News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

removed freeways in North America

Started by NE2, December 14, 2014, 03:24:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

Quote from: lepidopteran on February 10, 2015, 05:58:49 PMHaving said that, I've noticed a tendency for the early, 50's-60's-era toll roads to build a trumpet interchange with the surface road by default, whether the traffic count called for it or not.  Some of those early loop ramps were tight; with today's longer trucks, a signalized intersection might actually be safer, especially in areas where it ices up in the winter.  I suspect there was a "mentality" if you will, at the time, that stopping traffic on surface roads with signals was a no-no when it came to freeway access, which also explains all the full cloverleafs with surface arterials from that era, many of which have recently been converted to parclos to avoid weaving motions.
The likely rationale for such a design approach was probably to avoid left-turn conflicts (potential for head-on collisions) and account for future growth (increased traffic counts).  In short, just because the traffic along the road at a dual-trumpet interchange for a toll road isn't at Level of Service E or F (gridlocked) at present; doesn't mean it won't be 20 years down the road.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

bing101

What about Central Freeway Us-101 it was demolished for re development reasons and quake fears. Central Freeway was supposed to be in close proximity to the Castro and Haight districts. There were maps saying that I-80 was supposed to take the Central freeway or US-40 and US-50 the previous alignments to I-80 in San Francisco.

bing101

Quote from: NE2 on December 14, 2014, 03:24:36 PM
[updated list]

Full closures

Fall River: Route 79 (double decker section)
    Gary: Cline Avenue Bridge
    Milwaukee: Park East Freeway
    New Haven: Oak Street Connector
    New York City: West Side Elevated Highway
    Niagara Falls: Robert Moses State Parkway
    Rochester: Inner Loop
    San Francisco: Central Freeway, Embarcadero Freeway, Southern-Embarcadero Freeway (unopened structure to 3rd Street)
    Toronto: Gardiner Expressway (east of Don Valley Parkway)
    Washington, D.C.: Southeast Freeway

Direct conversions into surface roads (same roadway but intersections added)

Carlsbad: Carlsbad Boulevard (south of CR S12; bypassed by I-5)
    Chattanooga: Riverside Drive
    Minneapolis: County Road 122
    Phoenix: Sky Harbor Expressway (parallel SR 143 handles through traffic)
    Sacramento: West Sacramento Freeway (bypassed by the W-X Freeway)

Horizontal or vertical relocations

Boston: Central Artery
    Fort Worth: I-30
    Oakland: Cypress Street Viaduct
    Oklahoma City: Crosstown Expressway
    Portland: Harbor Drive (closed after parallel I-5 and I-405 were built)
    Providence: Iway project
    Seattle: Alaskan Way Viaduct and Battery Street Tunnel (under construction)

Rural/suburban relocations

Florida: SR 4080, SR 429 (at SR 414)
    Missouri: I-44 (east of Arlington)
    Oklahoma: Will Rogers Turnpike (west of Creek Turnpike)
    Pennsylvania: Abandoned Pennsylvania Turnpike

Cypress freeway was moved to the Port of Oakland when they rebuilt the north end of I-880 in the 1990's. Cypress Freeway used to go through Nelson Mandela blvd. In Oakland prior to 1989.

bing101

There was a Colorado Freeway in Glendale, but that was bypassed by the CA-134 Ventura freeway.

TheStranger

Quote from: bing101 on February 13, 2015, 10:22:45 AM
There was a Colorado Freeway in Glendale, but that was bypassed by the CA-134 Ventura freeway.

And the old Colorado Freeway has not been demolished.

Quote from: bing101Cypress freeway was moved to the Port of Oakland when they rebuilt the north end of I-880 in the 1990's. Cypress Freeway used to go through Nelson Mandela blvd. In Oakland prior to 1989.

The post you quoted already mentions the Cypress viaduct relocation.

Quote from: bing101What about Central Freeway Us-101 it was demolished for re development reasons and quake fears. Central Freeway was supposed to be in close proximity to the Castro and Haight districts.

Already mentioned in the post you quoted, as well.  (And only the segment north of Market Street no longer exists; the portion from Market to I-80 is still in regular use)
Chris Sampang

vtk

Quote from: NE2 on February 12, 2015, 01:22:24 PM
Quote from: Laura on February 12, 2015, 05:48:12 AM
Another rural/suburban relocation: I-70 in Maryland between exits 56 and 59. The old I-70 alignment is now part of MD 144.

iPhone

This was never a full freeway.

PS: what's with the 1pt iPhone text? I've seen it on multiple people's posts.

That's because too many Tapatalk users never bothered to turn off the setting that adds "Sent from..."  to the bottom of every post, so the mods use the profanity filter to turn the common parts into formatting tags that make the variable part nearly invisible.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

TXtoNJ

Quote from: NE2 on February 13, 2015, 12:04:58 AM
Quote from: TXtoNJ on February 12, 2015, 11:47:42 PM
That was more so that they only had to build and maintain one toll plaza per interchange. Back when all tollbooths had human collectors, this would significantly reduce operating costs.
No, what he's saying is that the intersection with the surface road was often a trumpet rather than an at-grade.

Ah. Then as later stated, it was likely in anticipation of higher traffic counts, along with a desire to keep from backing up traffic at the toll plazas.

Bickendan

Quote from: vtk on February 13, 2015, 12:18:39 PM
Quote from: NE2 on February 12, 2015, 01:22:24 PM
Quote from: Laura on February 12, 2015, 05:48:12 AM
Another rural/suburban relocation: I-70 in Maryland between exits 56 and 59. The old I-70 alignment is now part of MD 144.

iPhone

This was never a full freeway.

PS: what's with the 1pt iPhone text? I've seen it on multiple people's posts.

That's because too many Tapatalk users never bothered to turn off the setting that adds "Sent from..."  to the bottom of every post, so the mods use the profanity filter to turn the common parts into formatting tags that make the variable part nearly invisible.
A couple users at WordForge mock Tapatalk users by adding ' phone while driving' to the end of their posts :lol:

NE2

Quote from: Bickendan on February 13, 2015, 06:11:51 PM
A couple users at WordForge mock Tapatalk users by adding ' phone while driving' to the end of their posts :lol:
Owned by filter.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Bickendan

Quote from: NE2 on February 13, 2015, 06:12:28 PM
Quote from: Bickendan on February 13, 2015, 06:11:51 PM
Owned by filter.
LMAO!

..."by adding 'S. F. my phone while driving' to the end of their posts"  :bigass:

bugo

Quote from: TheStranger on February 13, 2015, 12:08:54 PM

What is the Colorado Freeway called today?

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

TheStranger

Quote from: bugo on February 20, 2015, 07:58:22 AM

This doesn't quite answer the question, but at least shows the route still in existence.  It's basically is as it always was - a short offramp connector (which manages to have two exits eastbound!)

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Colorado+St,+Glendale,+CA+91204/@34.1423328,-118.2719722,809m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x80c2c0f43119fa85:0x78d2aa78cc575326
Chris Sampang

sdmichael

Quote from: bugo on February 20, 2015, 07:58:22 AM

Photos of the old and what is left are here http://www.socalregion.com/highways/socal_unsigned/colorado_fwy/.

bugo

Duke87

Quote from: vdeane on February 08, 2015, 03:47:04 PM
I think it's amazing how fast freeway removals move.  many of them are so fast that state DOT isn't prepared for it and might even do work to maintain the about to be removed freeway.  With CT 34, obviously ConnDOT didn't know that removal was coming, because there's no need for a flyover like the one they built for a surface street.

It's a question of who's calling what shots. Removing the Oak Street Connector was something the city of New Haven came up with and started clamoring for. ConnDOT wasn't planning for it to happen because it wasn't their idea. So ConnDOT only knew about it once they started getting leaned on to make it happen, it was never in any long range plans and therefore was not considered in any projects prior to it.

As for how fast it moves, well, yeah, it's amazing how fast construction moves when environmental groups favor it and no one tries to sue to stop it.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

froggie

QuoteAs for how fast it moves, well, yeah, it's amazing how fast construction moves when environmental groups favor it and no one tries to sue to stop it.

Add "and when there are no NIMBY's" and it's just as apt...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.