News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Richmond, VA Meet: October 13

Started by Takumi, June 15, 2012, 10:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

If interested in attending a Richmond meet, when is the best time for you?

October 6
1 (11.1%)
October 13
4 (44.4%)
October 20
1 (11.1%)
October 27
1 (11.1%)
November or later
2 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Takumi

Update from my last post: I've decided to start the meet in Short Pump, as it works better logistically. Better parking and better freeway access (I-64, I-295, and VA 288 are all nearby). Lunch will be at The Halligan Bar & Grill, 2451 Old Brick Road, Glen Allen, VA, 23060. There's a parking deck across the street (to the north) and more parking located in nearby businesses. The John Rolfe Parkway is located a block to the west and the North Gayton Road extension is fairly close as well, so it should make a good starting point.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

jpi

This works out great for Steph and I! :-)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

jpi

I now have Friday 10/12 off so Steph and I are definently in! We will be staying in Lynchburg Friday night and Saturday night.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Takumi

I did some scouting this morning. North Gayton isn't open yet, but it looked to be close to being done, so it may be open by meet time. I also verified the existence of two VA 6 cutouts in the western reaches of the city. They're not far from each other, so I'll try to fit them in somewhere.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

hbelkins

Every college in Virginia must be having a home football game on the 13th. Room rates are outrageous. $200 for the Comfort Inn in Lexington. $125 for the Sleep Inn in Staunton. $169 for the Sleep Inn in Lynchburg. Jason, I hope you got a reasonable rate on reservations for Lynchburg.

(I'm looking for a place to stay on the way home. May have to opt for as far west as Covington to be able to afford anything.)

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

74/171FAN

Quote from: hbelkins on September 17, 2012, 05:57:30 PM
Every college in Virginia must be having a home football game on the 13th. Room rates are outrageous. $200 for the Comfort Inn in Lexington. $125 for the Sleep Inn in Staunton. $169 for the Sleep Inn in Lynchburg. Jason, I hope you got a reasonable rate on reservations for Lynchburg.

(I'm looking for a place to stay on the way home. May have to opt for as far west as Covington to be able to afford anything.)
VT is having homecoming that weekend.  I don't know about other colleges though.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

jpi

I booked my room at the Lynchburg Super 8 two weeks ago with a discounted rate of 60.00 per night. Glad I booked when I did.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

hbelkins

I also wonder if that weekend might not be peak leaf-peeping season in the mountains, thus accounting for the high rates. The Covington Quality Inn was in the triple digits unless you booked and paid in advance. Too soon to do that since I never know if something will come up to keep me from attending.

Alps

Oddly, no one is mentioning any rates in Short Pump :P

hbelkins

Quote from: Steve on September 18, 2012, 09:01:51 PM
Oddly, no one is mentioning any rates in Short Pump :P

Best I can tell, they're pretty reasonable. I'm looking for something for Saturday night on the way home.

If my wife goes to NYC, she'll leave Sunday. I'll want to get home early enough to see her off, and give her the EZPass.

Current plans are to arrive Thursday night, then go clinch US 60 in Virginia, then do the CBBT and finish off US 50 in Maryland (I need the section east of Salisbury) and then US 301 back to Richmond. Will probably have to spend Thursday and Friday night in different hotels to take advantage of a Choice Hotels "stay 2 nights, get 1 free" promotion.

Dougtone

This is where I tend to go first to find any hotel deals...
http://www.pahighways.com/store/reservations.html

That being said, I haven't looked into hotels around Richmond before this.  I'm seeing plenty of reasonable rates at this time, though.  I'm planning on staying somewhere around Richmond on Saturday night before making my trip back to New York.

hbelkins

I think Richmond's rates, from what I've seen, are pretty reasonable. I may just end up back at the Red Roof in Staunton, which is where I stayed for the DC meet back in May.

Edit: I just checked and I have more than enough Choice Privileges points for a free night just about anywhere, so I laugh in the face of the price-gouging.

wriddle082

Richmond meet is October 13.  Birmingham meet is October 20.  Then on the weekend of the 27th, we are going to take our 3-year-old up to Great Wolf Lodge in the Charlotte area to play on the waterslides with a little friend of hers.  Since GWL is pretty expensive as it is, I've decided to only go to one of the two meets.  And I've decided that it will be Richmond.  Both cities are probably the same distance from Columbia, but if I go to Richmond, I'll have a weekend to rest before I go out of town again.

H.B., I'm going to use my Choice Privileges points to book a room as well.  If you have 16000 points, you can try the Comfort Suites in Glen Allen.  TripAdvisor ranks it #5 out of 22 hotels in Glen Allen.  I just booked it.

Takumi

The Halligan was excellent indeed. I had lunch there today. In addition to their regular menu, they have a $6 express lunch menu ($5 with water), so those who have price concerns should be satisfied. I also checked on a few more points of interest today, namely the white border signs and cutouts on VA 197, and cobblestones downtown. All are present and accounted for, but there are some rough streets near them. In addition, the Halligan staff said the best time to make a reservation is about 2 weeks in advance, so I need a general head count before long. Right now it looks like it'll be at least 12.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

oscar

Count me in for the meet.  But I'm not yet sure about my pre- or post-meet plans. 
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

hbelkins

Count me in, too, for purposes of your reservations. Better to have too many seats and have a no-show or two, than to not have enough.

Only time I've not RSVP'd for a meet was the last SWPA December meet at Brownsville, which was held the day after Christmas. It was basically a late-the-night-before decision for me to go.

Dr Frankenstein

Just bumped my attendance probability to 66.666..%, since my plans for a NC trip have been postponed, leaving no trip for October.

If I do, I'll come down on Friday and perhaps hang out with some other northeasterners that may want to do the same.

Dougtone

Booked a room at the Days Inn in Glen Allen for the night on Saturday the 13th.  The hotel rates I have been seeing close to Richmond seem to be on the fairly reasonable side.  I'll be making my way down starting on Friday, October 12th, and will probably stay somewhere about halfway between Albany, NY and Richmond, VA.

hbelkins

Glen Allen seems to be a decent-sized ZIP code area. It encompasses everything from the vicinity of Short Pump to the area around the I-95/I-295 interchange.

Beltway

http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Alps

Beltway

http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

hbelkins

agentsteel53

I was reminded of the Beatles' "Revolution".
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Takumi

I'll make the reservation tomorrow. I'm initially going to set it for 20, since it looks like that will be an approximate number, but I'll update it if it goes over.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.