News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Interstates that violate Interstate Highway Standards

Started by X99, March 24, 2019, 04:28:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprjus4

50 MPH is permitted on urban interstate highways, so that segment of I-75 would meet interstate standards.

Flint1979

Quote from: sprjus4 on March 31, 2019, 11:14:37 AM
50 MPH is permitted on urban interstate highways, so that segment of I-75 would meet interstate standards.
Heck in St. Paul I-35E goes down to 45 mph.

Flint1979

Actually backing up to the serious accidents that have happened there. The entire bridge collapsed about 5 or so years ago. That was the 9 Mile bridge and there has been flooding in that area too.

Flint1979

Flint1979

I also remember another tanker explosion that happened on one of the ramps from I-94 to I-75 about 20 years ago I went down there about a week later and you could still smell the gas from the explosion

Bickendan

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on March 30, 2019, 03:22:13 PM
In response to Brandon: I-82 also violates the numbering standard by primarily being a N/S interstate instead of E/W interstate (caused by the original plan to come from Tacoma and over Naches Pass).
Not if you consider it part of the Seattle-Boise corridor, even if it has a lot of N/S movement, and is entirely N/S (and technically wrong-way E/W) in Oregon.

QuoteIn response to KP Hoger: I will admit that I haven't been through there since September, so my memory might be a little foggy. I'm also not going through a good time in my life right now in all aspects. All I remember was it was around the Rooster Rock area (if it exists). It might not be against standards but I thought it was.
Eastbound or westbound?

QuoteDid anyone mention the Interstate bridge or Marqum bridge yet? Both have narrower lanes, and no shoulders. Also the Freemont [sic] Bridge is borderline but I think it makes the cut of being standard.
I believe both were up to Interstate Standards when they were built. Standards since have gotten better.
Edit: I'm not counting the left exits on both bridges, as they were built expressly with respective thru routes in mind. Eastbound US 30 left exits from the Fremont Bridge as it was a left entrance on the otherside; the double deck configuration puts the westbound lanes as a right entrance and a right exit. The westside interchange is a full on Wye; clearance to dip the I-405 N -> US 30 W ramp under the viaduct probably isn't there to also clear the ground level structures and streets.
Arguable violation: Weaving needed for I-405 S -> NW Glisan/Everett/15th; Glisan/Everett/14th -> US 30 W.

I-5 S -> I-405 N was meant to be the US 26 through lanes from unbuilt I-80N. The upper deck is a right entrance and would have been a right exit, with the I-5 S -> I-80N/US 26 E movement similar to the I-405/US 30 Wye. That ghost ramp is still there to marvel at.

QuoteAnd there are no plans to widen the I-82 bridge.
Certainly not from ODOT. I doubt WSDOT is considering it, however.

QuoteAnd can I add I-5 in the Willamette Valley for that ridiculous 65T60 limit? :bigass:
:meh:

Now these are violations:
I-5 Baldock Freeway: Terwilliger Curves
Built as such due to political grandstanding. ODOT has the fix drafted out, but would require nasty ROW acquistion, and be a NIMBY and political fraught battle. Also, expensive.

I-205 Abernathy Bridge. In the pipeline to be addressed with the seismic retrofit accompanying the widening of I-205 from OR 99E to Wanker's Corner Stafford.

I-5 Pacific Hwy: South Salem Hills. Possibly. There's one narrow overpass south of Keubler, and there are truck climbing lanes. I believe ODOT has long range plans to widen the freeway from Keubler down toward Albany at some point.

I-405/US 26: 6th Ave -> 12th Ave. Horrendous weaving that can back up traffic onto the Marquam Bridge, and through the Ross Island Maze. Southbound isn't much better with the Montgomery St onramp interacting with the US 26 W onramp and offramp, though that doesn't get nearly as much use.

I-35/70, Kansas City.

SteveG1988

I-295/76 connection in NJ (currently being fixed)

I-676 (The traffic lights, depending on your view of if 676 actually uses the bridge or not. Or the general narrowness of the death star trench run section)

I-55 crossing between TN and AR on the Memphis-Arkansas Bridge. No shoulders, and that cloverleaf for through traffic on the TN side. AR side is adequate.

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

X99

Quote from: Bickendan on April 01, 2019, 04:53:44 AM
I-5 S -> I-405 N was meant to be the US 26 through lanes from unbuilt I-80N. The upper deck is a right entrance and would have been a right exit, with the I-5 S -> I-80N/US 26 E movement similar to the I-405/US 30 Wye. That ghost ramp is still there to marvel at.
There used to be a Wikipedia page dedicated to ghost ramps and unused roads. It was removed after the definition of "unused" was changed to "never used once in its life" and a second page was made for the rest. Every unused road page except Bridge to Nowhere has been deleted. Might make an interesting thread, but I don't know which board to put it on.
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

SteveG1988

Quote from: X99 on April 01, 2019, 10:57:46 AM
There used to be a Wikipedia page dedicated to ghost ramps and unused roads. It was removed after the definition of "unused" was changed to "never used once in its life" and a second page was made for the rest. Every unused road page except Bridge to Nowhere has been deleted. Might make an interesting thread, but I don't know which board to put it on.

Yeah, i thought that was a bit pedantic to remove it for that, cannot even restore it.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

MCRoads

What about I-74 in the quad cities?

The bridge over the Mississippi R. Is VERY narrow, and DEFINITLY not to standard.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: MCRoads on April 04, 2019, 10:53:43 AM
What about I-74 in the quad cities?

The bridge over the Mississippi R. Is VERY narrow, and DEFINITLY not to standard.

That bridge's replacement is under construction so maybe that's why it was omitted.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Henry

I just thought up another one: I-520! I don't care that it exists in two states, but as a half-loop around Augusta, it needs a more appropriate number like I-420 or I-620.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

X99

Quote from: SteveG1988 on April 01, 2019, 02:48:21 PM

Yeah, i thought that was a bit pedantic to remove it for that, cannot even restore it.
I still have access to one of those pages, but only to move the entries to their respective road pages. I am not allowed to give anyone else access to it.

hotdogPi

Quote from: X99 on April 05, 2019, 08:25:03 PM

I still have access to one of those pages, but only to move the entries to their respective road pages. I am not allowed to give anyone else access to it.

There are no private Wikipedia pages. Even if you are an admin (and therefore are able to see deleted pages), so are Scott5114, Bruce, and seicer.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

X99

Quote from: 1 on April 05, 2019, 08:34:03 PM
Quote from: X99 on April 05, 2019, 08:25:03 PM

There are no private Wikipedia pages. Even if you are an admin (and therefore are able to see deleted pages), so are Scott5114, Bruce, and seicer.
The page I am talking about is currently a child page (if I'm using that term right) of my own user page.

JREwing78

I-94 through Detroit is substandard with no inner shoulder, short on-off ramps. and left entrances/exits. It's one of the few freeways in Michigan posted for 55 mph. Granted, this stretch dates from the late 1940s and early 1950s. MDOT is working to upgrade some portions of the highway: https://i94detroit.org/

Additionally, I-94 between Parma, MI and east of Jackson, MI (Sargent Rd), the ramps are very short, and between US-127 North and Elm Ave there is only a few inches of inner shoulder before you hit the hard barrier. This stretch also dates from the late 1940s and early 1950s.

MDOT has made a number of minor changes over the past 40 years to improve safety (removing exits, installation of center barrier, etc). But they are making their largest effort to bring the stretch up to modern standards with replacement of the bridges over the Grand River, and reconstruction of the highway between US-127 North and US-127 South. https://www.michigan.gov/mdot/0,4616,7-151-9621_11008_86278---,00.html

texaskdog

I 90 has almost direct turns off the freeway in South Dakota....I think they do in Wyoming as well.  Also I-75 just south of the Mackinac Bridge at James Street just has a sharp turn.

X99

Quote from: texaskdog on April 07, 2019, 08:34:44 PM
I 90 has almost direct turns off the freeway in South Dakota.

Which exits are you talking about here?

Avalanchez71

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 26, 2019, 05:52:13 PM
Interstate 68 in Cumberland, Maryland gets my goat. But I don't suppose there's much that can be done about it.
Slow your roll through there.

Ned Weasel

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on October 29, 2020, 06:26:02 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 26, 2019, 05:52:13 PM
Interstate 68 in Cumberland, Maryland gets my goat. But I don't suppose there's much that can be done about it.
Slow your roll through there.

It's a whole 5 MPH faster than the speed limit in Breezewood!  :D
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Buck87 on March 25, 2019, 10:06:08 AM
I-70 in Western PA between the turnpike and I-79

Going back in time:

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on August 11, 2017, 10:12:57 AM
I think I-70 in Pennsylvania between the West Virginia border and Washington is pretty infamous for its abhorrent roadway quality.

Quote from: Bitmapped on August 11, 2017, 10:21:46 AM
That part of I-70 is fine. It's Washington, PA to New Stanton that has issues.

Update on this issue from a post I made on MTR many years ago.  When I lived in Greensburg, I was roadtripping west on I-70 in my relatively new 1985 Pontiac Firebird.  After crossing the Smithton Bridge over the Yough, I encountered a work crew "improving" the pavement quality on the westbound lanes.  The left lane had been tar-and-chipped earlier in the day, and the right lane was closed doing the same thing.  I was behind a semi-truck for the entire zone up to the Speers Bridge over the Mon.  Tried to stay back far enough, but the constant stream of chips literally shredded the paint on the plastic with millions of divots. 

Spin forward.  A colleague at work begged me to let him buy the car in 1995 when we moved out west of Dulles and didn't have a garage to store it.  I asked him to let me know if he ever wanted to sell.  A few years later, I show up to work with a newly purchased (year-old) pickup truck when he comes into my office out-of-the-blue and announces that he is getting transferred to Florida and he apologized since I just bought something else.  But he gives me an offer I couldn't refuse and when I bought it back, it still had all of the divots.  Still have the rust bucket and those divots have long faded away.

I've always wondered who was crazy enough to approve tar-and-chip on the Interstate.

tolbs17

Do these service roads on the interchange violate interstate standards? I feel like they do because they bother the time to increase your speed before merging on the freeway.

You can see these a lot on older freeways that have not been improved when built in the early days.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.5570966,-78.2022868,303m/data=!3m1!1e3

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Dirt Roads on October 29, 2020, 07:02:06 PM

I've always wondered who was crazy enough to approve tar-and-chip on the Interstate.

<New Mexico has entered the chat>
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

MATraveler128

Has I-95 in SW Connecticut been mentioned yet? I've used it off an on to visit my family in Pennsylvania and we try to avoid it if we can. It has very substandard lanes, service plazas on the sides which I believe is prohibited on free Interstates. Of course it was part of the old Connecticut Turnpike, so that can be excused.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

Flint1979

Quote from: texaskdog on April 07, 2019, 08:34:44 PM
I 90 has almost direct turns off the freeway in South Dakota....I think they do in Wyoming as well.  Also I-75 just south of the Mackinac Bridge at James Street just has a sharp turn.
Very small error there. The exit with the sharp turn south of the Mackinac Bridge is Jamet Street.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.