News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

TRIVIA NIGHT results and host registration

Started by Alps, December 07, 2012, 09:23:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Is there a route log that backs up that assertion?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

froggie

^ No.  But at the same time, the latest MassDOT road inventory GIS files (end of 2018) don't even call the Sumner Tunnel part of MA 1A.

Unfortunately, the road inventory files only show the primary route along a concurrency.

Rothman

Ok, but to me that means that the idea that 1A runs along I-90 is incorrect.

Just sounds like MassDOT doesn't know where 1A goes, or just assumes the ramps to and from the tunnels are good enough for 1A to hit US 1 and I-93.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

US 89

Quote from: US 89 on October 22, 2019, 02:39:05 PM
This is the same night as a potential game 7 of the World Series would be - let's hope whoever wins that can do it in 6 games or less

Well, game 7 is happening...looks like I will be multitasking tomorrow night.

cl94

As a reminder, trivia is tonight. I'll try and push out questions during World Series commercial breaks and dull moments so that we can watch the game at the same time.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

cl94

Results from tonight:

SCORES:
NE2: 23
Duke87: 22
US_89: 19
Alps: 19
Henry: 13
MNHighwayMan: 9
Formulanone: 9
SSOWorld: 6

As far as the questions:

1   Utah   This state route serves Bryce Canyon National Park   SR 63
2   Massachusetts   The old sign for the highest point on the Mass Pike mentioned the first town in South Dakota where Interstate 90 is higher if heading WB. What was this town?   Oacoma, SD
3   United Kingdom   This is the designation for the Manchester beltway   M60
4   South Carolina   This bypass of Myrtle Beach is proposed to become part of Interstate 74   SC 31 (Carolina Bays Parkway)
5   New Hampshire   Closest guess: How many state routes in NH touch both the Vermont and Maine borders?   4 (NH 9, 11, 25, 26)
6   New Jersey   This is the longest county route in New Jersey   CR 519
7   Mississippi   The Natchez Trace Parkway crosses into Mississippi just northeast of this state park   Tishomingo State Park
8   Pennsylvania   This is the SR designation for PA 283   SR 0300
9   Connecticut   Closest guess: Unsigned SSR 434 is the longest unsigned state-maintained road in Connecticut at 10.13 miles. How many signed CT state routes are SHORTER?   115
10   Texas   I-69W will have its southern end in which Texas city?   Laredo
11   Delaware   This Delaware state route was entirely replaced by US 9 when that route was extended to Delaware via the Cape May - Lewes Ferry   DE 28
12   Alaska   This city's only road connection to the rest of Alaska is via a shared road/rail tunnel   Whittier, Alaska
13   Rhode Island   This route crosses the Mount Hope Bridge onto Aquidneck Island   RI 114
14   The Dakotas   A park entrance fee is required to drive part of this state route through Custer State Park   SD 87
15   Arkansas   Normally, ArDOT does not recognize concurrencies. What is the term used by ArDOT in route logs when a concurrency occurs?   Exception
16   Indiana   Closest guess: How many miles of roadway is INDOT allowed to maintain under its mileage cap?   12,000 miles
17   Oregon   The Oswego Highway No. 3 carries which Oregon state route?   OR 43
18   Alabama   Closest guess: This is the lowest whole mile marker on the Talladega Scenic Drive (AL 281)   471 (highest is 497)
19   Iowa   This was the first numbered "county route" in Iowa to not follow the alphanumeric numbering system since that system was introduced   CR 105
20   West Virginia   This US Highway runs the length of Corridor G within West Virginia   US 119
21   Maine   This is the easternmost signed, numbered route on the United States mainland   ME 189
22   Ohio   Closest guess: How many public, drivable covered bridges exist in Ashtabula County, Ohio?   17
23   Kentucky   This state route number is assigned to the Cincinnati - Northern Kentucky International Airport access road   KY 212
24   Kansas   How many Kansas state routes touch Colorado?   2 (KS 51 and 96)
25   Maryland   One segment of this Maryland state highway near Cumberland is contained entirely within a Best Western parking lot   MD 949 (segment is MD 949A)
26   California   The interchange between I-5 and SR 14 is located at this low mountain pass   Newhall Pass
27   Oklahoma   This is the only state route in Oklahoma to pass through a community that does not observe Central Time   SR 325 (Kenton)
28   Michigan   The future bridge connecting Detroit with Windsor, Ontario is to be named after this hockey star   Gordie Howe
29   Québec   This will be the designation of A-720 once the Turcot Interchange reconstruction is complete   QC 136
30   Virginia   VA 286, applied to the road in 2012, is better known by this name      Fairfax County Parkway
31   New Mexico   This state route leads to the summit of Sandia Crest   NM 536
32   Australia   This road circumnavigates Australian mainland   Highway 1
33   Minnesota   This suburban Minneapolis route is known as the Crosstown Highway   TH 62
34   Arizona   Closest guess: How many times does AZ 264 cross the boundary between the Navajo and Hopi Reservations   5 (two are a Navajo exclave in the main Hopi territory)
35   Washington   US 2 crosses the Cascade Range at this mountain pass      Stevens Pass
36   Wyoming   This route contains the highest bridge (in elevation) in the state of Wyoming   WYO 296
37   Tennessee   Which tunnel passes (nearly) below the tripoint of Kentucky, Tennessee, and Virginia?   Cumberland Gap Tunnel (US 25E)
38   Illinois   Which CTA elevated rail line runs in the median of the Dan Ryan Expressway?    Red Line
39   Georgia   This is the unsigned state route designation for I-85 in Georgia   SR 403
40   Montana   The entrance to the National Bison Range is located along which Montana route?   S-212
41   Hawaii   This is the only county in Hawaii to contain no numbered state routes   Kalawao County
42   Idaho   This is the only paved road inside Idaho that links the panhandle with the rest of the state   US 95
43   Louisiana   The unbuilt Vieux Carré Expressway through the French Quarter was to recieve this Interstate designation   I-310
44   North Carolina   What street in Durham, NC has the infamous 11'8" (now 12'4") bridge?     Gregson Street
45   Nevada   The Winnemucca To The Sea Highway is the common name for which route?   NV 140
46   Florida   SR 10 is the unsigned designation for which US route?   US 90
47   Colorado   Colorado is known for its "Mile 419.9" signs. How many routes (including Interstates) are long enough to have one of these signs?   5 (I-70, US 6, US 40, US 50, US 160)
48   New York   NY 401 is a former designation for this interstate highway   I-390
49   Nationwide   How many counties in the 48 contiguous United States are not accessible by road from the rest of the country?   3 (Dukes and Nantucket, MA; San Juan, WA)
50   Nationwide   The first HOV lane in the United States was located in this state   Virginia (I-95)
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: cl94 on October 30, 2019, 10:02:57 PM
Results from tonight:

SCORES:

My score should be 10, but thanks SSOWorld!  :-/

Alps

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on October 30, 2019, 10:24:55 PM
Quote from: cl94 on October 30, 2019, 10:02:57 PM
Results from tonight:

SCORES:

My score should be 10, but thanks SSOWorld!  :-/
Mine should be 20, by that logic. Or 21 if I had been able to read and answer the 25E question (thanks, Chrome).

Duke87

The next trivia night will be held Wednesday, January 8th at 8:15 PM EST (that's 6:15 PM MST).

This will follow the same format as the last trivia night, where everyone will privately message their answers to the host.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Duke87

Tonight's results:
cl94: 23
Alps: 17
Bruce: 17
US 89: 16
usends: 8
RoadPelican: 6
corco: 6
SSOWorld: 1

Questions:
1 FLORIDA: What government agency in Florida operates toll roads that accept E-ZPass? Central Florida Expressway Authority (CFX)
2 VERMONT: What state route is the Cabot Creamery located on? VT 215
3 KENTUCKY: What is the name (not number) of the ring road around Lexington? New Circle Road
4 KANSAS: Closest Guess: what is the last mile marker on I-70 that is posted using Kansas Turnpike mileage, before I-70 mileage resumes? 226.2
5 NORTH DAKOTA: North Dakota does not use the word "fine" to describe a monetary penalty for violating traffic laws. What word do they use instead? "Fee"
6 ALASKA: An isolated section of AK 10 has seen local residents repeatedly and deliberately removing state highway shields from the road in order to protest plans to complete it. What town are the protesting residents from? Cordova
7 ITALY: What is the numerical designation for the Autostrada del Sole? A1
8 WISCONSIN: Where in Wisconsin is the infamous intersection of CTH P and CTH OO located? (either the county name or the nearest population center is acceptable) Chippewa County (also acceptable answers: Lake Hallie, Chippewa Falls, Eau Claire)
9 ILLINOIS: What was I-88 designated as immediately prior to becoming an interstate? IL 5
10 NEW YORK: What is the highest numbered street in New York City? 271 St
11 PENNSYLVANIA: What route in Pennsylvania has a bannered truck route that cars are legally prohibited from using? US 219
12 NEBRASKA: What Nebraska state route is Carhenge located on? NE 87
13 NORTH CAROLINA: What North Carolina state route has a section that is closed to the general public where it crosses a military base? NC 172
14 WYOMING: Closest Guess: How many other numbered routes does WY 789 have concurrencies with? 11 (I-80, I-80 BL, US 30, US 30Bus, US 287, US 26, US 20, US 16, US 14, US 310, US14A)
15 OHIO: The band that performed the theme song to the Inspector Gadget movie takes its name from its hometown in Ohio. What 3-digit interstate serves this town? I-680 (the name of the band is Youngstown)
16 NEW MEXICO: What road connects Roswell to Santa Fe? US 285
17 ICELAND: If you see a sign in Iceland that says "Malbik Endar", what is this warning you of? Pavement Ends
18 OKLAHOMA: What Oklahoma Turnpike has a section that is ceremonially named the "Liberty Parkway"? Creek Turnpike (also acceptable answer: OK 364)
19 LOUISIANA: What Louisiana state route comes closest to the mouth of the Mississippi River? LA 23
20 CONNECTICUT: In the 1980s the state of Connecticut moved to remove all tolls from the state's highways following a major crash at a toll barrier. In what town did this crash occur? Stratford
21 TEXAS: What is the one Texas state highway to have a designation consisting entirely of letters rather than numbers? TX OSR
22 PUERTO RICO: How many interstate highways are in Puerto Rico? 3
23 WASHINGTON: What town in Washington welcomes drivers arriving in it to "Come As You Are"? Aberdeen
24 CANADA: Closest Guess: How many times does the Alaska Highway cross the border between British Columbia and Yukon? 9
25 UNITED STATES: What east-west US highway crosses the continental divide three times? US40
---halftime---
26 MINNESOTA: What still active route in Minnesota ends at a closed Port of Entry on the Canadian Border? US 75
27 JAPAN: What record-setting bridge does route E28 cross? Akashi-Kaikyo Bridge
28 MISSISSIPPI: What town in Mississippi was formerly home to the infamous STOP-DEATH-STOP neon railroad crossing signal? Grenada
29 MISSOURI: The double decked section of I-229 in St Joseph, MO is occasionally discussed in roadgeek circles. What other highway in Missouri has a double decked section where one direction runs above the other? I-64
30 INDIANA: What is the only Indiana state highway that ends at the state's eastern border and enters Michigan? IN 120
31 MAINE: What town in Maine is home to no fewer than three active road crossings of the Canadian border? Calais
32 VIRGIN ISLANDS: What USVI territorial route leads to the easternmost point in the United States by direction of travel? VI 82
33 IOWA: What town in Iowa features a toll bridge privately owned by BNSF railway? Fort Madison
34 CALIFORNIA: Closest Guess: What is the exit number for the Zzyzx Road interchange on I-15? 239
35 MASSACHUSETTS: What Massachusetts state route has an erroneous county pentagon sign? MA 27
36 ARKANSAS: What Arkansas state route shares a concurrency with an Oklahoma state route? AR 43
37 BRAZIL: In what Brazillian city are the Rodovia dos Imigrantes and the Rodovia Anchieta located? São Paulo
38 GEORGIA: What is the numerical designation for the Bobby Jones Expressway? I-520
39 ARIZONA: If you are standing on the corner of 2nd Street and Kinsley Avenue, what city are you in? Winslow
40 DELAWARE: What two numbered routes does the Puncheon Run Connector connect? US 13 and DE 1
41 OREGON: What is the name of the cancelled freeway that was originally intended to carry I-80N (I-84) into downtown Portland? Mount Hood Highway
42 MONTANA: What does the state of Montana do with speed limits that no other state currently does as a statewide standard treatment? Post lower nighttime speed limits
43 NEW HAMPSHIRE: What road in New Hampshire features a location where one can shunpike a toll by getting off and then back on at the same interchange? F.E. Everett Turnpike
44 SOUTH DAKOTA: Closest Guess: what is the exit number off which Wall Drug is located? 110
45 VIRGINIA: What road features a tunnel under Colonial Williamsburg? Colonial National Historic Parkway
46 UTAH: What Utah state highway has a grade-separated set of commuter lanes approaching I-15? UT 92
47 AUSTRALIA: what Australian road features a section that is completely straight for 90 miles? N1/Eyre Highway
48 NEVADA: What is the name of the main road through the Las Vegas Strip? South Las Vegas Blvd
49 CANADA: What is the numerical route designation for the road to Tuktoyaktuk? NT 10
50 UNITED STATES: What does the MUTCD refer to mile markers as? Reference location signs
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

US 89

The next AARoads Trivia Night will be Wednesday, February 19 at 6:30 PM MST. Mark your calendars.

Alps

Quote from: US 89 on January 12, 2020, 09:42:43 PM
The next AARoads Trivia Night will be Wednesday, February 19 at 6:30 PM MST. Mark your calendars.
Can we have that in real people time?

paulthemapguy

Quote from: Alps on January 12, 2020, 09:44:00 PM

To be clear, MST stands for Mountain Standard Time, not Mythical Standard Time.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

csw

Lol, literally just add 2 hours.

Alps

Quote from: csw on January 12, 2020, 10:56:04 PM

He should just post it in the correct time zone.

US 89

Quote from: Alps on January 12, 2020, 11:29:01 PM

I did. I observe the official time zone of chat, which is where this event will take place.

Alps

Quote from: US 89 on January 12, 2020, 11:30:43 PM
Quote from: Alps on January 12, 2020, 11:29:01 PM
The next AARoads Trivia Night will be Wednesday, February 19 at 8:30 PM EST. Mark your calendars.

I did. I observe the official time zone of chat, which is where this event will take place.
Are you referring to the time zone the admins live in, which is generally Eastern or Central?

csw

Looks like we've got a case of...time zone privilege! Where's NE2?

cl94

Mountain Time is the official time zone of chat. We decided that when you were boycotting the chatroom, Alps.

Alps

Quote from: cl94 on January 13, 2020, 12:33:49 PM
Mountain Time is the official time zone of chat. We decided that when you were boycotting the chatroom, Alps.
The official time zone of whatever chat room isn't hosted by AARoads can be whatever you want it to be. You are not AARoads.

Dougtone

Quote from: paulthemapguy on January 12, 2020, 10:15:19 PM

To be clear, MST stands for Mountain Standard Time, not Mythical Standard Time.

I read MST as Mystery Science Theater, as in Mystery Science Theater 3000.

Alternatively, MST also stands for the Portuguese language abbreviation for Brazil's Landless Workers Movement, Movimento dos Trabalhadores Rurais Sem Terra (MST).

See, there are more important things that MST stands for, besides squabbling over time zones.

jakeroot

Quote from: Alps on January 13, 2020, 05:44:19 PM
Quote from: cl94 on January 13, 2020, 12:33:49 PM
The official time zone of whatever chat room isn't hosted by AARoads can be whatever you want it to be. You are not AARoads.

As long as we're allowed to change forum settings to our own time zones, how can there be any sort official time zone?

Mine's set to Pacific/24 hr, so the above time (6:30 PM MST) is doubly worthless. But I would need to convert from EST as well.

hotdogPi

But we need it to be light out during trivia time. Think of the children!
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

New Rule!
All time postings will be in Magyar Standard Time!
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

US 89

As a reminder, in order to celebrate the life of the AARoads Chatroom as we know it, there will be one last trivia night this Wednesday night (time is above). It will follow the same general format as the previous two trivia nights, but with a few minor adjustments of my own.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.