News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The future of EVs is not lithium-ion batteries but solid-state

Started by skluth, June 24, 2023, 11:22:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Quote from: SP Cook on June 27, 2023, 01:57:55 PM
The purpose of science is to discover what is true.  Not to invent what society wishes to be true. 

Yeah, that's the purpose of capitalism, isn't it? To invent that which there's a demand for? Why do you hate the free market, SP Cook?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 27, 2023, 08:45:46 PM
Why do you hate the free market, SP Cook?

I can actually see the sarcasm dripping from that sentence on my computer monitor.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

vdeane

Quote from: triplemultiplex on June 27, 2023, 01:01:45 PM
Quote from: vdeane on June 24, 2023, 05:12:08 PM
I feel like the battery industry has been talking about these and other new energy storage technologies for 25 years with nothing to show for it, so I think I'll believe it when I see it.  Would be nice, though.

It's all about incremental advancement, much like a lot of other technologies.  Batteries keep getting better and better, but bit by bit, not by tremendous leaps.  Yeah it would be great to skip a few rounds of incremental improvement with some kind of breakthrough. It's way sexier and we're primed to expect that kind of thing thanks to other industries.  But that ain't how it works.  Just look at solar.  It's waayyy more efficient than it was 30 years ago.  But no one thing leaped us to where we are at.  It was improvements built upon improvements built upon improvements... At any one time it feels like we're just treading water, but looking back, we've come a helluva long way.

That's the way this EV transition is going to go.  We're impatient for the one new battery thing that's gonna instantly make it easy to replace most ICE use cases.  But that's not the way it's going to work.  Each model year will get a little better than the last until it's 20 years later and we're like, damn, these things are waaaayyy better than those shitboxes we had to settle for in the '20s.
Sure, we've had incremental advances, but not the revolutionary ones that have been talked about for 20+ years.  I remember 20 years ago hearing on a podcast about how they were working on some type of capacitor that was going to replace batteries and allow laptops to charge really fast and last all day on a single charge.  Did it happen?  No.  Does it sound just like what they're talking about now with solid state?  Yes.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

abefroman329

Quote from: SP Cook on June 27, 2023, 02:26:42 PMThen cure cancer.
You can't "cure cancer" because there is no single "cancer," there are a whole lot of different forms of cancer.

You are correct that there will, in all likelihood, never be a pill you can take that will inoculate you from every form of cancer.  But to say that any given cancer diagnosis is the same death sentence it was 40 years ago is simply absurd.

kalvado

Quote from: abefroman329 on June 28, 2023, 10:08:37 AM
You can't "cure cancer" because there is no single "cancer," there are a whole lot of different forms of cancer.

You are correct that there will, in all likelihood, never be a pill you can take that will inoculate you from every form of cancer.  But to say that any given cancer diagnosis is the same death sentence it was 40 years ago is simply absurd.
My biochemist friends used to say is the only way to avoid cancer is to die before it happened.
With that, currently 40% of population get cancer at some point of life, but only 20% of deaths are from cancer.  Later number includes those with long remissions...

LilianaUwU

Quote from: SectorZ on June 27, 2023, 07:11:28 PM
Quote from: LilianaUwU on June 27, 2023, 04:48:54 PM
Quote from: SectorZ on June 27, 2023, 04:05:27 PM
- Invent a time machine from what? Incremental progress in science would dictate that some sort of proto-time machine already exists to move onto an actual time machine. Asking someone to invent something when its not an engineering hurdle, but a physics hurdle, is a big ask.
I come from the year 2034, AMA.

How bad was 2034 that you wanted to come back to 2023?
The incoming bus strike (starting July 1st, 2023) where I live went on for so long it caused the apocalypse. I wanted to live the days where the world wasn't ending.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

vdeane

Quote from: abefroman329 on June 28, 2023, 10:08:37 AM

Not to mention that cancer happens all the time, and our immune system normally takes care of it (assuming the tumor doesn't starve itself before it mutates the ability to get blood vessels to service it).  What we think of as "cancer" is when it mutates in a way that makes it so the immune system can't solve the problem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoJwt9l-XhQ
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Road Hog

I used to read Sears catalogues as a kid and would achieve "solid state." Not necessarily because of the electronic items that were advertised as "solid state" at the time.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.