2011 Northern New Jersey Road Meet

Started by Roadgeek Adam, October 06, 2010, 09:05:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

Quotewith your full name

I have to ask...is this part really necessary?

Roadgeek Adam

Not really, but it just makes it easier to fit in my spreadsheet, that's all.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Mts83

Alps

Quote from: Roadgeek_Adam on March 02, 2011, 11:13:21 PM
Quote from: Mts83 on March 02, 2011, 10:50:10 PM
Hey everybody, new to the board here, though I do know a few of you through Flickr. I think I may try to make this meet, sounds like a lot of fun. I learned about the meets through Doug, after seeing Ian post some pics a few weeks ago from the last one.

Michael

No issue, do request you send me a message via my email, posted above. I'm happy to let you know any extra details. Right now we have 15 official for the meet and 8 of us are going to game after (1 may go to only the game with us due to obligations) with your full name ;)
I have 8 tickets. That's all we're gettin'.

hbelkins

Quote from: Roadgeek_Adam on February 26, 2011, 12:24:52 PM

Nothing has changed in the itinerary, I will do my best to be at Six Brothers at 11:30. Also, if people have yet to confirm keep your name is Maybe Attending on here. However, if in all likelihood you will be here for sure, I'd preference if you set your status to Attending by March 9.

If you don't mind, send me a private message by whatever means you desire (here, Facebook e-mail, it matters not) with the tour itinerary and route. That will help me determine if I want to hitch a ride during the tour (and end up back at the diner) or drive solo and then depart southward at the last stop.

Or if you want to post the route somewhere for all to see, that'd be fine as well.

I'm hoping to make the Chester, PA area by nightfall on Saturday.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

* Note that the map lies slightly - Parkway is not a toll road for the stretch shown.
* Whichever car I'm in gets plenty of color commentary.
* Anyone who's in town Friday, let me know where you're at. If it's relatively few people, maybe I'll host a small social gathering.

Dr Frankenstein

I'm still debating WHEN I'll go down... Friday over the afternoon or Saturday morning. If enough people confirm for Friday, I might make it that day.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on March 05, 2011, 01:16:07 PM
I'm still debating WHEN I'll go down... Friday over the afternoon or Saturday morning. If enough people confirm for Friday, I might make it that day.

Considering the distance, Friday might be preferable. I've gone from my house to Lake George, which for us can be 5-7 hours depending on stops, since you have to come from Quebec, I would suggest for that amount of driving, Friday would be easier.
Adam Seth Moss

hbelkins

Quote from: Roadgeek_Adam on March 04, 2011, 07:44:13 PM
Here's a map of the route.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=475+US+Highway+46,+Little+Falls,+NJ+07424+(Six+Brothers+Diner)&daddr=40.833608,-74.248097+to:Eisenhower+Pkwy+to:Jackson+Ave+to:Glenside+Ave+to:Unknown+road+to:Essex+St+to:Orange+St+to:US-46+W&hl=en&geocode=FV-rbwIdOtyT-yGBjTR2PLW50w%3BFUgSbwIdXxCT-ymDahF7dgDDiTGht7htmrhGjw%3BFVIFbwIdFASS-w%3BFTTPbQIdZPaQ-w%3BFcfcbAIdHgqR-w%3BFUxEbQIdFN-T-w%3BFYSsbQIdcFqU-w%3BFY3MbQIdNwyU-w%3BFZqtbwIddtyT-w&mra=mi&mrsp=8&sz=12&via=1&sll=40.860304,-74.123383&sspn=0.117365,0.439453&ie=UTF8&ll=40.750378,-74.148102&spn=0.470238,1.757813&z=10

Looks like I'll be doing the whole thing, although I will have to be a passenger with someone else on the tour.

Quote from: AlpsROADS on March 05, 2011, 03:26:51 AM
* Anyone who's in town Friday, let me know where you're at. If it's relatively few people, maybe I'll host a small social gathering.

I may be, but not sure yet. Depends on how early a start I get on Friday, whether I opt to do Corridor H on the way up or on the way back, and how far I get. I plan to make at least Stroudsburg on Friday but may get all the way to the NNJ area.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on March 05, 2011, 01:16:07 PM
If you come down Friday, I'll make sure there's a gathering.

Dr Frankenstein

If I go, I'll make it on Friday. That way I'll avoid having to wake up extra-early on Saturday morning, and I'll be able to spread my driving on two days. I... I might have something on Sunday.

Dougtone

Quote from: AlpsROADS on March 04, 2011, 07:33:09 PM
Quote from: Roadgeek_Adam on March 02, 2011, 11:13:21 PM
Quote from: Mts83 on March 02, 2011, 10:50:10 PM
Hey everybody, new to the board here, though I do know a few of you through Flickr. I think I may try to make this meet, sounds like a lot of fun. I learned about the meets through Doug, after seeing Ian post some pics a few weeks ago from the last one.

Michael

No issue, do request you send me a message via my email, posted above. I'm happy to let you know any extra details. Right now we have 15 official for the meet and 8 of us are going to game after (1 may go to only the game with us due to obligations) with your full name ;)
I have 8 tickets. That's all we're gettin'.

I would guess that some tickets would be available for the game through the Devils, but no more tickets through Steve.

Roadgeek Adam

Well tomorrow is the day finally :). We have 23 people signed up for tomorrow from 6 different states and 1 Canadian Province. However, I am sure there is concern about Little Falls and flooding because of the storms. Fair warning: Little Falls is a large township, it goes all the way out east to Montclair State University. We're on the side of Garrett Mountain and a couple miles east of downtown Little Falls. We should be in high enough elevation that flooding should be minimal.

However, there are roads that are out of service for a period of time:

- NJ 23: Do not go through Pequannock, there is no sight of the road. It is not advisable that you go through 23 in Wayne, Pompton Lakes, Pompton Plains. NJ 23 dumps right into Little Falls (downtown). 23 is usable from Verona to Cedar Grove and from High Point to Butler, but I don't suggest progressing further than Butler (at I-287) or Cedar Grove (at Ridge Road)

- CR 511 Alternate: Pequannock is under water.

- U.S. Route 46 and Interstate 80, according to traffic cameras are clear.

I hope to see everyone tomorrow! If you need my cell #, PM or Email me.
Adam Seth Moss

Alps

More detailed directions:

From the west on I-80: Take Exit 53 to US 46 (signed to NJ 3). I doubt that will be flooded. If I-80 itself is closed (doubtful), take Exit 43 to I-287 south, then take Exit 39 to NJ 10 East. Make a left at Eisenhower Parkway in the traffic circle in Livingston, then take I-280 east to Exit 8B (577 North). Go a couple miles, down the hill, then make a right at 506/Bloomfield Avenue. Go over the hill and make your SECOND left onto Upper Mountain Ave. (If you make the first left by accident, just keep going till it ends, bear right, then make a left onto Upper Mountain.) Go all the way past Normal Ave. and bear right on Clove Rd. (a narrow fork in the road). Diner is on the right at 46.

From the west on I-78: Take I-287 north to I-80 as above. If I-80 is closed, stay on 78 to the Garden State Parkway and head north as below.

From the south on the Parkway: Take Exit 153 to Route 3 West. After it merges with 46, take the next exit to Notch Rd. Make a left and a left to U-turn, diner is on the right.

From the south on the Turnpike: Exit 11 to the Parkway north, as above.

From the north on the Parkway: Take Exit 154 to Route 46 West. After the 3 merge, see "from the south on the Parkway".

From the north on I-87/NY Thruway: Take Exit 15 to NJ 17 south (keep left at I-287). Bear right onto the Garden State Parkway southbound and see above.

From the east on George Washington Bridge/I-95: Take I-80 west to Exit 57 to Route 19 south. Follow signs to 46 West (do not get on the Parkway). See "from the north on the Parkway."

From the east on Tappan Zee Bridge/I-287/87: Take Exit 14A to Garden State Parkway and see "From the north on the Parkway."

From the east on Lincoln Tunnel: Follow NJ 3 and see "from the south on the Parkway."

From the east on Holland Tunnel: Really? Holland Tunnel? Why?

Alps

Recap: This photo sums it up. We had an urban good time.

http://www.alpsroads.net/roads/newark.jpg
(Cut and paste URL to see)

Roadgeek Adam

Let's just say yesterday's meet was interesting.

Here's my group photo:

Taken from the Nikesite Road bridge over Interstate 78 in New Providence, NJ:

From left (Row 1): Kneeling: Adam Moss (NJ), Carl Tessier (QC), Lou Corsaro (NJ/NC), Standing: Travis Fuguet (PA)

From left (Row 2): Mike Pruett (MD), Mark Sinsabaugh (NY), Mike Tantillo (VA), Laura Bianca (MD), Anthony Costanzo (CT), Phil Fenster (NJ), Dylan Lainhart (NY), Scott Davis (NJ), Robert Sargent (NJ), Leigh Koven (PA), Doug Kerr (NY), H.B. Elkins (KY), Neil Stannard (NH).

From left (Row 3): Daniel Case (NY), Steve Alpert (NJ), Michael Temme-Soifer (NJ), Keith Thomas (NJ)

Not pictured: Daniel Case's son (NY) and Charles O'Reilly (NJ), who couldn't make the meet but made the game after.
Adam Seth Moss

Duke87

Pssst... my last name is "Costanzo". One n. ;-)

I also uploaded a couple videos to the Facebook group:
The fording of the mighty creek
The chant
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: Duke87 on March 13, 2011, 02:30:22 PM
Pssst... my last name is "Costanzo". One n. ;-)

I also uploaded a couple videos to the Facebook group:
The fording of the mighty creek
The chant

They aren't working due to privacy issues?
Adam Seth Moss

Duke87

Hmm.... they work fine for me. Maybe Facebook doesn't like direct linking to these things from offsite. Do they work if you view them from the wall of the event?

Roadgeek Adam

If I could find them on the wall.
Adam Seth Moss

Dr Frankenstein

I can't find them on the event page, and I assume these links don't work because I'm not friends with you.

Duke87

Hmmm... how about now?

If not, try my personal wall.

EDIT: Okay, it's still not working, and I can't figure out why not. So, screw it, to YouTube!

cu2010

Adam told me about the "Button Copy" chant...and I must say, that's freaking awesome. I wonder how many people in that crowd actually got it...

(then again, half of the chants at Clarkson hockey games make no sense, so there!)
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

Alps

"I'm just trying to see if there's thorns here. There are."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.