News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Shortest road name?

Started by agentsteel53, January 15, 2013, 05:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

the commonly found "A Street" and its 25 cousins are 8 characters, including the space.

there is a local road called "Ian Way", which is 7.

is there an "A Way" or the like?  that seems to be the minimum, at 5.  unless someone can think of shorter.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

english si

Strand gives you a 5 character lane (often erroneously given a definite article). There's also 'Poultry' for 7, mentioned just for being a funny name.

I was kind of hoping this was a 3, but sadly it's a 6: SR A1A. And yes, that is the road name.

CentralCAroadgeek

Well, Y Road exists on 101 several miles south of Gilroy. Only six characters though.

NE2

A Lan, a short street off Goa Terrace.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

NE2

Quote from: english si on January 15, 2013, 06:27:30 PM
I was kind of hoping this was a 3, but sadly it's a 6: SR A1A. And yes, that is the road name.
That's State Road A1A. Otherwise SR 2 would be three.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

roadman65

Other than the lettered streets and avenues, I am sure there are two letter names.  In fact someplace in New Jersey, I remember a two letter name.  I cannot remember where, but it (and I am sure many others) exist.

Nye Avenue in Newark (the I-78  frontage road) is one that I know for sure and where its at.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

triplemultiplex

Lettered streets can be found all over the place; not as common as other themes, but they're around.

I can say that there's not enough short, little names on all the tiny, dead end cul du sacs (hey, redundancy!) out there in suburbia.  On behalf of every map in the world, there ought to be a character limit on those stupid things, man.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

agentsteel53

Quote from: english si on January 15, 2013, 06:27:30 PM
Strand gives you a 5 character lane (often erroneously given a definite article).

you mean 6, I presume?

still, that is shorter than "Ian Way" by one.

I had forgotten about "Y Road" (it's very close to a cateyed sign!).  If there is gonna be a lettered "way", it is probably gonna be "Y Way" somewhere, because Y has the use of a fork in the road, as well as being part of an indexing scheme.

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

xcellntbuy

There are A Road, B Road, C Road, D Road and I believe E Road in Palm Beach County, Florida, west of West Palm Beach.  B Road is somewhat of a major thoroughfare in parts.

DaBigE

Quote from: triplemultiplex on January 15, 2013, 07:23:04 PM
On behalf of every map in the world, there ought to be a character limit on those stupid things, man.

Interesting notion. Upon looking up some design regulations, I came across such policies for Sun Prairie, Wisconsin (edited for length):

Quote from: 15.32.040 - Roadway naming standards
A. Selection of Roadway Names.
1.  Roadway Name Length. Roadway names shall have no fewer than three and no more than fourteen (14) characters. If the roadway will cross a baseline, thereby requiring a directional prefix, then the roadway name shall be limited to twelve (12) characters. A space between two words is considered a character.
11.  Numbers and Alphabet. Numerical names (1st, second, etc.) or alphabet letter names (A Street, B Drive) will not be approved.
13.  Abbreviations. Roadway names may not contain abbreviations. For example "Saint" must be written out in full.
15.  Punctuation. Punctuation is not allowed in roadway names. Names shall not contain hyphens, apostrophes, or other non-letter characters.
17.  Multi-word Roadway Names. Roadway names shall be comprised of no more than two words. A roadway name may only contain one space if it is a multi-word name.

http://library.municode.com/HTML/13968/level3/SUHITA_TIT15BUCO_CH15.32RONAPRADDIST.html#SUHITA_TIT15BUCO_CH15.32RONAPRADDIST_15.32.040RONAST
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

agentsteel53

QuoteRoadway names shall be comprised of no more than two words.

grammar fail.  fucking elected officials.

jake@aaroads.com

Kacie Jane

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 15, 2013, 09:54:45 PM

What's the error here?  :confused:

NE2

The prescriptive definition of comprise is contain, not compose. There's enough misusage that the latter has become part of the descriptive definition. Since it's always clear what's being said, I don't see it as a major issue.

PS: the correct wording here is "shall comprise no more than".

Kacie Jane

Quote from: NE2 on January 15, 2013, 10:23:04 PM
There's enough misusage...

That's an understatement, as I'm relatively certain I've only ever heard "be comprised of".

FWIW, here's Merriam-Webster's take:
QuoteAlthough it has been in use since the late 18th century, sense 3 is still attacked as wrong. Why it has been singled out is not clear, but until comparatively recent times it was found chiefly in scientific or technical writing rather than belles lettres. Our current evidence shows a slight shift in usage: sense 3 is somewhat more frequent in recent literary use than the earlier senses. You should be aware, however, that if you use sense 3 you may be subject to criticism for doing so, and you may want to choose a safer synonym such as compose or make up.

formulanone

Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out.

mgk920

Let's see - Chicago has 'Avenue A' through 'Avenue O'.  Also, don't forget those famous 'lettered' streets in Washington, DC.

Mike

Alps

I should note that in the Midwest, frequently small towns drop all road identifiers. You'll come in and see "D," "C," "B," "A" in order on street blade signs. Can't really get shorter than that.

agentsteel53

The prescriptive definition of comprise is contain, not compose. There's enough misusage that the latter has become part of the descriptive definition. Since it's always clear what's being said, I don't see it as a major issue.

yeah, generally I wouldn't complain, but this is my tax dollars being wasted on shitty law clerks, so I will in this instance.

actual lawyers on the forum: could that grammatical error be exploited as a loophole?  "well, your Honor, Lower Possum Bottom Belly Liberador General Road is not, by strict definition, comprised of more than two words."

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

Quote from: Steve on January 16, 2013, 08:12:21 AM
I should note that in the Midwest, frequently small towns drop all road identifiers. You'll come in and see "D," "C," "B," "A" in order on street blade signs. Can't really get shorter than that.

got any evidence of formal US Postal Service proscription of this? 

yes, I probably could mail a letter to "11660 A, Springfield" and it will get there, but is that correct?

jake@aaroads.com

1995hoo

The irony of this post, which contains a grammar failure itself.....  :-D
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

agentsteel53

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 16, 2013, 09:54:01 AM

good point.  colloquially, though, saying "fail" gets my point across a lot faster, I think.

again, it's not poor grammar in general which I dislike (goodness knows I use plenty of it myself!) but rather, the use of poor grammar by those who theoretically are supposed to be experts at writing all the fine-print stuff which trips up ordinary folks all the time. 

jake@aaroads.com

1995hoo

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 16, 2013, 09:56:45 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on January 16, 2013, 09:54:01 AM

good point.  colloquially, though, saying "fail" gets my point across a lot faster, I think.

again, it's not poor grammar in general which I dislike (goodness knows I use plenty of it myself!) but rather, the use of poor grammar by those who theoretically are supposed to be experts at writing all the fine-print stuff which trips up ordinary folks all the time. 

Yeah, you'll notice I put the laughing smiley there for a reason. I didn't really care all that much. I simply found it amusing to see the faddish misuse of "fail" in a comment pointing out a grammatical error!

It's a good thing I never make misteaks.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jeffandnicole

There's "Ox Road" in the Fairfax, VA area.

empirestate

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 16, 2013, 09:30:23 AM

yeah, generally I wouldn't complain, but this is my tax dollars being wasted on shitty law clerks, so I will in this instance.

actual lawyers on the forum: could that grammatical error be exploited as a loophole?  "well, your Honor, Lower Possum Bottom Belly Liberador General Road is not, by strict definition, comprised of more than two words."

Could be...as written, isn't it saying that only two words in total may be used to devise all of the road names in the area? Let's see, we've got "Cat Hollow" and "Hollow Cat"...uh oh, ran out of possibilities! :-D

I actually have a friend who is a proofreader for municipal codes and would likely have caught that.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.