistic idea of when you might host that?  I saw something in your separate thread about that meet that indicated it might be June or July at the earliest.  Would it make sense if I were to simply say "summer or fall"?
-A.J. from Michigan

74/171FAN

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on December 28, 2021, 07:11:20 AM

I was thinking about that.  Do you have a more realistic idea of when you might host that?  I saw something in your separate thread about that meet that indicated it might be June or July at the earliest.  Would it make sense if I were to simply say "summer or fall"?

Yeah, that would be best for now.

Alps

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on December 28, 2021, 07:11:20 AM

Nothing about this project makes sense when it comes to naming a date.

Takumi

Quote from: yanksfan6129 on November 02, 2021, 03:42:14 PM
Anyone interested in a South Africa meet in February?
If you'd said October I'd actually try and work that out.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Laura

Set the date for now to have Cumberland/Western MD as Memorial Day Weekend. I'd like to do it as a 2 day meet but if I can't that's okay. I have so many ideas - I just need to nail them down, make an itinerary, create a meet thread. I am willing to move it to another date if this weekend doesn't work for most people.

I'm also looking at hosting a Lynchburg, VA meet this year. Going to do some scouting President's Day Weekend. The city is removing College Lake Dam, rerouting US 221 onto a new bridge, and redoing the intersection with the university (my alma mater!) as a 5 point roundabout. This is super exciting to me for so many reasons! There's a lot of other cool stuff to see there, too.

Edit to add: I love your idea of a Southern MD meet, Mark!

74/171FAN

I like the Lynchburg meet idea better Laura.  I have needed to get down there to finish the business routes and reexplore Bedford as well.  It just never really works out as I do not go that way very often anymore.

Dougtone

Waterbury/Meriden, CT meet - April 2
It's on .

cl94

If you're still considering this, the impending 890 reconstruction project might make it interesting. I'm looking through the contract docs now and some of the detours will make things interesting, especially if we want to stop at the Plotter Kill Aqueduct.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

vdeane

Quote from: cl94 on January 12, 2022, 01:42:37 PM

If you're still considering this, the impending 890 reconstruction project might make it interesting. I'm looking through the contract docs now and some of the detours will make things interesting, especially if we want to stop at the Plotter Kill Aqueduct.
I am still considering it.  Likely June or early August if I do it judging by the meet calendar and how my summer calendar usually falls out.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Laura

Update: I'm looking at doing Lynchburg on June 11 and Cumberland on Columbus Day weekend.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Laura on February 17, 2022, 01:20:06 PM
Update: I'm looking at doing Lynchburg on June 11 and Cumberland on Columbus Day weekend.

Cool!  I've updated the list accordingly.  I've been wanting to attend the Cumberland meet but knew I likely wouldn't be able to attend if it was happening Memorial Day weekend.  Columbus Day weekend makes it more possible for me to attend, but I also want to see the date in October when Nikolai is hosting his Janesville/Beloit WI meet.  I may be forced to choose between those two.  We'll see.
-A.J. from Michigan

74/171FAN

Quote from: Laura on February 17, 2022, 01:20:06 PM

Yay!!  I really need to get over to Bedford to finish the business routes there (and of course VA 122).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.