News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Arizona Studies, Future Routes?

Started by Rover_0, October 19, 2009, 03:25:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rover_0

I've noticed this document that's about 2 years old, and it mentions the studies and consideration to extend Interstate 17 north to Page, and also considers the possibility of Interstate 66 through northern Arizona/southern Utah.  While it appears that this is just a study (and it shows several meetings among several county governments thoughout the state), it's still interesting that the extension of Interstate 17 and "Interstate 66" are mentioned here in a community of government document as of late 2007.  What are your thoughts?
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

brad2971

Well, considering that Arizona continues to be a national leader in population growth (despite the current recession blip), and considering that Utah has the nation's best bond rating, it's easy to see both states bond out to fund an extension of I-17 up to I-70. The increase in tourist traffic alone could help justify it, but an even better reason would be to help funnel truck traffic off I-15 and down through AZ to the Mexico border @Nogales.

This way, one can help avoid the unnecessary duplication of I-11 on the path of US93, and can help avoid any four-laning of roads further east of I-15 from Canada (namely, roads like the TR Expressway, Heartland Expressway, Ports-to-Plains).

Stephane Dumas

As for Nogales, maybe they could build a freeway bypass who'll link more directly to MX-15, Does AZ-189 could be upgraded without too much difficulties as a freeway?

Revive 755

* How big is the "US 60 reroute" listed on Page 7/118?  A small shift around Phoenix, or a new terrain corridor?

* Page 9/118 and 10/118:  Seems to be possible interest in at least an expressway grade spur from I-17 at AZ 69 to I-40 following AZ 89.

* Page 11/118:  I'm see Flagstaff having visions of imitating Portland, OR.  The I-17 bypass though sounds interesting.

Going to be very interesting to see where this study goes/has gone.

Quote from: brad2971This way, one can help avoid the unnecessary duplication of I-11 on the path of US93, and can help avoid any four-laning of roads further east of I-15 from Canada (namely, roads like the TR Expressway, Heartland Expressway, Ports-to-Plains).

I don't think Arizona can really stop those routes from being developed if they have enough potential.

Rover_0

Although, I've heard several options for a northern extension of I-17, five of which are listed here:

1.)  Extend I-17 roughly up US-89 to I-70, and let I-70 and I-15 connect the rest of the way to Salt Lake,

2.)  Extend I-17 north to Page, then beeline west to I-15 near St. George,

3.)  Extend I-17 north on US-89 to UT-20, then UT-20 over to I-15,

4.)  Extend I-17 north on US-89 all the way to Gunnison (with I-70 duplex), then UT-28 to I-15 at Nephi, or

5.)  Extend I-17 north on US-89 to US-160, then US-160 to US-191 and to I-70; also could include upgrade of US-6/191 to Price and through Spanish Fork Canyon to I-15 near Spanish Fork.

Personally, options #2 and #3 seem most reasonable to me, as they should cut construction costs (less road to be built); and Option #2 would solve, to some extent, the need for an east-west corridor through northern Arizona/southern Utah.  However, I do think that there is a good chance that I-66 could initially be built as a 60-to-70-mile spur off of I-15 towards Page that ends near Fredonia (as inferred to here, if you scroll to the right paragraph), then if and when the rest of the national route is built, just connect it into this portion of the route.

Rover_0

OK, here are the maps showing the potential routing of I-17.  Hopefully it can be made out, but the main route should be red.  There is a little gray routing going along US-89A for a while, then cutting across to meet US-89 about midway between Page and Kanab.  This is there because there has been some discussion about this routing, while the BQAZ Study seems to mention "extending I-17 into Utah by way of Page" or something to that effect quite a lot, inferring that any plans for the US-89A route have been abandoned.

1.)  I-17 to I-70, via US-89:

2.)  I-17 to I-15 via Kanab, Hurricane:

3.)  I-17 to I-15, via Panguitch, UT-20:

4.)  I-17 to I-15 near Nephi:

5.)  I-17 to I-15 near Spanish Fork, via Moab, Price:

And here is my I-66 spur idea:

edit: fixed broken links.  (Honestly didn't know how I did that).

AZDude

Great maps Rover_0  :clap:  I'd like to see I-17 extended northward into Utah.  Imagine Interstate UTAH 17!

agentsteel53

Quote from: AZDude on October 21, 2009, 12:29:20 AM
Great maps Rover_0  :clap:  I'd like to see I-17 extended northward into Utah.  Imagine Interstate UTAH 17!

good luck with that.  the last two state-named shields vanished in 2008.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

thenetwork

I'd prefer option 5.  I-17 up through eastern Utah would be a great connection between the National Parks (Arches/Canyonlands) in Utah, Lake Powell/Glen Canyon and the Grand Canyon/Flagstaff areas.  Traffic count will initially be too low to warrant in Interstate, but knowing there is a more direct route between Phoenix and Denver without any backtracking would probably pick up the volume over time. 

Conversely, a more direct route between the sun states and the Ski Resorts in Colorado would probably be appreciated as well, especially since this proposed corridor would have less harsher winter driving than those who use current north-south highways in Colorado.

And as a person who lives in Western Colorado, there is currently no easy way to get to Phoenix or Tucson. :)

brad2971

I seriously doubt either Utah or Colorado would pony up to upgrade US191 to US160, as the traffic potential is nonexistent from Nov thru April. Colorado would rather invest in either upgraded air service to the Vail Valley, or would rather give subsidies to bus/van providers to serve the ski resorts.  :-/

City

I would either go with #5 or #4. Number five, like thenetwork said, would bring an easy Denver-to-Phoenix route. Number 4 would bring a Salt Lake City-to-Phoenix route (But I-15 would be paralleling I-17, so it'd not be the best idea.). The I-66 spur idea would be better off an I-x15. One, because it'd slightly interfere with US-66, and two, because it looks awful short.

Oh, and what map service did you use, Rover_0?

Terry Shea

What?  No plans to bridge The Grand Canyon?    :-D

Rover_0

Quote from: City on October 21, 2009, 07:26:30 PM
I would either go with #5 or #4. Number five, like thenetwork said, would bring an easy Denver-to-Phoenix route. Number 4 would bring a Salt Lake City-to-Phoenix route (But I-15 would be paralleling I-17, so it'd not be the best idea.). The I-66 spur idea would be better off an I-x15. One, because it'd slightly interfere with US-66, and two, because it looks awful short.

Oh, and what map service did you use, Rover_0?

As for I-17, I personally think that #2 or #3 are most likely.  Option 2, because it would extend I-17 north into Utah and provide an east-west connection to I-15 from Page (avoiding building through some pretty tight spots north of the Colorado, i.e. Glendale and Marysvale Canyons); and Option 3, because that would avoid having to build an Interstate through Marysvale canyon while providing drivers along US-89 the quickest north-south connection between Arizona and Salt Lake.  Option 1 could also funnel drivers onto I-70 as well.

It would be tough to build up Antelope Pass, but we'll see if and how Arizona approaches this routing.

I used Yahoo! Maps--print screen, then slap some shields on it with Photoshop.  In case you're wondering, I did make the I-66 spur into an I-x15--I-715, to be exact:

As for the I-66 spur, it could be integrated into I-66, if that is ever built this far west.  I have seen maps that show I-66's (not High Priority Corridor 3) proposed corridor going as far as I-15 near St. George, UT.  It's a very long way from happening, but it's not quite dead either.  Of course, with the time it takes to build I-66 this far out west, we might as well get used to it being I-715.  Or expect to bridge the Grand Canyon.  :P   :pan:

Brandon

Number 5 would seem to do the most good on a regional and national scale.  Numbers 1, 3, and 4 parallel I-15 too much.  Number 2 looks nice, but what good would it do for traffic from the east?  Number 5 gets Utah something they've asked for for years, an upgrade (much needed) to US-6 between Green River and Spanish Fork for a route between Salt Lake and Denver (what they wanted I-70 to be in the first place).  It also stays away from Glen Canyon and Grand Canyon a bit more while still providing access.  The question on Number 5 is, how do the Navajo and Hopi nations feel about it?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Stephane Dumas

I agree with Brandon, #5 seens to fit with both regional and national scale  :clap:

and very good maps you did Rover_0 keep up your good work  :clap: :)

hm insulators

Option 5 to me certainly seems to make the most sense.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Rover_0

Man, it seems like Option #5 is pretty popular!  Hmm, maybe there's a chance of an I-117 between I-17 (around US-160) and I-15.  Or that can be part of I-66.  BTW, wouldn't it be pretty ironic that, if there are no new 3di's in the Phoenix area, there'd be a 3di in rural northern Arizona (wether it would be I-117 or I-715)?

Alps

Rover -  moved your Utah post to the Rocky Mountain board.  If you think it's off topic, post it where it's on!

sandiaman

There  should  be a link  between I-17 and the four corners  at Monticello UT.  Let's  say an I -21  or an I-23 link terminating at Monticello, coming up from Bernalillo  junction of I-25.  This is a beeline  corridor  from   not only Albuquerque,  but Texas and other southern cities.  It is currently US 550, and carries a rather high tourist and truck  traffic to the Four Corners  (Farmington, Durango, Cortez and  Mesa Verde National  Park).  US  6  through  Price Canyon in Utah, is heavily traveled and very  dangerous.  The West is all but forgotten in  Interstate planning, as if there is no growth  here.  Better and safer  highways are  desperately needed.

agentsteel53

I drove US-550 in September and I didn't think the traffic levels were at all problematic on the expressway section.  Of course, getting into Aztec and Bloomfield was a different story. 

by the way, are there any NM-44 shields left?  I did not see any but I only took the current alignment of 550.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Fcexpress80

It's curious that option 5 takes the Interstate through Price, Utah and through the Spanish Fork Canyon.  I've argued in the Rocky Mountain section that this would make a decent alternate route between Denver and Salt Lake City that could probably be numbered I-72.  I think that the I-17 extension proposal makes sense through Price if you consider it serves the Phoenix to Salt Lake City corridor as well as the more controversial Denver to Salt Lake City alternative.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.