News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Late Fall/Early Winter East Coast Meets

Started by froggie, May 29, 2013, 02:22:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

Quote from: froggie on June 21, 2013, 01:20:47 AM
Mid-October would be more scenic, but a fair chance of still being past peak (which is usually late September/early October).  The "scenic" time of year also tends to bring out lots more slow-moving-and-erratic drivers...November would have much less potential for that.
:ded:
October is out then (except maybe late October).  Guess I'll leave clinching the rest of Vermont's interstates for another time, since I'm not really sure I can fit everything in properly after the time change.

Any idea of an approximate count to give the restaurant when asking how early I should make reservations/if they would have room?  The only meet I've ever hosted before was a thing in St. Lawrence county that had extremely low attendance.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

Quote from: vdeane on June 21, 2013, 08:53:48 PM
Any idea of an approximate count to give the restaurant when asking how early I should make reservations/if they would have room?  The only meet I've ever hosted before was a thing in St. Lawrence county that had extremely low attendance.

I would think that one week's notice would be plenty.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

froggie

Right...that can be done much closer.  Typically is done less than 2 weeks out.

Where did you have in mind?

vdeane

So no need to contact them about when I need to contact them?

I'm thinking of Papa Frank's in Winooski http://www.papa-franks.com/
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

froggie

11/9 is looking better for me as a date for Burlington.  Leaning towards joining Adam Prince in Wilmington on 11/2.  May do something small in DC on 10/26 or 10/27, as I'm going to try to get up that way that weekend, but I'll have focus elsewhere (in part because the newly commissioned USS Minnesota submarine will be in Annapolis for the Naval Academy homecoming), so this would be more a lunch/dinner gathering than an actual roadmeet.  A full DC meet and/or a Hampton Roads meet will (depending on how my other plans gel out) be pushed either to late November-mid December or into 2014.

A note for Burlington:  if we do have it that day, it'll be the first Saturday *AFTER* Daylight Savings, so sunset will come early...around 4:30ish.

vdeane

I was thinking of a post-meet trip to Cold Hollow... I'm not sure if there would be enough time after DST though.

CanesFan27

Quote from: froggie on June 22, 2013, 07:10:55 AM
Right...that can be done much closer.  Typically is done less than 2 weeks out.

Where did you have in mind?

Here's what you do.

Call the prospective restaurant (now if you want) and inquire if they are able to accommodate a party of x (anticipated number for the meet).  If they say yes, ask if they have a separate party/group room.  If yes, that's when you ask when should I reserve it.  They may require a deposit also.

If they don't have any special group area - just call about a week out and make a reservation/give a heads up.  Then follow up the day before or that morning to make sure they are ready and let them know if there are any special or specific needs.

kj3400

I can make it to DC, considering I don't live far from it, but I'd have to push a train trip to Boston around, so I'll wait til a definite date is given.
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on May 29, 2013, 02:22:13 PM
The second meet, which would be held sometime in November (or possibly early December), would be the long-discussed Hampton Roads meet, with highlights being the US 17 Steel Bridge, US 13 Gilmerton Bridge, and the Midtown Tunnel/MLK Fwy extension.  Side trips could include the completed Jordan Bridge, the grave of the Kings Highway Bridge, or (participation-level-permitting) a tour of the Navy Base.

Just want to bump this possibility. Other than Cincinnati in October, I don't have any more travel plans for the year. I can't do the Tom-Tom meet, not doing Burlington, will most likely not do Wilmington or DC, and can't think of anything else offhand that's being planned for later in the year. This is a meet I would definitely like to attend

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jpi

If it ends up on the Saturday after Turkey Day then I am there since I will be traveling to York, PA that weekend and this is not far out of my way.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

froggie

froggie

Also, Valerie mentioned in another thread that the Burlington meet has a finalized date:  November 9.

jpi

I will be passing on Burlington especailly since I will be going to Lebanon, NH next month. Diecast toy show in Dayton, OH that weekend I am commited to.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.