News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Button Copy: A new theme

Started by Scott5114, August 11, 2009, 01:48:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

I would like to draw your attention to a new theme in your theme selector entitled "Button Copy (beta)". This is a new theme I've developed exclusively for this site, and we'd like to make it our default theme. But before we do that we'd like some of our users to try it for a while and let us know their opinions of it. So if you've ever wanted to help make this forum more awesome...well...all you have to do is set your theme to Button Copy and post here about what you find!

There are still a few things left unfinished: the mod links in the breadcrumb at the top and the previous/next links are illegible, the selected tab up top is still a nasty shade of blue, and the Chat link is missing. We hope to have these fixed by official rollout time. Let us know about any other bugs you find.

If you don't like it at all, we will of course continue to make the existing themes available even after the current theme is applied as default.

Thanks in advance for your help!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

mightyace

I'm tried it a bit.  The fonts, links, emoticons, etc. are missing in button copy's quick reply.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Scott5114

Hmm. So they are. Never really noticed that, probably because all the other forums I've been to leave them off "Quick Reply" and reserve the toolbars for the full reply form. :ded:

Tarkus

Seems to be working fine for me thus far.  I really like the look of it as well--excellent job, Scott! :thumbsup:

-Alex (Tarkus)

Chris

It looks nice. Although I'm not sure if the read/unread threads are very good to see.

A sidenote; What I don't like about the current theme (and the others) is that if you read 1 topic in a subforum, the entire subforum gets marked as "read" at the index page, even if there are 10 other unread topics. If you don't keep track, you might think that there are no unread topics, while there actually can be several unread topics.

Scott5114

Yeah, that is a bit annoying... it's a function of the core software though, not the theme, sorry :-/ By read/unread threads, do you mean the [NEW!] boxes, or the stoplight lenses? I could possibly lighten the shade of green on the stoplights if people are having problems distinguishing between ON and OFF.

I'm glad someone from across the pond likes it.. I was praying I wouldn't get called on being too America-centric :P

Chris

QuoteI'm glad someone from across the pond likes it.. I was praying I wouldn't get called on being too America-centric 

Well, that's why I'm here in the first place ;)

The quoting option doesn't seem to work, by the way.

Scott5114

Oh, now everything breaks. It was working just fine before I posted this thread :-/

Edit: Well, it's broken on the main theme, too. Hah! Not my fault!  :spin:

codyg1985

QuoteThe quoting option doesn't seem to work, by the way.

Yep, I tried to do quoting, and it keeps saying "Loading" at the top. The theme looks nice, but I would suggest replacing some of the commonly-used links (quote, reply, notify, mark unread/read, send this topic, print, new topic, post new poll) as graphics with the FHWA font used in those.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

SSOWorld

Quote from: codyg1985 on August 11, 2009, 07:02:29 AM
The theme looks nice, but I would suggest replacing some of the commonly-used links (quote, reply, notify, mark unread/read, send this topic, print, new topic, post new poll) as graphics with the FHWA font used in those.
For standard text, the FHWA font won't be recognized as a standard font in browsers because the font is likely not installed on the user's computer.  This will prevent us from using it regularly.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

codyg1985

QuoteFor standard text, the FHWA font won't be recognized as a standard font in browsers because the font is likely not installed on the user's computer.  This will prevent us from using it regularly.

I'm not suggesting using the FHWA font in the CSS for all the text, but to replace the text links with gif images which has text on them that use the FHWA font. That rest of the text would continue to have the Verdana font.

If I had photoshop installed on this computer I'd make a mockup of what I am proposing.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Chris

I think the color light green used in the topics might be a bit too bright. How about a grey vs a little darker grey to make the difference between the posts clear?

SSOWorld

Quote from: codyg1985 on August 11, 2009, 08:54:46 AM
I'm not suggesting using the FHWA font in the CSS for all the text, but to replace the text links with gif images which has text on them that use the FHWA font. That rest of the text would continue to have the Verdana font.

If I had photoshop installed on this computer I'd make a mockup of what I am proposing.
There is another disadvantage there in that the gif images will slow down loading of the page.  Even for broadband, that can get annoying.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Hellfighter

Oohhh, very cool! Haven't had any problems yet!

City

I love it, except for the current Quick Reply layout and the (in my opinion) big "Quote" and "Modify" icons. I also don't like the veto icon in the "Remove" button to be red. I say it should be black. But otherwise, great job! ;)

rawmustard

I've adjusted, and it looks pretty good. Just a few minor tweaks, such as icon size, and you've got a decent default theme.

mightyace

How about using a red arrow for topics with no new posts?
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Scott5114

QuoteHow about using a red arrow for topics with no new posts?

Well, the problem with that is that if you have a red arrow and a green arrow, people with red-green colorblindness will have a hard time distinguishing between them. (Real life stoplights mitigate this by having 3 lenses, and the colorblind know top=red, bottom=green, and Texas=a place to avoid driving).

KDOT has had complaints because their map legend has major roads shown in red, but also includes a relief map in the background, and a lot of eastern Kansas is thus shown in green. So to colorblind people reading the map, the major roads disappear...

yanksfan6129

Button copy looks nice so far.

However, yeah, there are some things that need to be worked out, as mentioned above.

cu2010

Looks good so far. Should be quite nice when the final product is rolled out! :D
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

corco

This is fantastic. Excellent work!

Ian

How do you change the theme again?  :confused:

EDIT: never mind, found it  :crazy:
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

US71

I'm not able to get it to come up. :-/
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

WNYroadgeek

Nice job on the skin! It looks awesome!

Ian

For the read/unread boxes, how about instead of just signal arrows, we include a whole traffic signal? Green for read and read for unread? I think it sounds like a good idea IMHO.

ian
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.