AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: UPDATED: User profile political content restrictions  (Read 48218 times)

Scott5114

• Nit picker of unprecedented pedantry

• Last Login: Today at 08:41:23 PM
    • Denexa 100% Plastic Playing Cards
UPDATED: User profile political content restrictions
« on: May 31, 2018, 08:20:29 PM »

Due to a recent rash of users posting inflammatory content in their user profiles, political content in your user profile–that's your signature, user title, avatar, username, anything else attached to your post that you have the ability to publicly display–is expressly prohibited as of May 31, 2018. The official rule is as follows:

Political content of any kind (statements of political affiliation, endorsement of or opposition to any candidate, content demeaning or attacking a political ideology, etc.) in your forum profile (signatures, user titles, avatars, et al.) is not allowed. The staff reserves the right to remove or edit content that an administrator judges to be political in nature.

(The exact wording of this rule may be tweaked in the next few days as necessary; I will do my best to keep this copy of it updated.) We will allow a short grace period for affected users to update their own profiles to be in compliance with the rule. After that, an administrator will remove the content from your profile on sight. I'm sure it goes without saying that if an admin removes political content from your signature and you put it back, further moderation action will be taken. But you all knew that already.

The existing political content rule for posts (that is it discouraged but not banned entirely so long as it pertains to roads) still applies. Let's keep the political drama on Facebook, okay? This is where we go to fight about fonts.

If you have any questions, this thread is open for discussion. Thanks for your participation in the forum, guys; I know it sucks having more rules to keep track of, but we want to keep this a place everyone enjoys coming to.

[Edited to promote text to purple. -S.]
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 06:01:05 AM by Scott5114 »
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

• Last Login: Today at 09:41:17 PM
    • Flickr account
Re: UPDATED: User profile political content restrictions
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 08:25:06 PM »

Do I need to change my avatar?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Scott5114

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 08:31:56 PM »

Any case that isn't totally clear-cut would have to be determined by consensus of the mod staff, but with that asterisk on it, I would say no, you won't have to. With this change, we're looking more at clearly partisan things such as expressing support or disdain for particular political parties, ideologies, or individual politicians.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 06:00:17 AM by Scott5114 »

Takumi

• now with even more cars!

• Last Login: Today at 12:05:38 PM
    • The Practical Hoon (blog)
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 09:21:13 PM »

Any case that isn't totally clear-cut would have to be determined by consensus of the mod staff, but with that asterisk on it, I would say no, you won't have to. With this change, we're looking more at clearly partisan things such as expressing support or disdain for particular political parties, ideologies, or individual politicians.
And if someone changes theirs to individual forum members? Hypothetically speaking...
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don’t @ me. Seriously.

Scott5114

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 09:36:03 PM »

And if someone changes theirs to individual forum members? Hypothetically speaking...

That is covered by an existing rule:
Posting harassing or insulting remarks towards another member. Later editing or deleting your post does not absolve you from punishment. Learn respect.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 06:02:02 AM by Scott5114 »

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: Today at 04:15:45 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 01:52:32 PM »

Once again, a few malcontents ruin everything for everybody. One size fits all. Baby with the bathwater. And etc. (sic)

Addendum: I probably should clarify. In my perception, this really wasn't an issue until a couple of people turned it into one. Instead of merely using a signature or profile comment to communicate their own feelings or ideologies, they instead chose to complain about people who do/did. Had they left the matter alone, this wouldn't have happened. But they made a big splash over it, and thus we have the "one size fits all" approach that doesn't differentiate between forum/MTR/roadgeeking veterans and rookies.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 03:00:38 PM by hbelkins »

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

abefroman329

• Last Login: October 17, 2023, 11:38:46 AM
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 02:56:12 PM »

Suits me just fine.  Anyone who doesn't like it is free to use their personal freedom and leave.

• Flickr account
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2018, 04:22:20 PM »

"one size fits all" approach that doesn't differentiate between forum/MTR/roadgeeking veterans and rookies.

Rules apply to everyone equally.

abefroman329

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2018, 04:27:54 PM »

Once again, a few malcontents ruin everything for everybody. One size fits all. Baby with the bathwater. And etc. (sic)

Addendum: I probably should clarify. In my perception, this really wasn't an issue until a couple of people turned it into one. Instead of merely using a signature or profile comment to communicate their own feelings or ideologies, they instead chose to complain about people who do/did. Had they left the matter alone, this wouldn't have happened. But they made a big splash over it, and thus we have the "one size fits all" approach that doesn't differentiate between forum/MTR/roadgeeking veterans and rookies.

It really sounds like you should start your own forum, where you can make as many (or as few) rules you like.

• Flickr account
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2018, 04:31:04 PM »

It really sounds like you should start your own forum, where you can make as many (or as few) rules you like.

bugo tried that. It didn't work.

hbelkins

• Millennium Highway
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2018, 04:37:19 PM »

Or you could have taken your own advice before the change was made...

Suits me just fine.  Anyone who doesn't like it is free to use their personal freedom and leave.

:bigass:

abefroman329

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2018, 04:53:12 PM »

Or you could have taken your own advice before the change was made...

:bigass:

Nah, I'll stay.  I like it better now, not being smacked in the face with unsolicited political opinions  :bigass: :bigass: :bigass: :bigass: :bigass: :bigass: :bigass: :bigass: :bigass: :bigass: :bigass: :bigass: :bigass:

abefroman329

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2018, 04:55:42 PM »

Unmoderated forums tend to be cesspools.  The one at the old fuckedcompany.com (don't get mad at me, I didn't name it) sure was.  More recently, there are certain subreddits (some are enormously helpful, some..not so much).

« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 06:17:04 PM by abefroman329 »

US71

• Road Scholar , Master of Snark

• Mad man with a camera

• Last Login: April 06, 2023, 10:39:02 PM
    • The Road Less Taken
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2018, 06:18:28 PM »

He was supposedly hacked.  You'd have to ask him for details
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

webny99

• Last Login: Today at 10:03:01 PM
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2018, 08:23:00 PM »

But they made a big splash over it, and thus we have the "one size fits all" approach that doesn't differentiate between forum/MTR/roadgeeking veterans and rookies.

To me, the issue was just as much, if not more, about unequal treatment than it was about politics in signatures. How long you've been around, been roadgeeking, etc, has no bearing whatsoever on forum rules. A rule isn't a rule unless one size does fit all - or what's the point of having a rule at all?

MNHighwayMan

• Blue and gold forever!

• Last Login: February 17, 2020, 10:23:20 PM
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2018, 09:48:51 PM »

But they made a big splash over it, and thus we have the "one size fits all" approach that doesn't differentiate between forum/MTR/roadgeeking veterans and rookies.
To me, the issue was just as much, if not more, about unequal treatment than it was about politics in signatures. How long you've been around, been roadgeeking, etc, has no bearing whatsoever on forum rules. A rule isn't a rule unless one size does fit all - or what's the point of having a rule at all?

I also thought that the difference between what was allowed in posts, and what was allowed in user profiles, to be weird and inconsistent.

By the way, can I campaign for the next Alan for the Grand Unified Alan of Alanland in my signature, or is that banned by this policy too? :bigass:

abefroman329

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2018, 09:57:28 PM »

I also thought that the difference between what was allowed in posts, and what was allowed in user profiles, to be weird and inconsistent.

By the way, can I campaign for the next Alan for the Grand Unified Alan of Alanland in my signature, or is that banned by this policy too? :bigass:

Alan isn’t running for Grand Unified Alan. Also, Alan is running for Grand Unified Alan.

hbelkins

• Millennium Highway
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2018, 10:33:56 PM »

I've made no secret of my preference for unmoderated forums. If someone says something you don't like, you can respond in kind or you can ignore them. You don't go crying to someone to complain about how you're being treated. You need to put on your big boy or girl pants and deal with it. But the sad truth is, this place is all there is. Usenet's on life support (and I blame Usenet's overall decline for m.t.r.'s demise, not any specific problems with that specific group.). Ditto for the Yahoo groups. Facebook groups aren't totally open, either, and we have several here who won't have anything to do with Facebook. (Although there's at least one roadgeek of long standing who refuses to come here; he's expressed his displeasure for php-based forums in the past, but I don't know if he has an issue with the format in general or this forum in particular). So if one wants to discuss roads, by default this is pretty much where you have to go. But I have to say that a conduct of a few members of the roadgeek community (here and elsewhere, and this thread is a good example why) is sucking the joy out of my interest.

You have a lot to learn about how things work in the real world. In just about every aspect of life, things such as age, seniority, education, experience, knowledge, status in the community (this does NOT mean economic status), your personal history, and so on, these things are taken into account into how rigidly the rules are enforced. Different people get leeway with certain things and that's just a fact of life. I had a judge tell me a few years ago that I would be treated differently should I ever come into his courtroom than others because of many of those factors I mentioned. I know that I take those things into account when I interact with others, including on this forum. I will give deference and respect to the long-timers, including those with whom I don't particularly get along, because they have earned it.

Using your logic, cops should write speeding tickets to everyone who goes 1 mph over the limit because a rule is a rule.

Get back to me in about 25 years and tell me how you feel about the matter then.

Nah, I'll stay.  I like it better now, not being smacked in the face with unsolicited political opinions  :bigass: :bigass: :bigass: :bigass: :bigass: :bigass: :bigass: :bigass: :bigass: :bigass: :bigass: :bigass: :bigass:

So tell me. If you're driving down the street and you see a bumper sticker supporting a candidate you don't like, what do you do? Do you mutter a few opinions under your breath, or vocalize them if you have a passenger, and then go on? Or do you complain to the DOT and get them to ban bumper stickers entirely? Here's another real-life lesson. You're going to encounter opinions with which you disagree every day, everywhere. You need to learn to deal with it instead of whining and complaining about it. I've had to come to terms with it. (Although I'm sure you didn't mind reading NE2's political comments in his sig/in his profile.) You just didn't want to see something you disagreed with.

"one size fits all" approach that doesn't differentiate between forum/MTR/roadgeeking veterans and rookies.

Rules apply to everyone equally.

Then I expect you'll be removing your profile picture.

abefroman329

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2018, 11:17:00 PM »

I highly recommend you continue whining about how everyone but you is a whiner.

abefroman329

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2018, 11:19:55 PM »

And what is political about being anti-hate, exactly? Is being anti-kicking puppies political now? Anti-clubbing baby seals?

AsphaltPlanet

• Bagel Technician - H&H Bagel

• Last Login: Today at 06:27:06 PM
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2018, 12:00:04 AM »

So tell me. If you're driving down the street and you see a bumper sticker supporting a candidate you don't like, what do you do? Do you mutter a few opinions under your breath, or vocalize them if you have a passenger, and then go on? Or do you complain to the DOT and get them to ban bumper stickers entirely? Here's another real-life lesson. You're going to encounter opinions with which you disagree every day, everywhere. You need to learn to deal with it instead of whining and complaining about it. I've had to come to terms with it. (Although I'm sure you didn't mind reading NE2's political comments in his sig/in his profile.) You just didn't want to see something you disagreed with.

But herein lies the real point.  Does a bumper sticker telling the world which candidate you support do anything positive for the public discourse?  I would argue that it doesn't.  I am always curious why people think they need to share that information.  Why does anyone think that the first thing that another person needs to know about them is who they supported in the last election?  It seems kind of socially clueless.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Rothman

• Last Login: Today at 07:50:09 PM
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2018, 12:13:18 AM »

I like moderation of forums.  I find it easier to deal with issues when there are moderators than dealing with the incessant profane and garbage that infests unmoderated forums.  We have enough nonsense on this forum as is; removing the moderators would be disastrous.

I remember and probably participated in some of the useless, space-sucking trolling and blather on m.t.r. back in the day (late 1990s?).  It wasn't utopia by a long shot.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: Today at 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2018, 12:23:06 AM »

This is a forum, so we are not subject to uphold freedom of expression. We choose to be consistent with how we restrict it in order to further on-topic discourse.

Hurricane Rex

• Speed 75 or bust. Keep on traveling.

• Location: Sherwood Oregon (Dec, Jun-Sep), Corvallis, Oregon (Oct, Nov, Jan-May)
  • Last Login: July 30, 2023, 12:18:15 AM
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2018, 02:16:20 AM »

Is my signature ok (the raise the speed limit ODOT part) or not? I got a complaint in school that that portion of the signature was political but I personally don't think so. I just don't want to end on the wrong side of things.

LG-TP260

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

MNHighwayMan

• Blue and gold forever!

• Last Login: February 17, 2020, 10:23:20 PM
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2018, 03:48:44 AM »

I've made no secret of my preference for unmoderated forums.

Go talk roads over on 4chan then. You'll get your wish.

If someone says something you don't like
AKA no politics stuff in your profile.
you can respond in kind
Like write excessive posts about how that's all wrong.
or you can ignore them. You don't go crying to someone to complain about how you're being treated.
(emphasis added)
Umm…

The irony is kind of palpable, here.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 03:55:58 AM by MNHighwayMan »

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.