News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Route Ends with the Exact Same Character

Started by agentsteel53, November 01, 2012, 03:21:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

the CA-56 freeway starts off at a freeway (I-5) with some inexplicable traffic lights along the connections, and ends at a freeway (I-15) with some inexplicable traffic lights along the connections.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Big John

roadman65

US 62  has  both ends with an international bridge nearby.

Sheryl Crowe

agentsteel53

the old US-6 (pre-1964) had, at each terminus, the road going the complete opposite of the route's overall direction.

jake@aaroads.com

The High Plains Traveler

"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

Takumi

VA 13. Not much of anything on either end, or between for that matter. As a bonus, it ends at the same route both times.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

kkt

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on November 01, 2012, 04:45:29 PM
I-5

Not really.  San Diego is a pretty big city, with a big navy base, colleges, tourism year-round.  Blaine is a sleepy little town that doesn't have any of those things.  Also the San Ysidro border crossing gets about 4 x the traffic as Blaine.

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: kkt on November 01, 2012, 06:11:02 PM
I-5

Not really.  San Diego is a pretty big city, with a big navy base, colleges, tourism year-round.  Blaine is a sleepy little town that doesn't have any of those things.  Also the San Ysidro border crossing gets about 4 x the traffic as Blaine.
No route that long is going to have exactly the same character, but you have an interstate adjacent to the ocean, going directly into a major international crossing (not all interstates at the border do this) on both ends. "Exactly" is a pretty high hurdle.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

Kacie Jane

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on November 01, 2012, 06:55:03 PM
I-5

No route that long is going to have exactly the same character, but you have an interstate adjacent to the ocean, going directly into a major international crossing (not all interstates at the border do this) on both ends. "Exactly" is a pretty high hurdle.

As much as I see your point, I think kkt is clearly right here.  The two ends of I-5 are similar -- both being relatively major border crossings -- but I think their character is certainly one place where they are not.  (While I'd be hesitant to call Blaine "sleepy", to say it's in any way similar to San Diego would be laughable.)

Also, Boundary Bay and the Strait of Georgia do not equal the ocean.  I-5 is over 100 miles from the Pacific Ocean at its northern end, far from adjacent.

national highway 1

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on November 01, 2012, 06:55:03 PM
I-5

I-5 is the only x5 interstate to touch both Mexican and Canadian borders.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Roadsguy

Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

hbelkins

I-99.

Both ends are not at other interstates, but very close to them.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Ian

I suppose NJ 70 could qualify. To the west it ends in Cherry Hill as a divided highway with jughandle intersections. To the east, it ends in Point Pleasant the exact same way.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

agentsteel53

both ends of I-405 in California end at multilane high-speed merges with I-5.  they are each at such an acute angle with I-5 that if one is paralleling the ending road on I-5 (northbound in Sylmar, southbound in Irvine), they receive no signage whatsoever for I-405 (not even a "to I-405, use [X surface street]") and if one is unfamiliar with the freeways, they would have no idea what road just merged in.

furthermore, both ends feature truck and regular ramps for the split.

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

NJ:
US 1: Both ends in NJ are a freeway bridge in a city that requires you to pay a toll.
NJ 3: While the entire length is six lanes, both ends are four lanes at a divided US highway that's not a freeway.
NJ 7, western half: Both ends are at borders and not at routes (Essex/Passaic Co. line, Belleville/Newark line)
NJ 13: Self-explanatory
NJ 18: For now, both ends are 4-lane freeways with planned extensions.
NJ 23: Although much of the highway is divided, both ends are undivided and at a county route, not a state route or better.
NJ 36: Both ends are four-lane divided at a set of elongated Parkway ramps. (Much of the route is undivided.) Once upon a time, both sets of Parkway ramps had internal numbers, but 444R was dropped (444S remains).
NJ 44: Both ends are in a suburban town on the side of US 130 while 130 itself is up on a freeway (44 is old 130).
NJ 56: Both ends are at 2-digit state highways where the road continues but not as 56.
NJ 62: Both ends turn from four lanes (on 62) into two lanes on Union Blvd., numbered as the same county route. Both ends are defined at the far edges of interchanges with divided highways below. Both ends are in the same town, for that matter.
NJ 64: Self-explanatory
NJ 66: Both ends are at strange-shaped traffic circles with 2-digit odd-numbered highways beginning with "3".
NJ 70: Both ends flow seamlessly into multi-lane divided highways beginning with "3" in a suburban milieu.
NJ 77: Both ends are at a odd-numbered 4x route in a sizable South Jersey town that's not the county seat.
NJ 81: Both ends are interchanges with a four-roadway freeway and ramps for local access on the south side of Newark Airport. Both ends have "BEGIN" and "END" 81 signs and there are no other 81 reassurances between them.
NJ 83: Both ends are rural Shore intersections with major through roads. No one's heard of Dennis. I thought I'd just throw that last one in there.
NJ 92: Both ends don't exist, but almost did. (I've had 3 beers since I started this post. Celebrating the return of electricity.)
NJ 133: Until the new interchange opens, both ends have been at signalized intersections requiring jughandles from the cross street to make a left turn, but with the ability to make a direct left turn from 133. Except for both ends, 133 is a freeway. (Note: construction at the east end/33 has since resulted in a direct left turn, as part of the eventual SPUI to be constructed there. But the final configuration won't open until probably 2014.)
NJ 152: Both ends are not at a state highway. At both ends, the road continues as a town street.
NJ 156: Self-explanatory
NJ 158, when it existed: Both ends were at city streets; 158 never intersected a state highway. (It was a converted railroad bridge from Newark to Harrison.)
NJ 162: Both ends are on the same county route, and include a sharp-angled turnoff for the old road that crossed the old pre-162 bridge at that location.
NJ 167, former definition: When it still existed in two pieces or in its original definition, NJ 167 began at two-lane US 9 on both ends and dead-ended in the middle; more recently, the southern half was decommissioned, so this no longer counts.
NJ 169, when it existed: Both ends were at half-interchanges with NJ 440 that were planned to be full interchanges if 440 had been completed as intended.
NJ 195: Both ends turn into a four-lane divided state highway at a modified cloverleaf interchange. (NJ 29 at the west end temporarily has more lanes, but those can be considered auxiliary.)
NJ 208: Both ends are 2-lane/2-lane splits with a divided highway with no median breaks. Both ends have local access within 1/4 mile.
NJ 324: Both ends are dead-ends. (Although they're somewhat different, I think that's pretty unique for a state highway.)
NJ 347: Self-explanatory

Special mention: CR 506: Both ends are a wye with a state highway (159 and 7). (Admittedly, it's already multiplexed with 7 at the east end, but it's still a wye split.)

Kacie Jane

Quote from: Steve on November 01, 2012, 10:08:00 PM
NJ 92: Both ends don't exist, but almost did. (I've had 3 beers since I started this post. Celebrating the return of electricity.)

There's been a lot of funny stuff on this board, but outside of the Alanland thread, this is the best I've seen recently.  Cheers, my good man.

Roadgeek Adam

QuoteNJ 167, former definition: When it still existed in two pieces or in its original definition, NJ 167 began at two-lane US 9 on both ends and dead-ended in the middle; more recently, the southern half was decommissioned, so this no longer counts.

Hold on, when was NJ 167 south decommissioned? I haven't heard anything.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

national highway 1

"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Alps

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on November 01, 2012, 11:57:00 PM
QuoteNJ 167, former definition: When it still existed in two pieces or in its original definition, NJ 167 began at two-lane US 9 on both ends and dead-ended in the middle; more recently, the southern half was decommissioned, so this no longer counts.

Hold on, when was NJ 167 south decommissioned? I haven't heard anything.
In that case, it still counts.

roadman65

FL 50 at both ends are with a US Highway that is the last major N-S highway before a large body of water.
FL 70 is the same.
US 92 ends on both sides with state route designations.  In fact its only other connection to the US Route system is via junctions.
FL 60 on both ends are near large bodies of water.
FL 80 on both ends are in popular Florida cities: Fort Myers and Palm Beach
FL 436 ends with interchanges on both sides.
FL 414 has the same only with interchanges on both sides modified from its original design.
FL 527 continues as other routes at either end.
FL 482 continues also as other county roads cause FL 528 is part of the OOCEA that is a county agency.
FL 408 used to end at FL 50 at both ends, but now its west end is at the FL Turnpike.
FL 535 ends at popular tourist areas on both sides: US 192 Resort Area and Lake Buena Vista. There are hotels at each terminus.
FL 417 (for now) ends at I-4 at each end.
FL 415 ends at two routes starting in the digit "4."
FL 46 ends at US Routes.

Sheryl Crowe

luokou

I-405 Oregon's termini end with left exits to I-5 South.  Both ends of western I-84 feature trumpet interchanges (although a bit wonky at the I-80 end).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.