News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Arkansas highway 11S southwest of Star City

Started by bugo, July 22, 2014, 12:01:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

On the 2014 Arkansas map, there is an AR 11S marker next to current AR 11.  Is AR 11 going to be rerouted once I-530 is opened?  Is it signed that way now?  Or is the marker there in error?

AHTD

Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

bjrush

Any reason they didn't just drop old Highway 11 off the state highway system completely?

Does this route really continue to add economic value to the state?
Woo Pig Sooie

AHTD

This is an EXCELLENT question!

We can't just DROP a stretch of road from the system. It has to be maintained by SOME entity - either the county or local municipality. Arkansas has more than 16,500 centerline miles of highways. The 12th largest in the country.

We are always looking for opportunities to unload mileage from the system. But not many local governments are willing to take on the maintenance. When we do unload a stretch of road, we typically give it a good makeover and turn it over in really good condition. We don't just unload a bad road and expect the locals to fix it.

Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

bjrush

Most states have county roads that are worth a damn. Arkansas does not. Why are the county road departments so underfunded here?

In Arkansas, if it isn't on a state highway, you probably don't have much business being there. County roads seem to only be glorified driveways
Woo Pig Sooie

US71

Quote from: bjrush on July 23, 2014, 02:39:19 PM
Most states have county roads that are worth a damn. Arkansas does not. Why are the county road departments so underfunded here?

In Arkansas, if it isn't on a state highway, you probably don't have much business being there. County roads seem to only be glorified driveways
Not always.  I can think of several, and not just old highway alignments.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Arkansastravelguy

I don't know. I went back roading in Crawford county yesterday and their county roads are pretty funky.

iPhone

US71

Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on July 23, 2014, 09:40:57 PM
I don't know. I went back roading in Crawford county yesterday and their county roads are pretty funky.

iPhone
In places, yes. Crawford is also a fairly rural county

bugo

Polk County roads are awful.  Most of them weren't paved until the '90s.

robbones

Quote from: US71 on July 23, 2014, 11:29:05 PM

iPhone
Warloop Road is a prime example of a county road that you can't travel the entire distance without some sort of 4wd

US71

Quote from: robbones on July 24, 2014, 05:08:12 AM
Quote from: US71 on July 23, 2014, 11:29:05 PM

iPhone
Warloop Road is a prime example of a county road that you can't travel the entire distance without some sort of 4wd
Cartwright Mountain Road looks rough. Yet Georgia Ridge Rd is fully paved.

robbones

Try going out to White Rock via Old Locke Road and Hurricane Creek Road.

US71

Quote from: robbones on July 24, 2014, 09:26:00 AM
Try going out to White Rock via Old Locke Road and Hurricane Creek Road.
Been forever since I've been to White Rock Mountain.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.