News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The 7 worst roads in America (according to Reader's Digest)

Started by WNYroadgeek, April 09, 2010, 10:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WNYroadgeek

mightyace

Quote5. The Pennsylvania Turnpike, I-78 and I-80 in Pennsylvania
"Vehicles have gotten wider and bigger since these roads were built, and they're still very narrow. They've also got a lot of hills and curves, and people are always crossing over into the other lane when they go around a curve. Plus, their on-ramps are very short, and there's not enough time for people to get up to highway speed. So you end up with lots of people running into the back of slow-moving vehicles as they're getting off a ramp

I can definitely understand the Turnpike and to a lesser degree I-78.  But, I-80?  Except around Stroudsburg, the shoulders are wide unless they're complaining it's only 4 lane.  But, other than the hills, there's not enough traffic for 6 lanes.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Kacie Jane

I haven't been on most of these, and the Pennsylvania ones I haven't been on in about a decade.  But I've got to disagree strongly with the inclusion of the GWB. If they'd said I-95 from the GWB to New Haven, I would have agreed wholeheartedly, but not the bridge itself.

The bridge itself is about 10x better than the Tappan Zee, and better than the two tunnels by a smidge.  When it talks about people driving 30-40 miles to avoid it, I'm assuming that's the Newburgh bridge.  The only reasons to take the Newburgh bridge (not that they're bad reasons) are because the toll is $1 instead of $8, and because it's a better route if you're going past the city/southeastern CT -- and neither of those reasons have anything to do with the GWB itself.

roadfro

#3 is I-15 in California from Barstow to Primm.  A reasonable candidate, considering its condition and the amount of traffic between Vegas and SoCal. The difference in road surface as one crosses the state line into Nevada at Primm is quite striking.

This stretch should be undergoing an expansion from four to six lanes, including new/extended truck lanes and reconstructed overpasses to accommodate the widened freeway. I believe the existing surface will be either resurfaced or completely reconstructed as well.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

vdeane

I'm surprised the I-79/I-70 interchange is mentioned.  Sure, nobody likes it, but there are plenty of other examples that are just as bad, including I-90/OH 2, I-90/I-87, I-90/Berkshire Spur... and that's just when the through road goes in a tight curve!  There are many others that don't have this property that are just as bad.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

PAHighways

Quote from: WNYroadgeek on April 09, 2010, 10:27:37 PM
http://shine.yahoo.com/event/travel/7-worst-roads-in-america-1229355/

This'll spark some interesting discussion.

This article was posted to my site's Facebook page the other day.

The I-70/I-79 interchange is horrible because traffic continuing on 79 northbound will back-up almost to 40 sometimes.  This situation might be rectified as an article in the Washington Times-Observer last month said bids would start to be accepted in December for a rebuild project but that was before the I-80 tolling plan was axed.

I guess Mr. Silio never drove west past I-380 or else he'd see that it is up to modern standards.

agentsteel53

Quote from: roadfro on April 10, 2010, 11:32:35 AM
The difference in road surface as one crosses the state line into Nevada at Primm is quite striking.

if you count highway patrol as "road surface", yes, very striking.  I once raced someone down the hill from the creatively named Mountain Pass.  I pulled up at the state line.  He kept going about 116mph and I am sure his license made a very satisfying snapping noise as the officers broke it in half and placed into a heretofore unused storage area.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

SSOWorld

Quote4. I-79/I-70 interchange in Pennsylvania
"If you're going north on 79 and you need to go west on 70, the ramp is U-shaped. You've got to slow down to 25 to get around this crazy U. There is a wall around it that is just beat to pieces where people have banged into it."  - Trucker Clarence Jenkins, Charleston, West Virginia
I can "almost" vouch for that one - the very ramp doesn't give much merge space and I nearly got squashed by a dump truck.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

leifvanderwall

Louisiana better shape up! I guess Michigan drivers have something to feel really good about.

hbelkins

I don't get I-12. Lots of places have 6-to-4 merges. They're trying to blame the wrecks on the stretch of four-lane I-65 in Kentucky on the fact that it's six lanes to the north and to the south.

If I-12's included, why not, say, I-81 north and south of Bristol?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Revive 755

Where the heck is I-55 over the PSB on that list?  Northbound lanes of the stupid thing backed up a mile on a late Sunday afternoon, and that bridge is due for to be repaved yet again.  This one should be on there over the I-70/79 interchange (though I've only used the I-70 through movement in that interchange).

I-70 between I-79 and the Ripoff ought to be on there over I-80 in Pennsylvania.

bugo

I agree with the Will Rogers Turnpike (one half of the Dethpike) but the Turner Turnpike (the other half of the Dethpike) is just as dangerous if not more so.  The same kind of hilly, narrow, mind-numbingly straight choked with traffic deathtrap as the Will Rogers.  At least the speed limit is 75.

agentsteel53

Quote from: bugo on April 12, 2010, 12:11:55 AMAt least the speed limit is 75.

Hell yeah.  Beats the deathtraps whose speed limit is a lazy 55.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

LeftyJR

Quote from: PAHighways on April 10, 2010, 12:46:49 PM

This article was posted to my site's Facebook page the other day.

The I-70/I-79 interchange is horrible because traffic continuing on 79 northbound will back-up almost to 40 sometimes.  This situation might be rectified as an article in the Washington Times-Observer last month said bids would start to be accepted in December for a rebuild project but that was before the I-80 tolling plan was axed.

I guess Mr. Silio never drove west past I-380 or else he'd see that it is up to modern standards.

Jeff, I agree.  I-80 in PA is in great shape once you get past the easternmost 15 miles or so.

Mr_Northside

Obviously, in the last 4 years they could have repaved/rebuilt in the area, but back in fall 2006 the stretch where the future I-99/I-80 duplex will be was in horrific shape.
Wow... now that I type that out, it doesn't feel like that was that long ago... 4 years.  Damn.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.