Regional Boards > Northwest

Washington

<< < (3/248) > >>

Bruce:

--- Quote from: jakeroot on May 23, 2016, 05:20:03 PM ---
--- Quote from: Bruce on May 23, 2016, 03:09:53 PM ---As for extra runs, that's up to BNSF, especially on the North Line. The negotiations for extending existing runs to Marysville would take longer than Link to Everett.

--- End quote ---

If they want extra runs, I think they need to build some sort of retaining wall between the tracks and the hillside north of Seattle. Seems like every other week during the winter, a slide closes the tracks.

--- End quote ---

WSDOT and BNSF spent most of last summer doing exactly that. Lots of mudslide mitigation work that seems to have worked, given the huge reduction in Sounder North cancellations this past winter (the wettest on record).

Tarkus:
You can add me to the "connected to Washington" list.  Lived in Ellensburg from 2004 to 2006, and even had a Washington Driver's License during that time.  I'm more familiar with the eastern side of the state, plus Vancouver.  Oddly enough, I've only been "through" (but not "to") Seattle twice.

Kacie Jane:

--- Quote from: Bruce on May 21, 2016, 09:13:38 PM ---I don't think that ST has ever used temporary platforms for something like this. There's been "temporary" platforms that were built just like a permanent one and used in the early days of Sounder while stations were being prepared, but other than that it hasn't been seen around here.

--- End quote ---

There were talks of putting a temporary platform in University Place for the U.S. Open at Chambers Bay, but they couldn't get contracts with BNSF (I think?) worked out in time.

--- Quote from: TEG24601 on May 23, 2016, 01:54:35 PM ---Hell, I'd go so far as to say that the Sounder should be running, all the time, from Stanwood to Seattle, with a stop in Marysville.  Also, expand operational times to outside commute times, and add holiday runs.  If they did that, I'd be much more inclined to go to Seattle to "hang out".
--- End quote ---

The ridership on the "North Line" just isn't there to support pouring more money into it.  (The Mukilteo station improvements are somewhat of an exception, since it's part of a multimodal project with the ferry terminal.)  The South Line packs their trains, and there's some talk of running midday service there if they can afford to purchase slots, but no such talk north of Seattle.

Bruce:

--- Quote from: Kacie Jane on May 24, 2016, 03:19:41 AM ---
--- Quote from: TEG24601 on May 23, 2016, 01:54:35 PM ---Hell, I'd go so far as to say that the Sounder should be running, all the time, from Stanwood to Seattle, with a stop in Marysville.  Also, expand operational times to outside commute times, and add holiday runs.  If they did that, I'd be much more inclined to go to Seattle to "hang out".
--- End quote ---

The ridership on the "North Line" just isn't there to support pouring more money into it.  (The Mukilteo station improvements are somewhat of an exception, since it's part of a multimodal project with the ferry terminal.)  The South Line packs their trains, and there's some talk of running midday service there if they can afford to purchase slots, but no such talk north of Seattle.

--- End quote ---

The South Line has the advantage of being a fast, relatively direct route for the Green River Valley, since the buses take a while to make the east-west connection to I-5. Ridership for Tacoma isn't as high, given the relatively direct buses from downtown and the Dome TC to Seattle.

The North Line has the reverse, with buses taking a fast, more direct route that ultimately ends up being a shorter commute for anyone who doesn't work at Union Station. The only possible time advantages for Sounder over express buses would lie north/east of Everett because of two key bottlenecks (I-5 and the US 2/Hewitt Avenue Trestle).

The south corridor could adopt some of the bus restructures that the north went through, mainly consolation of off-peak runs into a single, more frequent route (512) while retaining peak hour routes (510/511/513).

Kacie Jane:

--- Quote from: Bruce on May 24, 2016, 09:51:10 PM ---The South Line has the advantage of being a fast, relatively direct route for the Green River Valley, since the buses take a while to make the east-west connection to I-5. Ridership for Tacoma isn't as high, given the relatively direct buses from downtown and the Dome TC to Seattle.

The North Line has the reverse, with buses taking a fast, more direct route that ultimately ends up being a shorter commute for anyone who doesn't work at Union Station. The only possible time advantages for Sounder over express buses would lie north/east of Everett because of two key bottlenecks (I-5 and the US 2/Hewitt Avenue Trestle).
--- End quote ---

Right, which is exactly my point.  Rail may be able to get people from Marysville and Snohomish (and points beyond) to Everett faster, but it will still get them from Everett to Seattle inefficiently as it follows a bulge in the shoreline prone to landslides.

--- Quote from: Bruce on May 24, 2016, 09:51:10 PM ---The south corridor could adopt some of the bus restructures that the north went through, mainly consolation of off-peak runs into a single, more frequent route (512) while retaining peak hour routes (510/511/513).

--- End quote ---

Tacoma/Lakewood service has run like that since before Sound Transit was a thing, with the 594 providing consolidated off-peak service, and the 590/592/595 (and previously the 591 and 593) providing peak hour service to specific areas.

Anywhere else, before Sound Transit was a thing, off-peak express service wasn't a thing, so there wasn't/isn't anything to restructure.  Sound Transit added the 577/578 to Federal Way*, Auburn, and Puyallup.  Kent meanwhile is still waiting for something better than the 150.  (I don't think taking the 566 and transferring in Renton counts, especially since it doesn't run weekends.)

(*Federal Way had the 194, but it wasn't quite an express on the same level its current service is, and around the same time the 577 came to be, it was consolidated thanks to Link anyway.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version