News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Wausau, Wisconsin meet - October 1 - Results

Started by SSOWorld, March 27, 2011, 09:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Master son on July 10, 2011, 11:59:37 PM
I'm targeting late September early October, but that's a couple months out.  This way we can take a view of the fall colors along with the roads.

Sounds good! At this point I think that timeframe should work well. :-)
-A.J. from Michigan

SSOWorld

I would like to get feedback on either September 24 or October 1.  The earlier would put more padding between this and the KZoo meet (should it be placed on 10/15) and the latter guarantees more fall colors (though likely less construction pr0n) Which date would be the best to reschedule for?  I will finalize on feedback likely within two weeks of this post.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

hbelkins

For me, I think the October 1 date works best. Sept. 24 is one week following the Watertown, NY meet that Doug Kerr has planned. I've been planning on going to that one, and I've about given up on doing two long trips on two consecutive weekends since I did Michigan and New York back-to-back a few years ago.

But you shouldn't schedule your Wisconsin meet based on the schedule of someone in Kentucky. Plan it to the best advantage of closer attendees and if I can make it, I will.

(I still have my notes for my previously planned trip and my county-collecting efforts, although the shorter days that far north and that much later in the year may require some alteration on my part.)

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Master son on July 24, 2011, 07:01:12 PM
I would like to get feedback on either September 24 or October 1.  The earlier would put more padding between this and the KZoo meet (should it be placed on 10/15) and the latter guarantees more fall colors (though likely less construction pr0n) Which date would be the best to reschedule for?  I will finalize on feedback likely within two weeks of this post.

At this point, I'd be game for either of those dates.
-A.J. from Michigan

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

hbelkins

Will put it on the calendar but way too early to commit.

Brandon

Quote from: Master son on July 30, 2011, 06:27:16 PM
Meet has been scheduled for October 1.

I'll put it on the calendar.  Wausau's not all that far away.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

getemngo

I think I said this on the Facebook event, but is anyone interested in making a detour to Timms Hill, the highest point in Wisconsin?  Looks like it's a tad over an hour's drive to the northwest.
~ Sam from Michigan

Alps

Quote from: getemngo on August 31, 2011, 02:22:10 PM
I think I said this on the Facebook event, but is anyone interested in making a detour to Timms Hill, the highest point in Wisconsin?  Looks like it's a tad over an hour's drive to the northwest.
No, you didn't, but unless there are roadworthy things (like old bridges) on the way, I won't be particularly interested. That said, I'll be in Wausau all day Saturday anyway, so I'll go along with whatever.

Alps

I just checked peak colors - looks like the U.P. will be peaking right as I drive back through it! Should be some nice opportunities for leaf peepers to make a loop north from Wausau, whether it's the morning of the meet or the day after. Let's get some more RSVPs in - someone has to come farther than me!

SSOWorld

We're two weeks away from the meet! If you haven't already, please RSVP as soon as possible. RSVP deadline is next week Saturday.  My email is on the original post - or for those on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=169702569768172 is the event page.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

hbelkins

I don't have enough vacation days, so I am not going to be able to make it.

Alps

Brief meet recap: We all met at the designated place and time, went inside, and sampled an appetizer of Wisconsin's staple deep-fried cheese curds. After stuffing our faces, we headed west to check out where the new WIS 29 freeway cuts off the old 2-lane road (Stewart Ave.), and then came back in on WIS 29 to Stewart Ave. to check out some vantage points of the brand-new 29/39 interchange. We then went south to the old McCleary Bridge, now just a residential dead-end (but still signed as CTH N on at least one street blade!), then over the new bridge, and continued south to see an error sign (upside-down Signal Ahead). We backtracked to CTH NN to I-39/US 51 SB and headed west on the newly completed US 10 freeway. It's so new that signing hasn't caught up yet - there are CTH P shields patched over US 10 shields at the WIS 34 exit, WIS 34 shields patched beyond that point because the new diamond interchange at future 34 hasn't opened yet, and later on, WIS 13 shields patched because the bypass hasn't been completed that far. Heading west on 10 gave us numerous opportunities to spy on the new expressway (the freeway will end at 34) on out to Marshfield, where we turned up WIS 13. Running short on time, we came back on WIS 97 to WIS 29, but not before a 15-minute detour up to the monument marking the crossing of the 45th latitude and 90th longitude. (The actual spot is in someone's farm.) Scott did a great job hosting and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Now, off to dinner followed by a pool party! All part of the meet festivities.

hbelkins

If the weather is as chilly up there as it is here in Kentucky, hope it's an indoor pool party!

JREwing78

There was frost predicted for tonight; it's definitely fall in Wisconsin.

Glad you all had fun; I couldn't make it this time, but I'll keep an eye out for the next one.

Janko Dialnice

I am glad to hear that you all had a great time. I just have to remember to pack swimming trunks for future meet trips. Most other post-meet activities had involved dinner, ice cream or a sporting event, not swimming.

mgk920

SSOWorld

HAHAHA good one Mike!  :biggrin: :happy:

Thank you to all who attended (listed below) and it was a great time indeed. 
Here's the group photo.

WausauRM_GroupPhoto by ssoworld, on Flickr

From the left: David Feryance, Steve Alpert (Steve), Brandon Gorte (Brandon), A. J. Bertin (A. J. Bertin), Scott Onson (Master son - kneeling with poster) Michael G. Koerner (mgk920), Sam Scholtens, Chris Lokken (CatOfDar - who had too much meow mix).

The poster describes the project that rebuilt the freeway that carries I-39 (south of Wausau), US 51 and WIS 29.  The background is the two WIS 29 to North US 51 flyover ramps.  The EB 29 to NB 51 is the highest of the ramps in the 3-level interchange complex that also involves WIS (Not US) 52 and Sherman Street.

more photos that I took are in my Flickr set for the road meet.  These will give visual description of the summary that Steve added.  Wisconsin is a state of Sign goofs for sure.  Just check out the US 10 BGS CTH P shields.

I also have a small video set which I have to splice and edit, once that's done - I will be posting it to YouTube.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.