News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

gas stations

Started by Chris, August 23, 2009, 04:15:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

I have heard some stories about gas stations in the US. Is it true that most of them do not have self-service, but that some employee of the gas station fills up for you? Because this is very uncommon in Europe, where virtually all gas stations are self-service or even automated where you pay at a machine. (no staff).

Also interesting is the price difference between cash payments, and payments with a credit card. We don't have that either in Euroland, it's all the same, whether you pay with cash, debit card or credit card.

Another interesting observation is that along freeways, gas stations are almost always located off the freeway, near an exit. In Europe, those are nearly always directly along freeways. Germany has both, a network of freeway gas stations + off freeway "Autohof" which are truckstops. But trucks can fuel up directly along freeways too. Scandinavia often has gas stations like in the U.S.; located near an exit (usually with additional services like a garage, shopping etc.)

The last question is, do all gas stations also sell diesel? Or do you need to go to a truckstop for that? I figured that diesel isn't very popular in the U.S., and some gas station may not offer it.

BigMattFromTexas

QuoteI have heard some stories about gas stations in the US. Is it true that most of them do not have self-service, but that some employee of the gas station fills up for you? Because this is very uncommon in Europe, where virtually all gas stations are self-service or even automated where you pay at a machine. (no staff).
Maybe some states but full-service in Texas in rare
QuoteAlso interesting is the price difference between cash payments, and payments with a credit card. We don't have that either in Euroland, it's all the same, whether you pay with cash, debit card or credit card.
Yeah on I-20 in North Texas there's a Love's Country Store with a huge electronic sign that goes back and forth from Cash to Credit

QuoteAnother interesting observation is that along freeways, gas stations are almost always located off the freeway, near an exit. In Europe, those are nearly always directly along freeways. Germany has both, a network of freeway gas stations + off freeway "Autohof" which are truckstops. But trucks can fuel up directly along freeways too. Scandinavia often has gas stations like in the U.S.; located near an exit (usually with additional services like a garage, shopping etc.)
Yep on divided highways there off the highway at the corner of the frontage road and the road that goes over the highway
quote]
QuoteThe last question is, do all gas stations also sell diesel? Or do you need to go to a truckstop for that? I figured that diesel isn't very popular in the U.S., and some gas station may not offer it.
Most in Texas do.

agentsteel53

gas stations are always at an exit in the US.  You take the exit, and at the crossing street are the services.  Gas, fast food, motel, etc.

the only exception to this is on toll roads, which have explicit service plazas.  From there, you can only return to the toll road, as opposed to getting off.  There are no tollbooths to pay the toll on.  These service plazas have a visitor's center, gas stations, fast food, but no motels.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

PAHighways

Quote from: Chris on August 23, 2009, 04:15:19 PMI have heard some stories about gas stations in the US. Is it true that most of them do not have self-service, but that some employee of the gas station fills up for you? Because this is very uncommon in Europe, where virtually all gas stations are self-service or even automated where you pay at a machine. (no staff).

Oregon and New Jersey are the only states that I know of where self-serve is prohibited.  Everywhere else it varies by station, with some providing "mini-serve" where part is self and other is full.

Quote from: Chris on August 23, 2009, 04:15:19 PMAlso interesting is the price difference between cash payments, and payments with a credit card. We don't have that either in Euroland, it's all the same, whether you pay with cash, debit card or credit card.

I have found very few stations near me that provide a discount for cash, and the ones that do are usually "mom and pop" stations.  The branded stations like BP, Exxon, Sheetz, GetGo, Shell, etc. have no such disparity.

Quote from: Chris on August 23, 2009, 04:15:19 PMAnother interesting observation is that along freeways, gas stations are almost always located off the freeway, near an exit. In Europe, those are nearly always directly along freeways. Germany has both, a network of freeway gas stations + off freeway "Autohof" which are truckstops. But trucks can fuel up directly along freeways too. Scandinavia often has gas stations like in the U.S.; located near an exit (usually with additional services like a garage, shopping etc.)

The only places where you'll find service plazas on limited-access roadways are the Pennsylvania Turnpike, New Jersey Turnpike, New York State Thruway, etc.

Quote from: Chris on August 23, 2009, 04:15:19 PMThe last question is, do all gas stations also sell diesel? Or do you need to go to a truckstop for that? I figured that diesel isn't very popular in the U.S., and some gas station may not offer it.

No.  The stations that do usually have a sign or indicate the price on the board near the road with the other grades, but the best location to find diesel is a truck stop.

agentsteel53

I hardly ever see full-serve these days, though gas stations in several states do have a sticker on the pump that says "if you are disabled, please push this button and an attendant will pump the gas for you for free". 

as for Oregon and New Jersey - it's always a hassle to attempt to pump my own gas, but usually I'm successful.

jake@aaroads.com

roadfro

Quote from: Chris on August 23, 2009, 04:15:19 PM
I have heard some stories about gas stations in the US. Is it true that most of them do not have self-service, but that some employee of the gas station fills up for you? Because this is very uncommon in Europe, where virtually all gas stations are self-service or even automated where you pay at a machine. (no staff).

As mentioned previously, gas stations in Oregon and New Jersey have attendants that pump gas for you, which is required according to their state laws.  In my experience, most gas stations are primarily self-serve.  Full-service seems to have largely gone by the wayside, in a similar trend of having minor auto repair shops incorporated in gas station/convenience store establishments.

There are comparatively few public locations that are completely automatic with no attendant or adjacent convenience store present.  Most of the ones that are automatic are generally associated warehouse stores (such as Costco or Sam's Club)--these are always next to the store, and may have an attendant to help with problems but not to take money or pump gas for you.  Other automatic locations are not generally open to the general public, existing to serve primarily fleet clients.

Quote from: Chris
Also interesting is the price difference between cash payments, and payments with a credit card. We don't have that either in Euroland, it's all the same, whether you pay with cash, debit card or credit card.

In my experience, the cash price difference tends to be around 4 or 5 cents per gallon lower than the debit/credit price, and is usually not more than 10 cents. The cash discount is usually employed by independent/non-chain stations as a cost-cutting measure.  When the customer uses a credit card for the transaction, the station is charged for the credit transaction (which can be a flat rate or a percentage of the total purchase). This transaction fee cuts into the bottom line of these independent operators, so offering a cash discount is one way to make up for that.

Quote from: Chris
The last question is, do all gas stations also sell diesel? Or do you need to go to a truckstop for that? I figured that diesel isn't very popular in the U.S., and some gas station may not offer it.

Not all gasoline stations sell diesel. Those stations that do are usually major chains (Texaco, Shell, Chevron, etc.) and usually have only a small number of fueling stations (maybe 10%) with diesel pumps.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

deathtopumpkins

There's only one station I've ever seen personally with separate prices for cash and credit, and it was a Texaco.
And the only station around here with full service is a BP, and only one island is full service, the others are self-serve.

As for the New Jersey hassle--that's why you fill up before you cross the state line.  :-D
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

agentsteel53

I can still find gas stations with repair facilities without too much difficulty.  Usually in a rural area, any exit that has gas stations will have at least two or three (gotta give competition!) and one of them will be a garage.  This is a Good Thing if one's car starts experiencing problems... or if you need a new tire quickly!

jake@aaroads.com

Scott5114

Another reason for the cash discount is because cash customers have to pay inside, so they're more likely to see something inside (food, drink) to add to their purchase.

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 23, 2009, 06:55:19 PM
I can still find gas stations with repair facilities without too much difficulty.  Usually in a rural area, any exit that has gas stations will have at least two or three (gotta give competition!) and one of them will be a garage.  This is a Good Thing if one's car starts experiencing problems... or if you need a new tire quickly!

Lebo, Kansas is such a town. Van was overheating...they fixed it within 3 hours (even with a part needing to be brought from Emporia), let us wander around the garage while they did so, and even watered the dog for us!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Sykotyk

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 23, 2009, 05:18:37 PM
I hardly ever see full-serve these days, though gas stations in several states do have a sticker on the pump that says "if you are disabled, please push this button and an attendant will pump the gas for you for free". 

That's because in most states it's the law that they MUST pump fuel for someone with a handicap placard (except at 'cardlock' stations with no attendant). My father's handicapped, so I'm well aware of the law. And the don't need a button, intercom, etc. Just pull up, honk your horn, and they're required to come out and pump your gas for you if you have a handicap placard.

As for the price disparity for cash/credit, that's mostly for diesel for commercial fueling (a credit transaction for 200 gallons of diesel, for example, is quite high). So there's incentive to pay cash to avoid the added fee the credit card company charges. Gas stations have mostly switched over to no price difference, generally by just charging more for all transactions, cash or credit. With the slow ascent of gas prices, the added cost just isn't noticed.

Where I live there's a group of gas stations that are 'cash only'. Their price is always cheaper than anywhere else because they don't pay the monthly service fees and transaction fees to the credit card companies so they can provide a cheaper price.

Sykotyk

akotchi

Quite a few of the stations in SE Pennsylvania and central New Jersey, especially Valero, charge different rates for cash and credit.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

myosh_tino

Where I live (S.F. Bay Area), it is becoming more and more common to see stations give a discount for customers paying cash versus credit/debit and it's not just the independents, most Valero and some 76 (Conoco/Philips) stations do this.  Self-serve is the norm here and full service is almost non-existent.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

WillWeaverRVA

Most Shell stations in Virginia charge differently for cash and credit. Also, I've never encountered a full-serve gas station here. There might be some out west in more rural areas, though. The only full-serve stations I've seen are in a few villages in PA, and throughout NJ (where, as mentioned before, self-serve is prohibited).
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Bryant5493

So, with the full service in Jersey and Oregon, do you have to tip the attendant?

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

signalman

Just a few clarifications...

I manage a gas station in New Jersey.  My station does not have split pricing, but many locations do.  There is no discount for paying cash, the cash price is the price.  You pay a premium to charge it.  Basically the station is passing along the credit card processing fees to the customer.  These card processing fees can be very high, and gas has a very small profit for the station to begin with...usually around 12 cents a gallon.  So, as an example if a customer wants $10 on a card, it's about 4 gallons.  So we made a whopping 48 cents on the sale, but it cost us 50 cents to process the transaction and we're at a net loss of 2 cents plus what I had to pay an attendant to pump it.  Also, I don't know why it's such a big deal that one can't pump their own gas in NJ.  It makes it easier for the customer.  We also have much cheaper prices than neighboring NY and PA, mostly because the tax on gas is about the lowest in the nation, 14 cents a gallon.  While they're getting gas they're free to use the bathroom, get snacks/soda, stretch their legs, smoke a cigarette...whatever without having to monitor the gas being dispensed.  The full service in NJ also allows us to have cheaper insurance since all employees have been trained in safe gas dispensing techniques.  I know I've witnessed some extremely stupid moves in self serve states...smoking at the pump, cell phone usage while pumping, filling gas cans still inside the car, etc.  In NJ the attendant must inform the customer of the dangers of doing such things and if they still refuse to comply I tell them to leave. 

About tipping...it certainly isn't required as we're being paid hourly.  But tips are greatly appreciated.  You try running around on a 90 degree day or a 5 degree day with 50 mph winds or when it's raining.  It doesn't make for a very pleasurable working experience.  I know I'm the one who chose to go into the gasoline business and for that I have to accept the fact that I must work in all kinds of weather.  But my station is located on a very busy road and the place can get very busy in the blink of an eye.  Things can get very stressful...trying to remember who's paying cash, who's charging it.  Did the person already pay me or am I still waiting for payment.  Tips certainly do help make the day better...not only because I end up with more tax free money, but also it shows me that the customer appreciates the service.  I try to work for tips when time permits...washing windows, asking to check oil and tire pressure.  However, sometimes it's just too busy to give each customer that personal attention.  Just my view on things on the retail end.

Truvelo

One thing that really annoys me when I fill up in the US is some pumps require you to enter your zip code after swiping the card. This is fine for US citizens but for foreigners like me it's a real pain as my UK postcode isn't recognised. Is this on the increase? I remember on my first visit there weren't half as many zip code entering pumps as there are now.

Another thing I hate with US gas stations is the gas won't flow until you've prepaid, either by swiping the card in the pump or giving your card or a deposit to the cashier. Why is this? Is driving off without paying for gas a real problem? Over here you always pay afterwards except in a few of the roughest neighbourhoods where it's prepay during the night.
Speed limits limit life

wandering drive

I've never had to enter my zip code after swiping my card.  It might have to do with your credit card and not the gas station, but I'm not sure.

QuoteIs driving off without paying for gas a real problem?
Yes it is, especially after last summer's record gas prices.  Some stations still allow you to pay inside after pumping, but only for pumps closest to the building.  Those pumps often have placards that warn motorists that they will lose their license if they drive off without paying. 

rawmustard

Quote from: wandering drive on August 24, 2009, 10:02:44 AM
I've never had to enter my zip code after swiping my card.  It might have to do with your credit card and not the gas station, but I'm not sure.

I think it has to do with the specific station. I know when I filled up at a Pilot outside Terre Haute, the pump asked for my ZIP, but usually stations won't ask for that. Some will ask whether the card is a debit, but even it it does, I could still have mine process as a credit transaction, since my fill-ups don't ever exceed the credit company's transaction limit, which I wouldn't think debit transactions are subject. Of course, some stations will process my card as credit regardless and thus not ask if the card is a debit.

Chris

Hmm in Europe, you usually always pay after you've pumped at staffed gas stations. I usually fill up at an automated Shell Express station, since they discount € 0.10 per liter ($ 0.50 per gallon). First you pay with a debit card (not sure if they accept credit cards), then you'll gas up, and the filled amount is being taken from your account.

Credit card acceptance is particularly low in the Netherlands. I know most supermarkets only accept cash or (Dutch) bank cards. Staffed gas stations shouldn't be a problem with credit cards.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Truvelo on August 24, 2009, 09:50:37 AM
Is driving off without paying for gas a real problem?

yep.  people here can be awfully uncivilized.  just see how they deface that picture of the police officer on the sticker that says "do not drive off without paying". 

jake@aaroads.com

J N Winkler

Just to add my perspective on a couple of things:

Compulsory full-serve.  I dislike this.  First, when I stop to refuel, I have a defined procedure not just for filling up, but also recording the amount spent, the number of gallons dispensed, and the mileage (including trip odometer, which I reset at every fillup).  In addition, unless I have washed the car very recently, I clean the windshield, mirrors, and headlamps.  I don't want anyone getting in my way while I do this and I don't want to feel pressured to get any of it done too quickly.  It is my responsibility to drive with the car's fuel supply made safe, with headlamps that work, and a windshield I can see through.

Second, I have driven in both NJ and Oregon and discovered that gas jockeys vary widely in skill.  In Oregon, for example, I drove up with a nearly empty tank (15.5-gallon capacity) and the gas jockey concluded he had filled it full after just 2 gallons because he pumped the gas in so fast the automatic shutoff engaged prematurely.  Because I had had to give him my credit card before he would start pumping gas, he sent through the charge and gave me the receipt to sign before I even realized what had happened.  It took half an hour to get the receipt amended and I had to watch him as he pumped in more gas, slowly, to avoid tripping the shutoff.  It would have been much faster for me to have pumped the gas myself because I knew (to within a gallon) how much I needed.  I also know that my car tends to trigger pump shutoffs early; they don't.

ZIP codes at pumps.  This is a very common anti-fraud measure.  I would think that the software would be smart enough to recognize that a credit card does not have a US billing address and so won't have a ZIP code, but it appears this is not the case.  Where a non-US credit card has to be used, I would suggest the following sequence:

*  Hit "OK" without entering a ZIP code

*  Assuming this fails, enter a null ZIP code (00000) and see what happens

Split cash/credit pricing.  I had always understood that the major credit card issuers (Visa and MasterCard) prohibit businesses from offering different prices for cash or credit.  Is this still the case, and if so, then how do gas stations and other businesses get around it?

In California, ARCO has long had a cash-only policy, explicitly to save the costs associated with accepting credit cards.

Edit:  Mexico is another jurisdiction which has compulsory full-serve.  Supply of motor fuel is a Pemex monopoly, but the individual gas stations are operated on a franchise system and the individual operators vary somewhat in honesty.  The standard advice for many years has been to make sure that the pumps are zeroed before the gas starts flowing, and to go into a gas station with a good idea (in liters) of exactly how much gas you need to fill the tank.  You can ask either for a fixed volume of gasoline, or to have the tank filled.  Checking that the pump has been zeroed is easier said than done for an obvious gringo since the typical Pemex gas jockey will have the cap off and nozzle in the tank before you are out of the car door.  However, in my travels south of the border, I don't think I have ever been subjected to a Pemex pump-zeroing scam (certainly not one that caused me to lose more than five dollars).

Gasoline in Mexico is not particularly cheap.  I see, from my gas data book, that I paid M$225.00 for 40 L of magna sin (as unleaded regular is called in Mexico) in early January 2002.  The nationwide average price in the US for unleaded regular was $1.11 per gallon and the exchange rate was M$9.14 = US$1 (average price from DOE EIA, exchange rate from Oanda.com, both dated January 7, 2002).  The equivalent Mexican price, in US currency and units, was $2.33 per gallon.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

SSOWorld

Quote from: J N Winkler on August 24, 2009, 01:33:27 PM
In California, ARCO has long had a cash-only policy, explicitly to save the costs associated with accepting credit cards.
Well, I better not stop at an ARCO when I head to California next week :paranoid:
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

agentsteel53

the Mexican gas prices tend to be much more stable than that of the US.  When it was $4.60 in San Diego, it was only up to about $3.20 in Tijuana, so people were making border crossings just to fill up.  The diesel price discrepancy was even greater: $5 vs $2.50 or so, which made it a very reasonable option for a tractor-trailer operator, or even someone with an RV, to tank up south of the border. 

jake@aaroads.com

corco

In my experience ARCO accepts debit, but not credit cards, and then adds a flat $.50 transaction fee if you use debit- which negates any fuel cost savings

yanksfan6129

As a resident on New Jersey, I love full service gas stations. It is a undoubtedly a convenience to have someone pump your gas for you AND pay among the lowest prices for gas in the country. Not to mention, this creates JOBS for people. There is demand for gas station attendants that may not exist in other places.

Governors of NJ frequently toss around eliminating required full-serv gas stations as an excuse to raise the gas tax; their logic is that if you eliminate a cost of gas stations (the cost of paying the attendants), then even if you raise the tax by several cents, the price won't go up. But let's be honest: if NJ eliminates required full-serv, do you really think that the price of retail gas will go down? I don't think so.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.