TV Episodes You Missed Totally Unaware Of

Started by roadman65, November 22, 2022, 10:04:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I used to religiously watch Star Trek TNG in first run syndication.  However I missed the shows penultimate episode despite seeing the shows finale.

I was totally unaware that Ensign Ro and Starfleet parted on bad terms as in the second to last showed her character betraying the Federation and defecting to the enemy Maquis.   I saw the episode recently for the first time and was surprised to say the least as Ensign Ro was part of the TNG crew we all loved over time, to now see her in treachery was a total blow.

Being it was the end of a era, I guess writers felt what better way to write out a part time cast member ( as she was not a main, but recurring star) then to have her of all become a traitor.   Then again, she came to TNG as a convicted Court Marshaled Starfleet Officer let out to aid Picard in a task, so why not change the leopard spots. After all in TV anything is possible.

Any episodes of a show you somehow missed of a series you regularly watched once that you discovered in syndication you would love to share.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

abefroman329

Quote from: roadman65 on November 22, 2022, 10:04:21 AMAny episodes of a show you somehow missed of a series you regularly watched once that you discovered in syndication you would love to share.
I'm old enough to remember when your options for watching a first-run episode of a TV show were

(a) watch it live
(b) tape it on your VCR
(c) buy/rent/borrow videotapes of the show or, later, DVDs

So, my answer to your question is probably "too many to mention."

SP Cook

There was an episode of "I Love Lucy"  which was, probably, the first sitcom to use the now overused trope of doing a Christmas episode based on "A Christmas Carol" .  In the episode Fred was Scrooge and the episode was very dark and not funny.  So bad that CBS never even reran it later that season and they never included it in the syndication.  It was forgotten until CBS ran it in the 2000s as a "lost"  episode.  I was unaware it existed until then. 

Not exactly the same thing, but there was a show called "JAG"  which was a rip off miss mash of Top Gun and A Few Good Men.  It was on NBC for a year and ended on a "cliffhanger"  with the hero arrested.  But NBC cancelled it and CBS brought it back, reworked and mostly recast, the next year.  But they just ignored the previous year and never resolved the story.  Now it is in reruns on Paramount Plus and elsewhere and people ask where Part 2 of the first year's final episode is, but it was never made.

Henry

Quote from: abefroman329 on November 22, 2022, 10:45:47 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on November 22, 2022, 10:04:21 AMAny episodes of a show you somehow missed of a series you regularly watched once that you discovered in syndication you would love to share.
I'm old enough to remember when your options for watching a first-run episode of a TV show were

(a) watch it live
(b) tape it on your VCR
(c) buy/rent/borrow videotapes of the show or, later, DVDs

So, my answer to your question is probably "too many to mention."
And now you have on-demand options if you get cable, so a fourth option is there where it applies. Also, you should add DVR to option (b), because that is an essential replacement for VCRs.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

abefroman329

Quote from: SP Cook on November 22, 2022, 10:57:27 AM
There was an episode of "I Love Lucy"  which was, probably, the first sitcom to use the now overused trope of doing a Christmas episode based on "A Christmas Carol" .  In the episode Fred was Scrooge and the episode was very dark and not funny.  So bad that CBS never even reran it later that season and they never included it in the syndication.  It was forgotten until CBS ran it in the 2000s as a "lost"  episode.  I was unaware it existed until then. 

Not exactly the same thing, but there was a show called "JAG"  which was a rip off miss mash of Top Gun and A Few Good Men.  It was on NBC for a year and ended on a "cliffhanger"  with the hero arrested.  But NBC cancelled it and CBS brought it back, reworked and mostly recast, the next year.  But they just ignored the previous year and never resolved the story.  Now it is in reruns on Paramount Plus and elsewhere and people ask where Part 2 of the first year's final episode is, but it was never made.
And then there are the countless instances where X episodes of a new show were filmed, but only Y were ever aired.  I'm hoping that, one day, CBS puts every episode of "Viva Laughlin" on Paramount+.

kurumi

Fictional, but brought to mind the episode where Scratchy catches Itchy, but Bart and Lisa miss out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57EvSk4lI70
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: roadman65 on November 22, 2022, 10:04:21 AM
I used to religiously watch Star Trek TNG in first run syndication.  However I missed the shows penultimate episode despite seeing the shows finale.

I was totally unaware that Ensign Ro and Starfleet parted on bad terms as in the second to last showed her character betraying the Federation and defecting to the enemy Maquis.   I saw the episode recently for the first time and was surprised to say the least as Ensign Ro was part of the TNG crew we all loved over time, to now see her in treachery was a total blow.

Being it was the end of a era, I guess writers felt what better way to write out a part time cast member ( as she was not a main, but recurring star) then to have her of all become a traitor.   Then again, she came to TNG as a convicted Court Marshaled Starfleet Officer let out to aid Picard in a task, so why not change the leopard spots. After all in TV anything is possible.

Any episodes of a show you somehow missed of a series you regularly watched once that you discovered in syndication you would love to share.

The plan was for Michelle Forbes to jump to Deep Space 9 for Ro to continue as a recurring character in the Maquis stories on that show, but she declined.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.