Richmond, VA Meet: October 13

Started by Takumi, June 15, 2012, 10:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

If interested in attending a Richmond meet, when is the best time for you?

October 6
1 (11.1%)
October 13
4 (44.4%)
October 20
1 (11.1%)
October 27
1 (11.1%)
November or later
2 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 9

hbelkins

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on October 15, 2012, 12:19:21 AM
I'm going to post the rest of the meet photos on Flickr so those here who can't see them on Facebook can still see them. I'll also add pictures from last week's dry run of the meet route since most of my backseat pictures kinda suck. :P

Excellent, since we cut the tour short and our car opted to head back to the gathering spot after seeing the cutouts.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Takumi

I'm going to upload my photos and a couple videos later today as well. We went from downtown to Laburnum via I-95 and VA 161, checked out the 161 & 197 cutouts, then stopped at the Interstate Center and ultimately the misprinted 197 cutout that was hit by a car before returning to Short Pump for dinner.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Takumi

I've uploaded all the photos I took to Facebook and will be doing blog entries with them over the course of the week. Some highlights:

Waiting for lunch to arrive.

Descending the North Gayton extension's bridge over I-64.

The first stopping point on the tour was the white-border unisign.

Oddly specific.

Old Richmond city limit sign in the background.

The last original (1970s) Downtown Expressway overhead.

Original trailblazers for VA 195 and I-64.

Steve requires help in Kanawha Plaza.

Oops.

Recycled signage.

Original state-name I-195 unisign with interesting lighting.

Stairs from Laburnum Avenue to I-95.

White border.

A cutout that was hit by a car. The pole was bent near the bottom, but the shield itself has tire tracks on it, as well as some misprints.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Alps

Quote from: Takumi on October 14, 2012, 03:46:21 PM
Kneeling: Billy Riddle, Will Weaver, Scott Davis, Michael Elmore (looking like I've been cut off at the knees). Standing: Oscar Voss, Carl Tessier, Elric Naslund, H.B. Elkins, Steve Alpert, Chris Curley, Mike Tantillo, Doug Kerr, Jason Ilyes, Mike Pruett, Laura Bianca.
Sir Not Appearing In This Photo: Shawn De Cesari.

Post Merge: October 15, 2012, 11:09:25 PM

Quote from: Sanctimoniously on October 14, 2012, 05:51:40 PM
I like how I'm barely visible. It almost looks like I'm photobombing it.
You have the same build as Waldo and were wearing glasses.

Alps

Quote from: Takumi on October 15, 2012, 04:50:10 PM
I've uploaded all the photos I took to Facebook and will be doing blog entries with them over the course of the week. Some highlights:

Recycled signage.

As I recall, the left one was a 33 and the right one was a 60. The EASTs look original. I was also speculating, when someone noted it wasn't even enough to be white-background, that it appeared the entire sign was painted over the original, so it may very well have started out with a white background.

Takumi

Quote from: Steve on October 15, 2012, 11:05:46 PM
Sir Not Appearing In This Photo: Shawn De Cesari.
He was too busy on Instagram! :-D

Quote from: Steve on October 15, 2012, 11:09:18 PM
As I recall, the left one was a 33 and the right one was a 60. The EASTs look original. I was also speculating, when someone noted it wasn't even enough to be white-background, that it appeared the entire sign was painted over the original, so it may very well have started out with a white background.
You may be right. The original shields look very similar to the 360s on the white border unisign, although the banners don't.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Dougtone

Quote from: hbelkins on October 15, 2012, 11:51:20 AM
Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on October 15, 2012, 12:19:21 AM
I'm going to post the rest of the meet photos on Flickr so those here who can't see them on Facebook can still see them. I'll also add pictures from last week's dry run of the meet route since most of my backseat pictures kinda suck. :P

Excellent, since we cut the tour short and our car opted to head back to the gathering spot after seeing the cutouts.

I wound up seeing some of the old signs our car missed the next morning.  We were actually pretty close to a few of them when we decided to turn on I-64 to head back to Short Pump.

WillWeaverRVA

Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Alps

Oh hey, remember this meet? Anyone recall where we ended up eating dinner? I can see "Taste the Local" and "Happy Hour Specials", so I'm pretty sure it was some sort of alcoholic establishment.

Takumi

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Alps

Quote from: Takumi on September 07, 2013, 09:00:27 AM
Keagan's Irish Pub in Short Pump.
Thank you! Their signs are making their way toward the Internet this month.

jpi

That was a fun meet for Steph and I, we ended up in Williamsburg that night with an old friend of min I have not seen in 15 years. :-)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.