News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

US 67-167 through Jacksonville, AR

Started by capt.ron, December 08, 2011, 01:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capt.ron

It seems like traffic counts continue to climb as more and more people locate to Cabot, Beebe, and other points in between and use the freeway to commute. Anyways, the stretch of freeway through Jacksonville desperately needs to be widened. But there are problems with the main one being... no room! The frontage roads are too close to the freeway so shoehorning a lane on either side will nix the frontage roads. The off / on ramps are extremely short as it stands now. The freeway itself is divided by only a Jersey barrier through town. The freeway shoulders are more narrow in some areas so you get the picture... expansion will be very costly but in the future, it will have to be either widened or the whole freeway to be relocated elsewhere (East of town and boy will that be expensive!  :wow:).
Rush hour traffic is a nightmare and will only get worse as time goes on.
Anybody else here that has driven that stretch [of 67-167] through Jacksonville can probably relate.

bassoon1986

yeah I've only been up there a few times and I remember the exit near the mall being pretty crowded

US71

Part of 67/167 was just widened in 2010, I think. Weren't some of the Frontage roads made one way, like they did on I-30 a few years ago?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Grzrd

Quote from: capt.ron on December 08, 2011, 01:26:13 PM
It seems like traffic counts continue to climb as more and more people locate to Cabot, Beebe, and other points in between and use the freeway to commute. Anyways, the stretch of freeway through Jacksonville desperately needs to be widened.
The half-cent sales tax increase that will be on the ballot in November would help to fund widening between Jacksonville and Cabot:
http://thecabin.net/news/2011-12-24/highway-improvement-advocates-gearing-sales-tax-hike-campaign

"... Scott Bennett, director of the Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department .... said approval of the half-cent sales tax increase would fund ... widening U.S. 67-167 between Jacksonville and Cabot."

I'm not sure if that would actually include widening through Jacksonville.

dariusb

How is traffic along the stretch between Little Rock, Jacksonville and Cabot?
It's a new day for a new beginning.

Pintailkiller

Quote from: dariusb on February 17, 2012, 03:15:32 AM
How is traffic along the stretch between Little Rock, Jacksonville and Cabot?
Awful during peak drive times.  The stretch going through Jville proper is old road that is very rough.
67/167 from I40 to Redmond Rd in south Jville has recently been redone.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.