News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

In-&-Back Routes (between states, counties, etc.)

Started by golden eagle, October 14, 2009, 12:41:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

Chris:  we did...a month ago.  With plenty of other examples...

Dougtone

Quote from: PAHighways on November 29, 2009, 10:11:29 PM
Quote from: xonhulu on November 29, 2009, 07:02:50 PMDoesn't I-86/NY 17 briefly enter PA?

Yes, but it is maintained by NYSDOT and NYSP has jurisdiction.

And of course, that stretch of NY 17/future I-86 has an exit in PA, for US 220.  US 220's entry, or not, depending on how you look at it, is another topic all together.  NY 17 didn't always dip into PA in Sayre/South Waverly.  It has been the case only since the Southern Tier Expressway was built.

Yes, I do have pictures, but I will eventually get to uploading that.  Please be patient.

Dougtone

Quote from: froggie on November 30, 2009, 07:51:09 AM
Chris:  we did...a month ago.  With plenty of other examples...

Slightly different, the other thread was about counties.

Dougtone

Quote from: PennDOTFan on November 29, 2009, 07:26:27 PM
Well, there is an interesting case of Maine route 113. It briefly enters New Hampshire, twice! And it is even signed as ME 113 in NH! What is more bizarre is that there is even a spur off of ME 113 in NH, that is NH 113B. Odd occurance of a Maine route's spur being a NH route.t

There is also MD/DE 54 that straddles along the DE/MD border on the southern part of DE.

NH 153 also briefly dips into Maine, and even includes a shield for what looks like ME 153.  ME 153, however, is much further north and east, near Dover-Foxcroft.

NH 153 photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dougtone/sets/72157622897327874/

And since ME 113 was brought up, I do have a few photo examples of the route during its course in New Hampshire.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dougtone/sets/72157622682569935/

froggie

QuoteSlightly different, the other thread was about counties.

But could have easily been about states as well, and some state examples were also included.

SSOWorld

A good point - the two topics essentially follow the same subjects.  I merged the county one in with this one.

TH 23 in Minnesota briefly crosses into Wisconsin - though the layman wouldn't know it because it isn't marked.

Around Iron Mountain - US 2 and 141 cross from Michigan into Wisconsin, then back into Michigan - then 141 crosses back into Wisconsin again.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Brandon

In and out of counties?

I-355 in Illinois starts in Will County, enters Cook County at 135th Street, re-enters Will County on the Des Plains River Bridge (but not the county line is not marked there), and finally enters DuPage County at 87th Street (between Boughton Road and the toll plaza).

Then there's US-30.  US-30 goes from Kendall County near Aurora into Kane County, and then becomes the county line road.  The westbound lanes are thus: Kendall > Kane, and the eastbound lanes are thus: Kane > Kendall > Kane > Kendall.

I-290 starts and ends in Cook County but has a stint in DuPage County between Devon Avenue and the Tri-State Tollway.  It also has the bizarreness of having 1/3-2/5 of the St. Charles Road interchange being in Cook County while the interstate is in DuPage County.

The Elgin-O'Hare (aka Neither Elgin nor O'Hare) Expressway starts in DuPage County at US-20, crosses into Cook County for most of its exits and length, and ends at IL-53 in DuPage County.

And let's not forget I-94, US-12, and US-41 going from Lake County to Cook County to Lake County, Indiana. :D
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

SSOWorld

Yes, but US141 in particular crosses back and forth 4 times before settling on Wisconsin.
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

hbelkins

Quote from: dougtone on November 30, 2009, 07:58:44 AM

And of course, that stretch of NY 17/future I-86 has an exit in PA, for US 220.  US 220's entry, or not, depending on how you look at it, is another topic all together.  NY 17 didn't always dip into PA in Sayre/South Waverly.  It has been the case only since the Southern Tier Expressway was built.

Yes, I do have pictures, but I will eventually get to uploading that.  Please be patient.

In the meantime, here are mine...

http://www.millenniumhwy.net/2009_Milford_PA_Day_2/index2.html

Scroll about halfway down the page to see the sequence of signs as NY 17 enters PA, intersects US 220, then re-enters NY.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Duke87

NY 120A dips into Connecticut twice. And for the more southerly of the two, it spends a fair amount of distance right on top of the state line, including the Hutch/Merritt interchnage.

This is also right in the same area as I-684 clipping the northwest corner of Greenwich (only place in the country where an interstate enters a state but lacks an interchange in it).

In addition, there is an area in the northwestern corner of the next town over (Stamford) that can only be reached from the rest of town by driving through Greenwich or New York. The road leading there through Greenwich is actually maintained by the city of Stamford:

So, the town of Greenwich is actually encroached upon from all three sides it can be (Long Island Sound precludes any potential encroachment from the fourth). Conclusion? The weight of the gold from all those hedge funds is exerting a gravitational pull on the surrounding road networks. :-D
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

City

Quote from: Duke87 on December 01, 2009, 01:07:26 AM
This is also right in the same area as I-684 clipping the northwest corner of Greenwich (only place in the country where an interstate enters a state but lacks an interchange in it).

That is not true. Interstate 95/495 crosses into the most southerly tip of DC on the Woodrow Wilson Bridge, and obviously there are no exits (unless one doesn't count federal territories in the list).

Duke87

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Raise your what?

florida

Quote from: HighwayMaster on December 06, 2009, 01:14:55 PM
Quote from: City on December 03, 2009, 09:45:23 PM
Quote from: Duke87 on December 01, 2009, 01:07:26 AM

That is not true. Interstate 95/495 crosses into the most southerly tip of DC on the Woodrow Wilson Bridge, and obviously there are no exits (unless one doesn't count federal territories in the list).

Also, I-76 enters Nebraska but there is no interchange in the Cornhusker State besides at I-80.

You just contradicted yourself  ;-)
So many roads...so little time.

njroadhorse

I don't know if its been mentioned yet, but Virginia has VA 311 and VA 259 that both enter West Virginia and reenter Virginia.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

froggie

roadfro

A couple Nevada examples exist:

* SR 447 is almost entirely in Washoe County, with a large stretch paralleling its eastern border with Humboldt County. South of Empire, the route jogs east into Humboldt County for about 10 miles, although this section is mileposted as being in Washoe County (the county line may not even be marked on signs).

* SR 361 starts in Mineral County, then crosses into Nye County and the town of Gabbs. North of the town, the route briefly enters Mineral County again before entering Churchill County.  The northern Mineral County section is only about 2.5 miles and is mileposted as being part of Nye County, although the county line is marked on signs.

* US 95 travels 107 miles through Nye County, then 44 miles in Esmeralda County.  Approaching the town of Tonopah, US 95 enters Nye County again (Tonopah is the county seat). The route picks up US 6 and heads north/west out of town, just to enter Esmeralda County again and travel another 40+ miles until reaching Mineral County.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

xonhulu

US 26 heading west of Portland OR leaves Washington Co to briefly enter Columbia County, followed by an even more brief return to Washington Co, then a few miles in Tillamook Co, before finally entering Clatsop Co.  I don't believe there are any major road junctions in this stretch, but there is a State Forest trailhead for the Four County Trail, where a path leads to a marker where those four counties meet: Oregon's version of the Four Corners.  Probably no big deal in other states where this happens all over the place, but it's unique in Oregon.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.