News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Longest numbered road without a control city?

Started by TheStranger, February 25, 2010, 06:48:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheStranger

Another "branch off" from a previous thread: in my 3di control cities thread, several examples of states using no controls for their urban Interstate routes exist (some as a matter of policy, others as individual exceptions).  California of course has the well known I-605, though I-805 southbound also lacks a control city as well.

Are there any numbered routes (not just 3dis) out there that extend for a decent duration without ever having a signed pull-through destination?  In California, the aforementioned southbound side of I-805 (at 28 miles) is just by a hair, the longest one I can think of.
Chris Sampang

Alps

Signs on the NJ Turnpike use Thru Traffic the entire way, that's over 100 miles...

akotchi

Quote from: AlpsROADS on February 25, 2010, 07:12:08 PM
Signs on the NJ Turnpike use Thru Traffic the entire way, that's over 100 miles...

Not for long.  I am seeing to that personally!
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

vdeane

How are you seeing to it personally?

For a while I-81 north of Watertown apparently had no control cities (these day Canada is the control city).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

akotchi

I am part of one of the many project teams working on the widening of the Turnpike between Interchanges 6 and 9, specifically in the Interchange 6 area.  Our proposed signing includes mainline control cities at this interchange, since sometime in the future I-95 will (officially) enter the Turnpike at this point.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

froggie

I-494 runs about 41 miles without a control city.

I'm thinking this example is closer to what Mr. Sampang is looking for, though:  I-59 between Slidell and Hattiesburg, though it has control cities signed from the sideroad interchanges, lacks pull-through control city signs for 77 miles.

TheStranger

Quote from: akotchi on February 26, 2010, 12:48:06 PM
I am part of one of the many project teams working on the widening of the Turnpike between Interchanges 6 and 9, specifically in the Interchange 6 area.  Our proposed signing includes mainline control cities at this interchange, since sometime in the future I-95 will (officially) enter the Turnpike at this point.

Out of curiosity, would "Philadelphia" and "NYC" be the likely candidates for pullthrough?

Froggie: Both examples work actually.  Does 494 ever have destinations signed at onramps?
Chris Sampang

froggie

akotchi

Quote from: TheStranger on February 26, 2010, 01:42:09 PM
Quote from: akotchi on February 26, 2010, 12:48:06 PM

Out of curiosity, would "Philadelphia" and "NYC" be the likely candidates for pullthrough?

Froggie: Both examples work actually.  Does 494 ever have destinations signed at onramps?

NYC for northbound; Camden and Wilmington for southbound.

SignBridge

For many years the New Jersey Turnpike used Trenton as the southbound destination at entrances and New York for northbound. It's interesting to note that the NJT being a self-supporting toll road has had their own signing system since day one. I believe they are the only toll road in the Northeast that still does, the Connecticut Tpk. and NY Thruway having converted at least 20 years ago to the national "standard" system.

The NJT is only recently converting to reflective bright green background having used non-reflecting dark green for many years. But, it looks like they're staying with their own unique shaped arrows and sign legend format.

SSOWorld

Quote from: froggie on February 26, 2010, 02:22:29 PM
No.  494 is completely control-cityless.

Curious about 694 - I don't remember if that route has them but I'm suspecting so.  It was the intended bypass of the cities for I-94.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

dfilpus

Quote from: Master son on March 03, 2010, 10:41:44 AM
Quote from: froggie on February 26, 2010, 02:22:29 PM
No.  494 is completely control-cityless.

Curious about 694 - I don't remember if that route has them but I'm suspecting so.  It was the intended bypass of the cities for I-94.
694 is also cityless.

Revive 755

There's not some secret numbering out there for the Blue Ridge Parkway and Natchez Trace Parkway, is there?

74/171FAN

Quote from: Revive 755 on March 03, 2010, 11:46:41 AM
There's not some secret numbering out there for the Blue Ridge Parkway and Natchez Trace Parkway, is there?
I know from the VA Highways Project that the Blue Ridge Pkwy is secretly VA 48.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

dfilpus

Quote from: 74/171FAN on March 03, 2010, 03:18:45 PM
Quote from: Revive 755 on March 03, 2010, 11:46:41 AM
I know from the VA Highways Project that the Blue Ridge Pkwy is secretly VA 48.
But it is unnumbered in NC.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.