News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Massive 28 vehicle wreck on I-70, 4 dead

Started by rickmastfan67, April 29, 2019, 07:01:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickmastfan67

thenetwork

It was a tragic event.  There were only 4 fatalities -- it could've been much worse.

The local Denver stations were reporting this morning that the trucking company he worked for has had numerous violations and some other 'issues' with drivers in the recent past. 

I also heard there was a GoFundMe account to help pay for the truck drivers bond.  WTF???

Brian556

Quote from: thenetwork on April 29, 2019, 10:51:12 AM
It was a tragic event.  There were only 4 fatalities -- it could've been much worse.

The local Denver stations were reporting this morning that the trucking company he worked for has had numerous violations and some other 'issues' with drivers in the recent past. 

I also heard there was a GoFundMe account to help pay for the truck drivers bond.  WTF???

It really pisses me off when people start GoFundMe accounts for those who cause accidents

thenetwork

Quote from: Brian556 on April 29, 2019, 04:18:49 PM
Quote from: thenetwork on April 29, 2019, 10:51:12 AM

It really pisses me off when people start GoFundMe accounts for those who cause accidents

I gotta shake my head in confusion for those who put up roadside memorials for a person who was killed in single-car accidents because the individual did something stupid (driving under the influence, reckless driving, using cell phone,...) but did not harm anyone else.

"See where that stuffed teddy bear is with the cross over there?  That's where my drunk dumb ass neighbor did 120 into the telephone pole".

roadman65

Truckers today have no common sense!  I deal with some at the toll plaza and many of them are totally ignorant of roads despite they drive them for a living.  Its not pleasant what I see, but its a miracle that more stuff like this does not happen.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Verlanka

Quote from: Brian556 on April 29, 2019, 04:18:49 PM
I agree.

renegade

If that was indeed the truck involved in the accident, the driver's legal problems began when he passed the runaway truck ramp shown in the last video.  If he had used that ramp, he would have been another nameless, faceless dumbass facing a huge tow bill instead of four counts of manslaughter.  I expect he will do some prison time as a result
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

Mark68

The company the driver was working for is certainly no stranger to safety violations:

https://www.9news.com/article/news/investigations/trucking-company-connected-to-i-70-crash-has-history-of-safety-issues-involving-brakes/73-18e8ce1f-5486-4dc8-828c-e52b3fdd6239

"Online inspection reports from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration reveal 30 violations connected to Castellano 03 trucking since late 2017.
At least 10 violations include issues like "brake tubing and hose adequacy"  and "clamp or Roto type brake out-of-adjustment," the reports say."
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

The Ghostbuster

How long might the truck driver spend in prison? I would expect a hefty sentence.

thspfc

This is terrible. It's hard to believe a person who drives for a living would overlook the dangers of driving his out of control truck straight into heavy traffic. Really, 23 year old drivers should stay off tricky roads like that part of I-70. Those jobs should go to more experienced drivers.

keithvh

The I-70 descent is well marked and well signed all the way from Idaho Springs to the C-470 interchange.

I think what a lot of people don't appreciate --- I-70 takes awhile after C-470 to truly flatten out.  It continues to have a non-insignificant downhill descent all the way from C-470 to C-58 (Golden Expressway).  The I-70/C-470 interchange is at 6180 feet.  The I-70/Denver West interchange (where the accident occurred) is at 5680 feet.

That's another 500 vertical feet over 3 horizontal miles.  Only a 3%-ish grade, but it's still downhill. 

Makes it even more important for trucks to use that runaway truck ramp up the hill if they can.  It's the only runaway truck ramp and there's more downhill than explicitly advertised ahead.

nexus73

Quote from: thspfc on May 03, 2019, 05:33:03 PM
This is terrible. It's hard to believe a person who drives for a living would overlook the dangers of driving his out of control truck straight into heavy traffic. Really, 23 year old drivers should stay off tricky roads like that part of I-70. Those jobs should go to more experienced drivers.

If companies paid those who drive for a living a better wage as well as the mechanics, their accident rate would go down.  Turnover rates run in the 100% territory for many of the major carriers.  Management forgets the most valuable capital is human capital.  Truck drivers, as opposed to nuts behind the wheel, do not grow on trees! 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

oscar

Quote from: nexus73 on May 05, 2019, 10:04:20 AM
If companies paid those who drive for a living a better wage as well as the mechanics, their accident rate would go down.  Turnover rates run in the 100% territory for many of the major carriers.  Management forgets the most valuable capital is human capital.  Truck drivers, as opposed to nuts behind the wheel, do not grow on trees!

Neither does the cash earned by trucking companies. What makes you think the companies can afford to pay the higher wages? The turnover rate you cite suggests it's not just the shakiest operations that are living on the edge, financially.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

theroadwayone

I think 15 years per count is a decent enough sentence. He won't get out till he's in his 80s.

thspfc

I think there's an ancient thread on this crash, but I couldn't find it. There's been a lot of clamoring for the sentence to be shortened, including truckers going on strike.

tolbs17

Well Ryan Stone got sentenced to 160 years in prison for carjacking several people in the same location back on March 13, 2014.

SectorZ

Are truckers seriously planning striking over this?

I get that the sentence may be aggressive, but we have video proof that this guy willfully avoided a runaway truck lane after he was losing control of the truck. That's when an accident leaps a bit beyond being an accident.

(Notwithstanding that very few crashes are "accidents" anyways).

zzcarp

Quote from: SectorZ on December 17, 2021, 08:14:23 PM
Are truckers seriously planning striking over this?

I get that the sentence may be aggressive, but we have video proof that this guy willfully avoided a runaway truck lane after he was losing control of the truck. That's when an accident leaps a bit beyond being an accident.

(Notwithstanding that very few crashes are "accidents" anyways).

I've not heard anything locally about strikes. Most truck drivers know the difficulties of driving in the mountains and the requirement of specialized training to drive those routes.

The 110 year sentence was due to mandatory sentencing laws, and even the judge didn't want to sentence him for that long. Of course I have a friend in prison who got 17 years for burglary and assault where nothing was stolen and no one was hurt at all, so maybe the sentence is "appropriate" for 4 people killed in the context of our current judicial system. That said, I think 20 years is appropriate for the driver's willful negligence. I wouldn't be surprised if Gov. Polis commutes it to a more reasonable sentence after any appeals are done.
So many miles and so many roads

Brandon

Quote from: thspfc on December 17, 2021, 07:57:44 PM
I think there's an ancient thread on this crash, but I couldn't find it. There's been a lot of clamoring for the sentence to be shortened, including truckers going on strike.

The big problem is that these are mandatory minimum sentences.  Even the sentencing judge though it was too long.
https://reason.com/2021/12/15/he-was-sentenced-to-110-years-in-prison-for-causing-fatal-traffic-accident-colorado-judge-mandatory-sentencing/
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

ran4sh

Yeah, there may be truck driver opposition but the strong opposition comes from people who are against the idea of mandatory minimum sentences in general. Logically one would think that, if someone doesn't deserve the mandatory minimum (i.e. a lower sentence would be appropriate) then they should just be ruled not guilty, but in practice that's not what happens.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

ilpt4u

I believe this is the original post about this incident: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=24919.0

I'll let the Mods decide if this should be merged into that thread

AFA the sentencing...If it is too long, let the Lawyers deal with it on Appeal. People died because a Trucker didn't use the available runaway truck ramps with failing breaks coming out of the Rockies into Denver

rickmastfan67

Quote from: ilpt4u on December 18, 2021, 11:24:24 PM
I believe this is the original post about this incident: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=24919.0

I’ll let the Mods decide if this should be merged into that thread

AFA the sentencing…If it is too long, let the Lawyers deal with it on Appeal. People died because a Trucker didn’t use the available runaway truck ramps with failing breaks coming out of the Rockies into Denver

Now merged.

SD Mapman

Quote from: zzcarp on December 17, 2021, 08:39:00 PM
I've not heard anything locally about strikes.
Not sure if it would really be a strike, but more of a embargo on Colorado per the TikTok posts in this article: https://www.deseret.com/2021/12/20/22846630/truck-drivers-boycott-colorado-after-driver-sentenced-to-110-years-in-prison
Now, I'm not sure if these TikTok posts are legit ("Believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln) or just trying to incite controversy.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

KCRoadFan

I'm guessing that he drove the truck with the faulty brakes because the company wanted the load delivered by a certain time, and that if he had the truck fixed, he might have been fired or at least lost that day's pay. Or so I have heard.

In that case, it's at least partly the company's fault, and he should be let off - or at least have the sentence reduced. What do you think?

Rothman

Quote from: KCRoadFan on December 20, 2021, 05:53:38 PM
I'm guessing that he drove the truck with the faulty brakes because the company wanted the load delivered by a certain time, and that if he had the truck fixed, he might have been fired or at least lost that day's pay. Or so I have heard.

In that case, it's at least partly the company's fault, and he should be let off - or at least have the sentence reduced. What do you think?
No.  The driver should be held accountable for incompetence shown in the video.  Yes, the sentence was too harsh.

I also don't think we know if the truck had faulty brakes from the beginning.

That said, the company should be held accoutable for putting an undertrained and inexperienced driver on that route.

Has any action been taken against his employer?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.