Regional Boards > Pacific Southwest

CA 203

<< < (2/5) > >>

Max Rockatansky:

--- Quote from: hm insulators on July 12, 2017, 12:43:30 PM ---The late summer of 1976, my parents and I rented a little condo for a couple of weeks up there.

--- End quote ---

There are some great deals going on right now with the damage from the winter to Minaret Summit and Devils Postpile.  Mammoth is a pretty jumping off point for Tioga Pass, Bodie, and the alpine lakes in the eastern Sierras.

sparker:
Mammoth has historically priced its accommodations in line with its status as a recreational destination; it was always a bit pricey for simple overnight or "pass-through" use (Bishop facilities were invariably more reasonable).  But looking at some of the deals you can get these days at the place (mostly online advance bookings) it appears that the cumulative fiscal effects from the '07-'11 recession plus the weather issues this year during what would have been their peak season have prompted management to consider offering a wider range of pricing structures -- particularly in the "off-season".  Since much of Mammoth clientele is drawn from Southern California, they need a reasonably compelling reason in this day & age to schlep 250 miles for both winter sports and summer mountain recreation; deep discounts may well accomplish that.  It'd be interesting to compare Mammoth rates with those of other Sierra resorts -- especially those more readily accessed from Bay Area or Sacramento -- to see if they've responded to the current environment in similar fashion.   

Max Rockatansky:
Interestingly I think the trend has reversed with Bishop and Mammoth.  The last couple years every overnight stay I've had in Bishop has been well over $100 dollars while Mammoth has been consistently below the $100 threshold. This time around I only paid $65 dollars for my room with tax, not bad for really what was just an overnight trip.  Can't say I had much to complain about having something so close to Tioga and Bodie....I still prefer Bishop though simply because it is less of a tourist town and easier to get around.

sparker:

--- Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 12, 2017, 10:55:08 PM ---Interestingly I think the trend has reversed with Bishop and Mammoth.  The last couple years every overnight stay I've had in Bishop has been well over $100 dollars while Mammoth has been consistently below the $100 threshold. This time around I only paid $65 dollars for my room with tax, not bad for really what was just an overnight trip.  Can't say I had much to complain about having something so close to Tioga and Bodie....I still prefer Bishop though simply because it is less of a tourist town and easier to get around.

--- End quote ---

So room-rate inflation has hit Bishop as well!  Haven't stayed there since 2001, so my conjecture is obviously dated.  Won't have the opportunity to check it out for quite some time, as the only out-of-Northern-California trip planned is a quick (1 week or so) down-and-back to Hesperia in late September or early October, with a side trip via Glendale and Billy's Deli (my old hometown, so I'm a bit prejudiced -- but that place can give Canter's or Jerry's a run for their money!).  If my schedule will allow, I might reacquaint myself with some of the more obscure highways & local roads in the "Orange Belt" on my return trip (possibly CA 216 and/or CA 201 may be on the agenda, along with parts of CA 63 -- or i may just "wing it").  Haven't done this sort of trip for the last 15 years or so (either business or health issues have intervened); it'll be good to get out there once again.   

Max Rockatansky:

--- Quote from: sparker on July 13, 2017, 02:03:17 AM ---
--- Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 12, 2017, 10:55:08 PM ---Interestingly I think the trend has reversed with Bishop and Mammoth.  The last couple years every overnight stay I've had in Bishop has been well over $100 dollars while Mammoth has been consistently below the $100 threshold. This time around I only paid $65 dollars for my room with tax, not bad for really what was just an overnight trip.  Can't say I had much to complain about having something so close to Tioga and Bodie....I still prefer Bishop though simply because it is less of a tourist town and easier to get around.

--- End quote ---

So room-rate inflation has hit Bishop as well!  Haven't stayed there since 2001, so my conjecture is obviously dated.  Won't have the opportunity to check it out for quite some time, as the only out-of-Northern-California trip planned is a quick (1 week or so) down-and-back to Hesperia in late September or early October, with a side trip via Glendale and Billy's Deli (my old hometown, so I'm a bit prejudiced -- but that place can give Canter's or Jerry's a run for their money!).  If my schedule will allow, I might reacquaint myself with some of the more obscure highways & local roads in the "Orange Belt" on my return trip (possibly CA 216 and/or CA 201 may be on the agenda, along with parts of CA 63 -- or i may just "wing it").  Haven't done this sort of trip for the last 15 years or so (either business or health issues have intervened); it'll be good to get out there once again.

--- End quote ---

43 has seen a lot of recent upgrades with the roundabouts at Lacey Blvd in addition to CA 137.  I published photos from Lacey but the 137 roundabout appears to be brand new and not quite complete.  Outside of that 201, 216, 63, and 65 haven't seen much changes recently.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version